Skip to main content
Topic: The last of the Travasaks (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
The last of the Travasaks
Yahoo Message Number: 111823
Ned and I had an inspiration on our Disney trip!
 Tired of our constant space-fighting in the queen Travasak on our Mid-Bath's king sofas-bed, we decided to simply buy a 2nd twin size Travasak.
 I know... this is a brilliant idea after *only* 3 years of this squabbling. :)
 The two Twins should zip together, or at least be the perfect size  for that big bed.
 I mean, why have a bigger-than-King bed if you have to squash into a queen-size Travasak?

But woe unto the Travasaks!  The company has stopped making them!
 Yes, a few reproductions have started, but are they the same soft, luxurious, micro-suede ones beloved the RV-world over?
 I found just ONE online source with the micro-suede Travasak in stock.  They only have Twin size in the micro-suede.  (Twin is pretty wide- like 42")
 Here it is:  http://tinyurl.com/yywgdpn
 I've confirmed with Customer Service that it is the micro-suede and the "chocolate" is the brown.  The "berry" is also available.

They also have Queen in the NON-micro-suede if you want.
 Get it while you can if you want it.  (I've already ordered mine :) )

Hope that helps,

Tessa in TX '92 MB- Ciao Baby!

Re: The last of the Travasaks
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111835
Tired of our constant space-fighting in the queen Travasak on our Mid-Bath's king sofas-bed, we decided to simply buy a 2nd twin size Travasak.
But woe unto the Travasaks!  The company has stopped making them!

Yes, a few reproductions have started, but are they the same soft, luxurious, micro-suede ones beloved the RV-world over?

There is a company that makes a king size "travasak" -- they call theirs a Hacksack.  I have not seen it in person, so can't comment on it's quality.
And while it's expensive, it might be cheaper than buying two twin size...it's certainly less expensive than buying two of their twin size Hacksacks.

http://www.hacksack-leisure.com/images/hacksack.htm>

Linda Hylton http://earl-linda.blogspot.com/
Linda Hylton

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111839
Don't know about Hucksacks quality either . . . but their prices are substantially higher than Travasak (on sale). I just ordered 2 twins at $99 each from http://tinyurl.com/yywgdpn

Thanks Teresa!

bumper
Yonder
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111842
Here's a comparison of the Hacksack and Travasak.  http://tinyurl.com/y2kdntn
 They do say that Hacksack has the full-velcro along the sheet edge now.
 But is the Hacksack micro-suede?  What is "gothic quilted"?  Is that restful-sounding, I ask?  :)
 I saw some of the other groups beat us to this, like the Airstream group shared the closeouts around the end of March, snagging at least 2 other online Travasak closeout sources then.  Blah! (but I don't think they cost less).
 Finally, the King Hacksack is $272 on sale!  Yikes!  The Twin Travasaks are currently only $99 each.  So, I think Bumper's safe on the price with the 2 Twins for $200 total plus shipping.  Whew!  :)
 Fortunately, we already own one Twin and one Queen Travasak, so I only had to order one more Twin for our "plan."
 I searched again last night for you and still could not find another microsuede Travasak anywhere online.  Gold star if anyone can! :)

Tessa in TX '92 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111855
We have several Travasaks including a queen and several twins for the grandchildren when they camp with us. We also recently ordered two more twins from the same online source you found when we realized that they weren't making Travasaks anymore. I find the quality of the Travasaks to be excellent. It is too bad they won't be making them anymore.
 For ourselves we use the king size travasak like comforter that we ordered from the factory when we bought our 2007 MB. I don't like it as well as the Travasaks because it joins with Velcro on the sides (noisy if you need to get out of bed
2007 MB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111862
For ourselves we use the king size travasak like comforter that we ordered from the factory when we bought our 2007 MB. I don't like it as well as the Travasaks because it joins with Velcro on the sides (noisy if you need to get out of bed in the middle of the night!)and not a zipper but it works well for us on the large bed.

Stephany Smith 2007 MB
Stephany, we have the factory king as well.  We removed the velcro for the same reason as you stated and had zippers sewn in.  Much nicer.  I believe they are called tent zippers and are nylon.
Joe Hamm-San Jose

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111865
Joe, that is a great idea and I am going to do it as well. That should make the bag perfect. Any idea where I could get the zippers sewn in?

Thanks Stephany
2007 MB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111873
Joe, that is a great idea and I am going to do it as well. That should make the bag perfect. Any idea where I could get the zippers sewn in?

Thanks Stephany
Stephany, you need to measure length you need and buy the zipper.  Once you have the zipper then most people that do alterations can sew it in.  Be sure it is tent zipper that has double tab and releases in both directions.  I believe we bought from this site http://tinyurl.com/y7z7uzu

Joe Hamm

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111876

Thanks Stephany
Stephany, I measured this morning and it looks to 70" YKK zipper Joe

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 111886
I'd check at the Dry Cleaners, as they usually have a Tailor or Alterations person.

Hope that helps, Tessa in TX

--- Any idea where I could get the zippers sewn in?

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 111887
"teresadhill"  wrote: I'd check at the Dry Cleaners, as they usually have a Tailor or Alterations person.
--- And/or, at a local fabric store or at a store which sells sewing machines; they sometimes know of people who do sewing.  Also check your local yellow pages and neighborhood/community newspapers; look under "Alterations". You might also check Yelp or another "service locator" for local listings.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 111897
I'd check at the Dry Cleaners, as they usually have a Tailor or Alterations person.

Hope that helps, Tessa in TX

--- Any idea where I could get the zippers sewn in?

Thanks Stephany
Dry Cleaners with alterations are who sewed ours in.  It is not a big job if you provide the zipper.  I found that this special zipper is not stocked by most of these places.

Joe Hamm

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 111906
If there is a backpacking/outdoor shop nearby, check with them to see if they offer a repair service or can recommend someone who does.
Replacing sleeping bag zippers is a common repair item.

You could order a zipper on-line and pull out the Singer.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)