Skip to main content
Topic: was Solar - Whole House... now hardwired EMS (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
was Solar - Whole House... now hardwired EMS
Yahoo Message Number: 111582
Joan Taylor wrote:

In my TK, the only viable compartment location to hardwire the EMS was where my air compressor fits; the portable unit is stowed at the other end of the compartment with the electrical cord and various adapters.
 The hardwired and portable Progressive Industries 30A EMS offer the same functional features and "line" protection; the hardwired unit is less expensive than the portable, but labor costs for installation (if one isn't able to wire the thing in himself/herself) should be considered in the final tab.
Good idea on the sleeve. The words "raincoat" and "sleeve" made me think why not take a raincoat about to be discarded and cut the sleeve off and tie off one end :>)

In my TK, I installed the hardwired EMS in the same compartment with the coiled-up electrical cord. And yes, it does not protect me while using the generator. But I use the generator so very, very little that I'm not going to worry about it. I think there is a lot more to worry about with campground power. And the portable devises don't protect your generator do they?

Tom Johnston, Red 2000 TK, Whidbey Island, WA typical NW spring day, not cold, not warm, not sunny, not overcast, light breeze, no rain

Re: was Solar - Whole House... now hardwired EMS
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111583
"Tom Johnston"  wrote: But I use the generator so very, very little that I'm not going to worry about it. I think there is a lot more to worry about with campground power. And the portable devises don't protect your generator do they? --- No, the portable EMS does not protect the rig's systems from generator-associated problems, while the wired-in unit does have that capability.  But, like you, I use my generator very seldom (except to exercise it), and from the number of times that I've seen error codes appear on the EMS when doing a "test plug" into a campground pedestal, screwy wiring, low/high voltages, no ground, etc., are MUCH bigger concerns in campgrounds or at *any* power supply source than whatever mischief the generator might get up to.
 And, hey, the EMS rain jacket fabric color matches the dark green "base" color of my rig! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home