Skip to main content
Topic: FYI--10 things you must know about CORK FLOORING & informative cork  (Read 8 times) previous topic - next topic
FYI--10 things you must know about CORK FLOORING & informative cork
Yahoo Message Number: 111419
http://www.getwithgreen.com/2008/10/20/10-things-you-must-know-about-cork-flooring-informative-cork-sites/
 for those thinking of replacing carpet...I especially like that it is insulating, both sound and temp., "green sustainable", and comes as a floating floor, resists moisture, mold, etc. and has good gaurantee wearability
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "Kooch" our little red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Generator placement on a 26.5 MB - I need advice fast! from Dawn
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111640
__ Hi, I am writing because I just drove my '96 26.5 MB to Flagg RV (West Boylston, MA) to have an Emerald installed (I found a used one, took it to Cummins who checked it out, and think I got the rest of the parts).
 The person doing the work was concerned when he saw the bay where the generator goes - on the passenger/door side of the RV.   He thought the placement was bad, because users would get the noise and exhaust of the generator while being outside,  if they sat near the RV.

Any thoughts on this?   Above the slot for the generator (passenger side) is the dinette, which I understood to be an access to the generator after installation.   What do you all think?  Dawn

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Generator placement on a 26.5 MB - I need advice fast! from Daw
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111641
Dawn Davies  wrote: The person doing the work was concerned when he saw the bay where the generator goes - on the passenger/door side of the RV.   He thought the placement was bad, because users would get the noise and exhaust of the generator while being outside,  if they sat near the RV.
--- ???  That's where the generator is located on my 23.5'. The generator is going to produce exhaust and noise no matter where it's located; you'll gas out any "sitters" on the exhaust side, and sitting anywhere near a running generator, particularly an Emerald, is not conducive to conversation!  (Some exhaust will likely also come through any open windows into the rig.)
 I suggest either sitting on the opposite side of the RV from the exhaust pipe if the generator is running, or not running the generator at all while sitting outside. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111642
Dawn,
 LD runs the exhaust pipe over to the driver side.  At least that is so on my MB.  Also, why would you be sitting outside when running the generator?  Aren't you doing something inside that requires the power?

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111643
"He thought the placement was bad, because users would get the noise and exhaust of the generator while being outside, if they sat near the RV."
 Most Lazy Daze midbaths, including all recent ones, have the generator's exhaust pipe cross under the chassis to exhaust on the street side of the coach for exactly this reason. The 8' pipe is supported from the chassis by one or two flexible hanger straps. This ensures that you won't get exhaust in your face when sitting under the awning (unless the wind blows it back under the coach to you, which is something to watch out for), although you'll still get noise.
 "Above the slot for the generator (passenger side) is the dinette, which I understood to be an access to the generator after installation."
 Maybe I'm misunderstanding which "slot" you're referring to, but there's no access to the generator from inside the coach on any LD I've seen--nor should there be, for reasons of noise and (especially) potential exhaust leaks. Access is only via the generator's compartment door, and of course the compartment's open bottom.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111644
We rarely run the generator. Mostly just when the air conditioner is on, and then we are inside enjoying it, or the microwave, which means I am inside cooking.
Denise in CA

Generator placement on a 26.5 MB - I need advice fast! from Dawn
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111657
I have a 94' 25.5' MB and the factory installed unit is on the passenger side just aft of the passenger door to the cab.
 Have never had a problem with the location but don't normally run it when sitting outside. Not because of its location, just have never had to run it when I happened to be sitting outside...

Ed 94' LD 26.5' MidBath Port Richey, FL

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111663
--- I was told by Lazy Daze that the generator placement was related to the balancing of the weight of the motorhome.  That is why it is on the passenger side on some models and on the driver side of others.

Gary Sowersby 2003 Mid-bath

Re: Generator placement on a 26.5 MB - I need advice fast! from Dawn
Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111664
And no matter which side it's on, it should be a simple matter to reroute the generator exhaust if it doesn't suit your fancy. I rerouted the gen exhaust on my previous SOB so it went out the rear. If you're making your own exhaust pipe hangars, strips of old tire sidewall are about as good as it gets :c)

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

cork flooring
Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111455
I did not come across the problem of smell w/the cork flooring...may I ask where you saw that? I read everything I could find til my eyes gave out....a LOT of links, so would be very interested in where you found that... strong chemical smells are a real [problem for me for some reason...I can barely go into a normal super market without it totally closing off my sinuses...get headaches from the cleaning supply isle.... living green and clean is such a habit for me, I guess my tolerance level is kaput!
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "Kooch" our little red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

Re: cork flooring
Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 111472
I did not come across the problem of smell w/the cork flooring. . .
Hi Gini,
 Many years ago cork flooring was popular and my folks put it one of many homes in AZ.  Yes, there was an odor to it but it disipated fairly quickly.  Or, we just got used to it.  Another issue, at that time, was the cork seemed to attract dirt from the bottom of shoes so dark traffic areas appeared.  My mother (or I) scrubbed floors every week so it wasn't from neglect.
Consider purchasing just a square or two.  Put it somewhere to 'air out' then bring it inside for a day or two and see if the odor bothers you.  If there is no factory applied seal on the cork, purchase the smallest amount possible, seal one tile, and see if it bothers you.  Odors are more pronounced/concentrated in small and closed areas like the L.D.  There's no point in making yourself ill.

Regards, Juli '06 26.5 RB Minden, NV
Juli W.
Former owner 1994 mid bath,  2006 26.5'rear bath