Skip to main content
Topic: Awning shock absorbers/"bushings" (Read 6 times) previous topic - next topic
Awning shock absorbers/"bushings"
Yahoo Message Number: 112018
Several months ago, I wrote to say these shock absorbers had broken on my awning.  Since then, having heard from several of you, I have received the repair parts from LD.  Now I want to install them.
 jpwoodruff wrote last July to say it was an "easy fix."  JP, could you be more specific on how to go about this.  Looks like I need to unfasten the bolts, install the shock absorbers, refasten IN THE RIGHT PLACE.  But that seems too easy.  Any advice before I tackle this job?

Thanks, in advance Bobbi Bennett Santa Fe NM

Re: Awning shock absorbers/"bushings"
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 112021
Several months ago, I wrote to say these shock absorbers had broken on my awning.  Since then, having heard from several of you, I have received the repair parts from LD.  Now I want to install them.
 jpwoodruff wrote last July to say it was an "easy fix."  JP, could you be more specific on how to go about this.  Looks like I need to unfasten the bolts, install the shock absorbers, refasten IN THE RIGHT PLACE.  But that seems too easy.  Any advice before I tackle this job?
I worried for a while too, but found the job to be "easy fix".
 Just remove the nut that holds the broken bushing.  The bolt stays captive at the other end.  Slide the broken bushing off and the new one on, then put the washer and nut back on.
 I repaired only one, so I'd suggest doing one-at-a-time. The awning does not move during this process.

John

Re: Awning shock absorbers/"bushings"
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 112066
John, thanks so much for the help!  Sounds as easy as you said, and I have more confidence to do the job.

Bobbi