Skip to main content
Topic: Title transfer, smog cert, and registration questions (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Title transfer, smog cert, and registration questions
Yahoo Message Number: 111916
Here is the deal.
We are going to buy a LD that is registered in CA.
The couple that owns her has just moved to Oregon.
 We want to fly up there, purchase, and then do a little trip to back home in SoCal.
 How many days do I have until I need to get her smogged and registered? I heard it was 10 days.
If so, then I guess we could stop somewhere in NorCal to get it smogged and then to a DMV?

Will the sellers address (in OR) present a problem at the CA DMV? Remember, the LD is currently registered in California.

Thanks

Re: Title transfer, smog cert, and registration questions
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111923
"Ted"  wrote: How many days do I have until I need to get her smogged and registered? I heard it was 10 days.
If so, then I guess we could stop somewhere in NorCal to get it smogged and then to a DMV?

Will the sellers address (in OR) present a problem at the CA DMV? Remember, the LD is currently registered in California.
--- Ted, these are questions that are best answered by the CA DMV; here are two links (the first was provided previously) that may help:
 http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/topbuysell.htm

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smog.htm
 Not all smog test/repair stations can or will smog motorhomes; some places don't have access or space, and some just choose not to go through the hassle. I don't know what the specific smog test requirements are for a 1995, but the current owner should be able to provide some information; s/he had to have it smogged to register it in CA, so you might ask to see the paperwork on the motorhome's previous smog certification.  Expect to pay between $80.00-$100.00, possibly more, depending on where it's done, for the smog test and certification.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111940
If you want, you don't have to do the smog now.  You can pay all fees/taxes to get the process started and then get it smogged when you get home.  They won't give you the new tags (if needed) but at least it will be in your name for the rest of the trip home.  Also, if you have AAA, you can start the process there but check to see first if the location you use does DMV stuff. Also keep in mind that if you choose a DMV, they are not open most Fridays these days. You will also need to check their hours of business.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111946
Thank you.
The AAA idea was great.
Thanks for the reminder.

We have AAA so getting the RV