Skip to main content
Topic: Removing Parlastic from clothing (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Removing Parlastic from clothing
Yahoo Message Number: 111606
My job was to hold the ladder. Well, if you know me you'll realize that if it's possible to get paint or glue or anything else on me, I'll do it! The caulking gun jumped up and brushed against my leg, leaving a trail of Palastic on my black pants.
 I really like my pants. Nice soft cotton. Not faded or ratty looking. Just very sticky and shiny on one leg.
 I thought about how to clean off the mess without removing the color.  A bottle of waterless hand cleaner caught my eye. It was the gel type. I blobbed it on the Parlastic and it loosened  it up and it peeled right off. The gel kept the alcohol from going through to the pants. I washed them today expecting to see spots from the cleaner but I couldn't tell where the mess had been. Now i'll have to see if it works on anything else.
 The Parlastic was clear and the pants are 100% cotton. I don't know if anyone else will get the same results but it's worth a try if you don't have anything else around.

Karen

Re: Removing Parlastic from clothing
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111607
"Karen"  wrote: I really like my pants. Nice soft cotton. Not faded or ratty looking.
--- Karen, I'm glad the "goop" peeled the Parlastic off the cloth, but the idea is NOT to wear "nice pants", especially not black or white ones, when working on the motorhome, even when just holding the ladder! ;-)
 Like you, if something can drip, dribble, pop, splatter, spread, spill, stick, smear, tear, splash, or explode, the substance (and bits and pieces of whatever else it brings with it depending on the action that propelled it in the firstplace!) will find its way onto me.  There's usually blood at some point in all this, too.
 The "Rosie the Riveter" look is in; think 1940's wartime aircraft factory! Old, dirt-colored, sturdy clothing that covers exposed flesh, including one's hairdo -- snag-proof and flame retardant is a good idea, too! -- and you're good to go! Love my Red Kap coveralls and big bandanna! ;-)

Joan

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Re: Removing Parlastic from clothing
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111610
Quote from: Karen"

"I really like my pants. Nice soft cotton. Not faded or ratty looking. Just very sticky and shiny on one leg."
 We always kept a pair of Tyvek coveralls in one of the storage compartments, in case there was any "dirty work" that had to be done.  I also keep a pair at home.  I found ours in the paint department at Lowe's, but you can probably find them at any paint store.  They're one size fits all, with a zipper up the front.  They fit over your regular clothes. You can cut off any extra length on the sleeves and legs.  Since they're made of Tyvek, they're breathable and comfortable.  Mine cost less than $10.

•   DuPont Tyvek  Tyvek Coveralls •   Item #: 126376  |  Model #: 14185/6FF

Sharon N.
Crossville, TN