Skip to main content
Topic: Trouble with fuel line to generator (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Trouble with fuel line to generator
Yahoo Message Number: 111412
Our gasoline Onan for our '05 MB is not drawing fuel from even a full gas tank. It runs fine when an external gravity feed line is tapped in by a mechanic.  The lower part of the internal start switch clicks properly as if the fuel primer is working but the generator does not start after many attempts. We have been advised that there may be a vacuum leak hole or a kink or other blockage in the pick up tube. Steve at LD says bring it to California and he can quickly replace tubing but we are in Florida. Our local RV repair place (Camping World) says they will need to drain and drop tank to explore (at great expense$$$) Has anyone else had a similar experience AND/OR a simple resolution to share? Thanks in advance.

Re: Trouble with fuel line to generator
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111448
Do a search of the archives as I  have seen numerous reports of this and I think most were able to replace without a gas tank removal.
I wish I could help more but I don't remember the details. If dropping a tank is great expense try somewhere else if it comes to that. Its really not that big of a deal. Usually 4 bolts holding the straps and the hoses. I would think three hours would be a lot for someone that has some idea of what they are doing. And even at what seems to be a going labor rate of 100.00 for many shops I would think 400.00 would be tops. There isn't a lot to explore just change the fuel line to the generator. If Steve can change the line quickly so can someone else if take will take a look. Run don't walk from camping world.....actually drive at the fastest legal rate..

As I said there are examples of people doing it in the archives...
Garry

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111449
"Our gasoline Onan for our '05 MB is not drawing fuel from even a full gas tank."
"Has anyone else had a similar experience AND/OR a simple resolution to share? Thanks in advance."

"dotlep"

Yup! Common failure... no, it's not necessary to empty and drop the tank! It can be lowered a suffucient amount to reach the short length of flexable hose as it exits the tank and replace it with the best money will buy. While they had my tank suspended on jacks I had them replace the long run of plastic hose going to the generator with stainless steel fuel line. Cheap insurance.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111461
I have fixed 3 or 4 Rear Bath floor plans where the generator spins ok but does not start.  If you connect the generator to an external gas can sitting on the ground with a safe length of fuel line rubber hose and the genset runs ok, but will not run off of an almost full Ford fuel tank, then its 99% sure that it is an air leak most likely at connection at the top of the fuel tank.  The parts are readily available at Lowes Hardware (but not at Home Depot!) with a cost of about $35. You just need to "sweat" some standard copper plumbing parts and copper tubing, throw
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley