Skip to main content
Topic: "Portable" CBs (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
"Portable" CBs
Yahoo Message Number: 111615
Good afternoon helpful people...
my CB radio is on the blink again, and I don't have time to visit the factory to have it fixed again.  I can clearly hear radio traffic, but I'm unable to transmit (oh the horror!!) so I'm considering buying a portable, hand held, 12 volt (if there is such a thing) *CB* radio, the real deal, not walkie-talkies or a so-called "2-way" radio.
 I'm looking for recommendations for brands, etc. that can be used in my Lazy Daze, considering its cab design.  Would the brand you recommend require an antenna and how would it need to be mounted?  I'm not even sure I'm asking the right questions, but I'm sure some of you off-roaders can read my mind and give me some ideas.  OK? GO!

Thanksabunch, Lorna Santa Cruz
 http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com/
2003 RB

Re: "Portable" CBs
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111616
Hi Lorna, I forget, is the factory unit the all in one handheld CB from Cobra?  In other words, no box unit to mount to the front of the dash.

Ramon

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111617
Hi Lorna!
 I bought the Cobra "RoadTrip" handheld in 2006 and it worked out great for the 50th anniversary caravan. I like being able to have it with me even if I was outside the rig. Handy especially if there's a possibility of weather alerts or unscheduled group announcements.  I ran the antenna cord out the window and stuck the magnet on my hood. Runs on batteries or 12 volts.

Joanne in Boston NE-44

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111618
Good afternoon helpful people...
my CB radio is on the blink again, and I don't have time to visit the factory to have it fixed again.  I can clearly hear radio traffic, but I'm unable to transmit (oh the horror!!) so I'm considering buying a portable, hand held, 12 volt (if there is such a thing) *CB* radio, the real deal, not walkie-talkies or a so-called "2-way" radio.
Lorna, I think I can read your mind.  Stay away from those portables and have yours fixed or replaced with the newer handheld all in one cobra 75 WX ST.  Tim Pease did mine.  I have a portable Cobra 37 HT with screw on antenna plus magnet antenna that you are welcome to borrow until you find a solution.  I could send it over with my daughter if you wish.
Joe Hamm-San Jose

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111619
Hi Ramon, I have an "old" (2003) factory-installed CB mounted above the rear view mirror, not the newer Cobra.  I've been told the current (repeat) issue is most likely the antenna.  It's been fixed twice before.  I'm hitting the road for the Northwest in just a few weeks but don't have the time right now to chase after someone/somewhere to try to fix it.

Lorna
2003 RB

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111620
Lorna,
 Before you do anything else, are you sure it is on the blink?  So many times when folks asked me to help with a "broken" CB it turned out to be
A) The squelch somehow got turned up and it didn't "hear" or B) It somehow
 got switched to PA (Public Adress) mode and wouldn't transmit.

Check the PA switch (assuming it has one) before you give up on it.

Rich Gort - 2000 MB - Birch Bay, WA
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111621

"I have an "old" (2003) factory-installed CB mounted above the rear view mirror, not the newer Cobra.

Lorna
Lorna
 I've had very good service from Cobra on different models of theirs. You might want to try:

to see what you need to do concerning repain. It seems to me they charged me $35 the last time.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111622
On Apr 6, 2010, at 3:42 PM, bagmanhamm wrote:

...  I have a portable Cobra 37 HT with screw on antenna plus magnet antenna that you are welcome to borrow until you find a solution.  I could send it over with my daughter if you wish.
Joe Hamm-San Jose
Joe, you are a sweetheart to offer.  That just might be a terrific solution so long as I can mount the antenna with a magnet and not have to mess with wiring, etc.  I'm only going to need it for a short while.  I'll call you ASAP.  You da man!

Lorna
 http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com
2003 RB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111623
Rich, yes I checked the settings, fiddled with the squelch, checked all the connections -- This is the third time I've encountered the issue.  I'm pretty sure the problem is my antenna.
 Steve, Where was your repair performed?  Perhaps there's a dealer in the South Bay?  Thanks for the URL

Thank you both.

Lorna
2003 RB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111624
Lorna Dunham  wrote: so long as I can mount the antenna with a magnet and not have to mess with wiring, etc.
--- Joe is a peach, all right! ;-)
 Lorna, the hood on your rig is *plastic*, though, so any magnetic puck mount for the antenna would have to go on the narrow strip of metal fender.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 111625
Steve, Where was your repair performed?  Perhaps there's a dealer in the South Bay?  Thanks for the URL

Lorna
Lorna
 Duh! 'CRS' Guess it must have been whatever address they gave me at the time. At any rate, in at least one instance I know they sent me back a reconditioned unit because the serial # didn't match.
 Haven't had a problem with the LD unit but would return it to Cobra if I did.
 I understand that Radio Shack carries Cobra if that becomes necessary.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 111626
On Apr 6, 2010, at 4:37 PM, lejest2003 wrote:

Duh! 'CRS' ...
 I understand that Radio Shack carries Cobra if that becomes necessary.
Steve, I'm intimately familiar with that CRS affliction.  It's quite true what they say about old age isn't for sissies!  And oh my, how times have changed.  The two Radio Shacks I visited had hundreds of cell phones and iParaphernalia but, alas, just one "box" CB, no portables.  However, the URL you gave me had some great information (and pictures) of new portable/hand held models.

Joe Hamm, my "neighbor" in San Jose, has offered the temporary loan of his hand held for this trip.  What a guy!  And what a great group this is!  Thanks to all for your ideas and help.

Lorna
 http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com
2003 RB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 111628
Bear in mind that many of the larger truck stops have CB repair shops, so you might be able to get your problem solved along the way.
 I agree that in your case the antenna is the first place to look for trouble. A corroded connection will often work well enough to receive a signal, but will be unable to handle the power of a transmission. A simple check with an SWR meter should be able to diagnose this; that's a tool every CB repair shop has on hand.
 Although it's not the cause of your difficulties, Rich's admonition is worth repeating: the Cobra 75 WX ST is a good radio, but its squelch thumbwheel is WAY too easy to accidentally move with your thumb, leading you to think that the radio has gone dead when in fact you've merely cranked up the squelch threshold too high.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 111631
On Apr 6, 2010, at 3:28 PM, joanne0012 wrote:

I bought the Cobra "RoadTrip" handheld in 2006 and it worked out great ... I ran the antenna cord out the window and stuck the magnet on my hood. Runs on batteries or 12 volts.

Hey Joanne!

If it's still made (or something similar), the "Road Trip" sounds exactly like what I'm looking for; two previous repairs on the "box" CB are enough!  As I recall, you caravanned to Cheyenne with the NE group...do you happen to recall the "Road Trip's" range while on the road? And if it's handy, when you get a chance, could you send me a PM with the model number?

Thanks so much, Lorna
2003 RB

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 111636
Lorna, trying several ways to thank you for Art's Work. Hope one works. Added to favorites along with your blog. Nexy time we meet will seek tutorial on how you do it. KC