Skip to main content
Topic: Roll Call! Atlantic Canada / Maritimes this summer (and a quiz) (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Roll Call! Atlantic Canada / Maritimes this summer (and a quiz)
Yahoo Message Number: 111550
Yahoo!  Who else is headed to NE Canada this summer?

We're leaving early June, hitting New England and then Atlantic Canada, returning home by mid-August ("Lord willing"- always included when talking about Ciao taking us anywhere, though she's never failed us).

Really appreciate Mike C's great info!
 http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/lifewithalazydazerv/message/111210

and his good LINKS added to our Canada folder here:

http://tinyurl.com/yhgdz33

The funniest thing happened today at a kid's horseback lesson:

"So," I said to my friend, Janice, "I'm going to run off to Canada this summer!  Do you know the difference between Atlantic Canada and the Canadian Maritimes?"  Janice attempted it, but I'm an expert now since I read the entire introduction in Moon's "Atlantic Canada."

Do you guys know?  I'll tell you at the end.

There were only 2 other people within 100 yards, sitting right in front of us.  They turn around and smile, "We're from Newfoundland!  We just flew in yesterday."

How weird is that???  Can you imagine they flew thousands of miles to southern Texas, only to hear all about their home?!

Fortunately, they said I was correct on my naming distinction and did not make a fool of myself (this time).  They gave wonderful suggestions of things to do and eat, particularly cod's tongue (who knew fish had a tongue?!) and suggested I say "understand Newfoundland" to get the proper cadence and pronunciation.  They laughed to think "yuum's" (spelling?) is their version of "y'all."  Small world!

Okay, ready for the quiz answer:

Canadian Maritimes include New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and PEI (Prince Edwards Island).  Atlantic Canada includes those 3 provinces PLUS the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.  Newfoundland and Labrador comprise just ONE province.  So there are 4 provinces total in Atlantic Canada.  Ta Da!

Interested to hear who else is headed that way this summer,

Tessa in TX

'92 MB- Ciao Baby!

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Roll Call! Atlantic Canada / Maritimes this summer (and a quiz)
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111551
wrote: They gave wonderful suggestions of things to do and eat, particularly cod's tongue (who knew fish had a tongue?!) --- Cod (and other fish) have *cheeks*, too; google "cod cheeks" to find all kinds of recipes for these delicate morsels! ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111552
On Apr 3, 2010, at 1:03 PM, jctaylor1941 wrote:

Cod (and other fish) have *cheeks*, too; google "cod cheeks" to find all kinds of recipes for these delicate morsels! ;-)

Joan

And halibut "cheeks" (that I've found only in Alaska) are to die for!

Have a wonderful trip, Hill family.  I'm sure many of us will look forward to traveling alongside when you "renew" your blog.  I'm looking forward to visiting the Canadian Atlantic in 2012, so all your detailed experiences will be "muchly" appreciated!

Lorna Back in Santa Cruz
 http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com/
2003 RB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111553
Unfortunately Karen and I have other travel plans but definitely have that area on the bucket list.
 Are you going to blog your adventures.  Your blogs are fantastic and can't wait to read the book when it is written.

Terry & Karen Reitz TK Hut  2006 23.5 TK
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111554
Cod (and other fish) have *cheeks*, too; google "cod cheeks"
And halibut "cheeks" (that I've found only in Alaska) are to die for!
 And snapper "throats".  A Gulf Coast treat.  If your passing through Bessemer, Alabama (near Birmingham) stop at the Bright Star for some throats.

Malcolm Austin
2002 Mid Bath

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111556
Fish cheeks, tongues, and throats!?  Oh my!
 Yes, I might as well blog since I don't seem to be able to compile succinct book material,

Atlantic Canada / Maritimes this summer More on cod parts & Newfou
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111559
More info on cod parts and Newfoundland.
On the larger cod fish (10+ lbs.) there is a small (1/4" X 3/4") leaf shaped bone that has a porcelain feel inside the ear canal. When set into a proper earring mount it is quite the conversation piece.
Some of the tourist shops on Water Street, downtown St. John's, will carry these. The Downhome Store is one such place. If you are near there in the evening, a block up the hill is George Street. That is where all the pubs are and has been the entertainment district for well over 200 years. Lots of local Newfoundland music. A little east of the Downhome Store on Water Street is Auntie Crae's deli that is a great place for lunch.
Something I didn't mention earlier about RV accommodations in the North Sidney area. The Golden Arm RV Park is just a couple of miles on the Trans Canada before the ferry terminal. If you don't need hook-ups and you are early getting there, we have parked overnight in a large city park parking lot that is located on the waterfront just behind the public library (a two story red stone building) just south of the ferry docks. We have stayed there even after returning from Newfoundland. The library has public access internet and a couple of blocks west is a laundromat where they will also wash and fold your clothes. Ask for directions at the library.
We are planning on leaving Florida late June and head back up to "The Rock" arriving sometime mid July. There still a few roads there we haven't explored yet and we have to re-connect with all our friends across the island.
Just a little extra info from:   Mike Coachman
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111562
Actually, Tessa, the A/Bus II may roll up that way once we're done with the annual EAA AirVenture