Skip to main content
Topic: Recent discussions about Solar/Batteries/Controllers (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Recent discussions about Solar/Batteries/Controllers
Yahoo Message Number: 111497
You guys are making my head spin.
 Buy MPPT. Nope buy a simple PWM. Series vs Parallel. AGM vs Flooded.
I am trying to take this all in and I think I get more confused. Well not confused but indecisive about what is best for me.

Ok, that was just a comment, not my question.
 If I wanted to add two more T105's for a total of four. (I know match the age of the batteries. I been listening)  Would that be considered TWO banks of batteries and would I need a battery meter that monitors two banks.

TIA Ed

Re: Recent discussions about Solar/Batteries/Controllers
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111499
"If I wanted to add two more T105's for a total of four... Would that be considered TWO banks of batteries and would I need a battery meter that monitors two banks."
 Nope. Nothing  we've discussed here comes under the heading of multiple battery banks. Electrically, whatever you do will look like one big 12V battery to your coach's electrical system--just as your two series-wired 6V batteries appear now.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111500
If I wanted to add two more T105's for a total of four. (I know match the age of the batteries. I been listening)  Would that be considered TWO banks of batteries and would I need a battery meter that monitors two banks.
Separate banks of batteries are battery sets that are electrically isolated, for various reasons. Our RVs DO have this, in that our house batteries are isolated from our chassis batteries. For most of us, the latter is a single battery, for diesels, it is usually a pair. As Andy said, however, the house batteries in discussion here are a single bank, whether in series, parallel, or series-parallel in the case you are considering. They are all wired together and charged/discharged as one.
 Large specialized off-grid or backup systems often have several banks which can then be serviced and maintained separately, without shutting the system down. A charging system that can simultaneously handle several banks is useful in these situations. Some of the charge controllers for RV use have a specialized version of this for both charging the house batteries and providing a small maintenance charge to the chassis batteries.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111504
If anyone's head is spinning, I would suggest reading Understanding 12 Volt Systems.
It's available at many places, including Amazon.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy