Skip to main content
Topic: California Use (Sales) Tax (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
California Use (Sales) Tax
Yahoo Message Number: 111891
I am in the process of purchasing a used LD registered in CA and I live here also.

Does the CA DMV use the Bill of Sale to determine the sales tax?

If that price is "too low" does the DMV use a Bluebook value? If so, then where do they get that value from? NADA?

thanks

Re: California Use (Sales) Tax
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111896
"Ted"  wrote:

I am in the process of purchasing a used LD registered in CA and I live here also.

If that price is "too low" does the DMV use a Bluebook value? If so, then where do they get that value from? NADA? --- You might find the answers to your questions on this link:
 http://dmv.ca.gov/vr/topbuysell.htm

Definitely check all this out carefully with the DMV, but, AFAIK, the DMV accepts the sales price at face value, uses the bill of sale to determine the amount of sales tax, and all "fees" are based on the *buyer's* county of residence.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

California Use (Sales) Tax
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111898
Hi Ted, I have bought and sold cars, motorhomes and travel trailers for personal use in California for years.  They have always accepted a bill of sale with no questions asked.  Have the seller put "Sold as is, where is" on the bill of sale.  They do sometimes send a letter to the seller asking for a confirmation of the sales price, which is no problem as long as the buyer and seller have good memories and a copy of the bill of sale to refer to.  The very best, of course, is to buy from a close relative.  Then there is no tax.  I bought my LD from my daughter so I had a neat combination of low price and no sales tax. She did retain the right to use it from time to time, but that is no problem.

Gary, in Chico CA
 Posted by: "Ted"    ted_e_boy Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:06 pm (PDT)

If that price is "too low" does the DMV use a Bluebook value? If so, then where do they get that value from? NADA?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 114577
Where he registers (if sales tax applies).
That is between him, and his state of residency.

Ken Sann

Wannabe in SoCal

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 114583
Tell your buyer to call his state's Division of Motor Vehicles and get the straight dope from them. Their opinion is the only one that counts.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"