Skip to main content
Topic: First year for fiberglass overcab? (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
First year for fiberglass overcab?
Yahoo Message Number: 111712
I've noticed that our "LD models through the years" document doesn't say when LD made the switch from all-metal overcab construction with a glass window to fiberglass with fake windows. Pretty major omission! Can anybody tell me when the changeover happened, so I can update the document?

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Re: First year for fiberglass overcab?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111718
I've noticed that our "LD models through the years" document doesn't say when LD made the switch from all-metal overcab construction with a glass window to fiberglass with fake windows. Pretty major omission! Can anybody tell me when the changeover happened, so I can update the document?

Andy Baird
Andy, Our first LD was a 1989 26.5 RB that had a metal nose and real glass (twice cracked) front window. We took delivey in April 1989. Another member of the Northern Exposure group has a 1989 26.5 RB which was picked up later in the year. It has the fiberglass nose and a fake single front window (now much faded but never broken). So I am guessing 1989.
By the way, that later 89 also had the rubber "D" seals in the window installations instead of the putty.

Tom Schmal 04 23.5 FL

Re: First year for fiberglass overcab?
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111720

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy,
 We have a friend with a 1990 23.5 FL that has the fiberglass nose cap (modern?? 2 fake window design). He had mentioned it was the first year for this fiberglass cap and when his rig was new he had to return to the factory to have it "remounted" several times "before they got it right"

John "04 23.5FL