Skip to main content
Topic: Drove my First Lazy Daze (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Drove my First Lazy Daze
Yahoo Message Number: 111614
My In-laws are looking for an RV to join us on our excursions and they are on a limited budget.  We have been looking at older motorhomes and I would like to see them in a Lazy Daze.  I will have to do all the maintenance and upkeep and will use it from time to time as well when I don't want to use my 5er.  We found one in our area that was beat up pretty good and though I love a restoration project, I just did not have the time for this one as it needed a ton of work although I felt it drove well for its age.

My question is about the batteries and windows.  The one we saw was an 84 Twin/King ?? (2 opposing couches) and when I read literature on this site about changes over the years, I see black window trim and 2 Trojan 6 volt batteries were listed as changes for 84.   This 84 had a starting battery and a space for another batter on the other fender plus a space for one next to the entry door.  It appeared to be all factory installation, but the seller did not have any coach batteries for it.
This one was built in September of 1983, maybe the end of the line for the silver trim windows and separate 12 volt coach batteries?   Andy, was Gertie this floorplan?  Not sure if the bed can be made into one large one or are they 2 singles?  In any even, my inlaws would not have to climb up on the bunk, though my kids can ;)

I really like this floor plan as everyone can sit in the back and have a nice view with windows on 3 sides. The problem is most of the ones we see have the rear bath type configuration.  We are near the factory so I usually find 4 or 5 for sale in this vintage at a time.  I realize a coach of this age is going to have some work involved and it may be that we have to go with an older Dodge Lindy type or Winnebago to stay I their price range but if I can get them in a Lazy Daze, that is my first priority.

Also, other than being newer, is there anything better about and 85 vs.
82 model year?   Like more gizmos or better electronic or structural items?

Thanks for the help

MrFixit

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Drove my First Lazy Daze
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111627
"Andy, was Gertie this [Twin/King] floorplan?"
 Yes. And as the name implies, the rear couches can be made up as either two twin beds or a single king-sized bed.
 The T/K is a great floorplan with many of the Midbath's advantages (especially the fantastic wraparound view), but an '84 coach is liklely to be a major restoration job. Expect leaks and dry rot damage, especially in the overcab (due to the glass front window). Of course all of this is even more true of an '82 model.

"is there anything better about an 85 vs. 82 model year?"
 According to the "LD models over the years" document, the changes between '82 and '85 were two Trojan T-105 batteries, one-piece roof (late '85) replacing the leak-prone seven-piece roof, and a fiberglass spare tire cover.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"