Skip to main content
Topic: Locking Gas Cap...??? (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Locking Gas Cap...???
Yahoo Message Number: 111649
As gas prices , in Calif.,have now gone over $3.00/gal & the summer months of escalating prices are approaching..I note with caution that gas thefts are also increasing in our Sou. Calif. area..!! Should I get a locking gas cap..?? I realize that a twist of channel locks or a punched hole in the tank would  bypass this allegded deterant...so I surfed the archives of this website- & upon further research& thanks to Art Berggreen - (& please send in a donation for this valuable asset he gave us..!!)...I learned : ___That the Fords from 2005 on have a anti-syphon block that deters syphoning of fuel.
___Ford motor co./dealers - do not have a locking gas caps available  for Ford trucks from '05 on - they are not available from the dealer..!! ___Conclusion - if they can't syphon the fuel from the filler area  they will have to puncture the gas tank..!! ___I like , and am considering the idea suggested by msg # 68108, brutos or somebody intelligent - ...to put a "DIESEL ONLY" decal by the filler..!! these can be purchased at large Truck stop stores...T&A etc ___Well- maybe a locking gas cap purchased from Pep-Boys or NAPA , etc plus the decal will put my mind at ease..!!..?? ___Now where do I hide my extra ignition key..??...Under the decal..?? (ha..) Gene of Salene

Re: Locking Gas Cap...???
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111654
"I like, and am considering the idea suggested by msg # 6810... to put a 'DIESEL ONLY' decal by the filler."
 I see a couple of problems with that idea. First, if you ever take the vehicle in for servicing, they're going to put diesel fuel in it, and that could have serious and expensive consequences for your fuel system and engine. Second, what makes you think people won't try to steal diesel fuel from your tank? In most places, diesel costs more than gasoline, so such a sticker could make you even more theft-prone.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Locking Gas Cap...???
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111656
Gene,

My '05 has a locking gas cap, which I believe is a Stant brand after-market cap.

As for keys, we have two sets of keys for the LD.  One complete set is on a key ring that I use for drivng every day.  The other set is split: the ignition/cab-door key is on Liz' key-chain, while the remaining keys go into my pocket each day.  Without the ignition key, they aren't a big bundle to have in my pocket, and that way I'm sure to have the coach door key with me at all times, just as a protective step in case we find ourselves locked out (which hasn't happened yet in 8 years).

Ted H.

'05 RB  NE-13

@ Barton Springs TVA, TN

Should I get a locking gas cap..?? I realize that a twist of channel locks or a punched hole in the tank would bypass this allegded deterant
 ___Well- maybe a locking gas cap purchased from Pep-Boys or NAPA , etc plus the decal will put my mind at ease..!!..?? ___Now where do I hide my extra ignition key..??...Under the decal..?? (ha..) Gene of Salene

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111658
wrote: Should I get a locking gas cap..?? --- Gene, as Ted suggested, you might find a Stant locking gas cap that fits a 2005; caps for different applications are available at most auto supply stores. (I did look at Stant's website, but didn't find a locking gas cap for your application in their online catalog.)
 That said, I have a locking gas cap on my 2003, a Ford cap with a number that says it shouldn't fit, but it does. I kept the original (non-locking) cap, and I may put it back on because it's easier to take on and off than the locking cap. I don't know how much of a gas theft deterrent a locking gas cap actually is; it might thwart a casual attempt, but a determined thief will just cut the filler neck or punch a hole in the tank, and I'm sure that repairing that mess would cost a whole lot more than losing a tank of gas!
 I agree with the other posts about *not* putting a "Diesel Only" sticker near the fill opening; it's a bad idea for the reasons mentioned in their posts. A "diesel" sticker would be an invitation to disaster if you ever travel in Oregon or anywhere else where you don't pump your own fuel!
 IMO, the end value of a locking gas cap isn't worth the time and effort it might take to find one that fits, but YMMV.  ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111659
As a CA Smog Check Test Only Station, we take off a lot of gas caps for testing.  We don't even bother with a key as 99% of them can be removed with a slight pinch with channel locks to lock the ratchet and they come right off.  If they want your gas, it is easier to punch a hole in the tank than it is to try to siphon/pump the contents.  BTW, watch out for the catalytic converter thieves.  Way more expensive to replace than a few gallons of gas

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111681
I like my locking gas cap for my '92 rig- found it at Walmart and installed before Mexico.  No need to tempt people who might find siphoning easy, but punching holes in tanks distasteful.

Tip for those of us (unlike Ted H.), who DO lock ourselves out for no apparent reason, etc:

After you unlock the gas cap to pump gas, LEAVE your keys in it, on top of the pump.  That way, you never drive off without your gas cap.

Saved many times by this trick,

Tessa in TX

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111684
Hi Gene,
 I installed an after-market Stant locking gas cap on my 2005 MB.  See message # 52415 dated 4-5-2005 for part number.  Don't know if it will fit your 2006.  As there are so many easier and faster ways to steal gas, I am thinking about reinstalling the original non-locking cap.  The locking cap takes both hands to remove it. With one hand you must keep the cap from rotating while you turn the key with the other hand.
 As to the spare key, I carry a spare door/ignition key in my wallet.  It is a totally flat brass copy of the Ford key. My rig does not have a "smart" ignition switch that requires a key with an embedded code chip.  At one time the auto club would make you a plastic key for this purpose.  I keep a complete set of keys hidden inside the rig.

Doug

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111686
My 2 cents,
 I have a locking gas cap for my '91 MB.  Like mentioned by others, it is by no means going to stop someone who really wants your gas.  Yes, they can punch a hole in your tank or break the cap.  But, what is does do is prevent the casual thief who is looking for a few quick gallons.  A simple lock will have them move on to the next target that doesn't.  This is the most common thief, one who is looking for something easy and quick.  It also prevents those mischievous people who are looking to have some fun at your expense by putting stuff IN your tank that shouldn't be there and can ruin your engine.

I'd rather prevent that and save my engine than be worried about someone punching a hole in my tank.  You are also more likely to see evidence of tampering if you have a lock.
 We all have locks on our front doors at home (or coach doors for you full timers).  But we all know that they can be defeated, so why use them?  Because it stops the casual opportunist thief.  Which are a lot more common than the professional thief.
 So, if you don't want to put a lock on, great.  I hope you are parked next to me when that opportunist thief comes by.  Because I know he will leave me alone.

-Victor

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111753
Hi Gene,
 I installed an after-market Stant locking gas cap on my 2005 MB.  See message # 52415 dated 4-5-2005 for part number.  Don't know if it will fit your 2006.
Hi Doug,  further ref a locking gas cap for my 2006 Ford L.D.- & thanks for the info & direction to further my search. The gas cap Stant part # 11510 in previous msg file does not fit the 2006 Ford. I surfed Stant.com & found their Locking gas cap part #10510 does fit & they directed me to Carquest Stores & the local one in Santa Paula did have it in stock being their CCA#35073 an interchange for Stant's #10510. It does fit but doesn't have a tether..!! SOOO- I thought I could just take the tether off the original cap & slip it on the new locking cap..!! DREAMER..NO WAY..!! .. After much blood, sweat & almost tears, I had an idea- I put the tether in a microwave proof cup in water & let it simmer on high for approx one & 1/2 mins on high...took it out & stretched the plastic tether to make it a larger circle & it did slip right over the new locking gas cap ..!! It cooled down & formed a nice neat & tight fit on the cap..!! Eureka..!! Now to hide my extra door/ignition key..!!

Gene

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111756
On Apr 12, 2010, at 12:27 PM, salene9669 wrote:

Now to hide my extra door/ignition key..!!
Spare ignition key hangs unseen in the pantry below my sink and the side door key taped to the inside of the sewer hose compartment.
Safe and unseen and still there after all these years of traveling California roads!

Lorna Santa Cruz http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com/
2003 RB

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 111761
   SOOO- I thought I could just take the tether off the original cap & slip it on the new locking cap..!! DREAMER..NO WAY..!! .. After much blood, sweat & almost tears, I had an idea- I put the tether in a microwave proof cup in water & let it simmer on high for approx one & 1/2 mins on high...took it out & stretched the plastic tether to make it a larger circle & it did slip right over the new locking gas cap ..!! It cooled down & formed a nice neat & tight fit on the cap..!! Eureka..!!
Gene, Mine didn't come with a tether either. Thought about the "nuke it" method but then discovered something, which I probably shouldn't tell you. Both my original Ford cap and my Stant cap csme apart. The "white part" and the "black part" screw together (right hand thread). When you take them apart, the tether just lifts off.

Doug