Skip to main content
Topic: Sealing new vent (Read 14 times) previous topic - next topic
Sealing new vent
Yahoo Message Number: 111815
Before I seal my roof seams with Eternabond tape, I'm going to remove the bathroom vent (fan doesn't work) and replace it with a Fantastic Fan vent.  Should I first cover the screw heads with a layer of polyurethane sealant or just cover with Eternabond?

Thanks, Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Re: Sealing new vent
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111816
older_fossil  wrote:
 Before I seal my roof seams with Eternabond tape, I'm going to remove the bathroom vent (fan doesn't work) and replace it with a Fantastic Fan vent.  Should I first cover the screw heads with a layer of polyurethane sealant or just cover with Eternabond? --- Art, when I "Eternabonded" the roof on my 2003 a few weeks back, I found that the original sealant around the vents and along the roof edges had deteriorated from around several of the screw heads, leaving them poking up.  A couple of the screw heads under the strip of Eternabond that I had put on the seam between the front cap and the roof a year or so after delivery had also worked through the Eternabond. (I cut away enough of the E-bond to get a grip on the screws and tightened them about 1/4 turn, then ran another strip over the original strip.)
 The screws were all still tight, but to make sure that the heads didn't poke through a single-layer strip, I cut small "squares" of Eternabond and stuck one over each of the offending screw heads, *then* ran the strips. Let the little buggers try to get through now! ;-)
 A few of the screws in various places were put in geewhoppered at manufacturing; Lazy Daze's "fix" for the "screw ups" was a quarter-sized blob of sealant. I chiseled the blobs off, covered the screws with a little patch of E-bond, and then ran the strips.
 It's *such* a fun job, and one I don't want to do again for a long time, if ever, so I was careful to pay attention to the details.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111817
-

A few of the screws in various places were put in geewhoppered at manufacturing; Lazy Daze's "fix" for the "screw ups" was a quarter-sized blob of sealant. I chiseled the blobs off, covered the screws with a little patch of E-bond, and then ran the strips.

Joan
"Geewhoppered"  What a great new word, Joan.  Never seen or heard it before.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111819
While we are on the subject and I hope I don't steal Art's thread.
 How come the factory (Vince) is so against Eternabond tape?  I mentioned it to him last month when I was there and he was adamant about not using it. He claimed it will fail and it was a PITA to remove. Then told me it would be cost more to remove it etc.  Not having first hand knowledge of the product I backed off.

What gives?

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111828
"Should I first cover the screw heads with a layer of polyurethane sealant or just cover with Eternabond?"

Art
 Since the new fan's frame will be bedded into a layer of polyurethane sealant, the screws will already be sealed.
Adding sealant on top of the screw heads will prevent the Eternabond from sticking to them and the frame around them.
I would go with just the Eternabond, leaving the screw heads free of sealant.

BTW Before gluing a fan down, I outline where the base will sit with masking tape to help contain the sealant's squeeze-out. After the sealant has been applied and the fan screwed down, carefully pull the tape up, along with the extra glue. I would let it cure for a week or two before applying the Eternabond tape.
I use a small artist pallet knife, instead of a putty knife, for spreading the sealant. I find its small, thin blade gives better control. The one I use looks like a miniature mason's trowel.
http://tinyurl.com/y6npq7n

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)