Skip to main content
Topic: Driver's side running board broke down! (Read 62 times) previous topic - next topic
Driver's side running board broke down!
Yahoo Message Number: 111514
Has anyone else experienced the "running board" step giving way as you stepped down to the outside from the driver's seat?  I did the other day and discovered that the fiberglass fender edge flows into the running board and is held up to the LD body under the opening edge of and to the right of the door by wood, a few screws and a bolt:  the wood rotted out and gave way!  Vince at LD says he's had a few like that.  I'm surprised that LD uses wood in an area so exposed to the elements (under the LD and behind a wheel).  I'll take pics and post them after I assess the situation and come up with a fix.  John Boles

Re: Driver's side running board broke down!
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111515
We had this happen on our 1983 22¹ Rear Lounge.  I pulled the rotten wood out and used it for a template to cut a new piece from a 2²x6² piece of pressure-treated wood.  I bolted this piece back in place (side bolts) and then bolted the running board to it (from underneath).  I did this to both sides and it has held up well.  I figured after 27 years of exposure to the elements it was time to change out the wood but I understand what you mean about having the wood exposed to the elements in the first place.  Seems like there should have been a better way to do it.

David Burbank, CA

Re: Driver's side running board broke down!
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111523
I had the same problem with my '91 27' RB. On the older models, such as the '91, there is just a metal step that is not molded to the fender. As you described, the step is held to the coach towards the rear of the step by a couple of screws and a large bolt into a vertical wooden board. The board gets old and rots and the step fails. I had Tim Pease take a look at it and we decided to strap the step to the metal frame with a metal strap he got at Home Depot. It still sags a bit when stepped on but it is very secure. At least mine was metal, so we were able to drill a hole and bolt it. I don't know how the fiber glass deal would work.
Be well. Dale from Downey.

__