Skip to main content
Topic: Hanger bar in the 27' RB - ?? (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Hanger bar in the 27' RB - ??
Yahoo Message Number: 111371
We are preparing to pack clothes in boxes to ship to LD for our new unit pick-up next week (April 14th). The metal clothes hanger strip in the wardrobe closet has holes for the hanger hooks. We normally use the plastic hangers that have ether 1/4" diameter hooks or 3/8" hooks.
How many hooks can go into each hole of this type hanger. Do these work OK in those holes, or do we need to find a better solution?

Thanks, Mike

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Re: Hanger bar in the 27' RB - ??
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111374
Forget the plastic hangers. It's not just the hook part, but the overall size of the hanger and how much room, horizontally, it will take up. My guess is one hanger per hole on the bar if you go with plastic hangers.  I've migrated us to the velour covered wire hangers sold, very often, at Target. They have a matching, albeit separately priced, hook that slips over the neck of the hanger so that you can hang a second hanger off that and get about a 2 for 1 in spacing. I get usually 4 hangers to one hole on the closet bar. I have no concerns about the strength or durability of the bar...it's solid like the rest of the LD.
 Exceptions to the 2 for 1 spacing are: Our microfiber jackets and the pilot's foul weather slicker.
 We hang 2 pair of jeans/pants over each hanger bar and sometimes a shirt or jacket over them. We have also used a multi-pair pants hanger, but that gets quite thick when all the bars are filled and hard to maneuver around.  Every few months I have to go into the closet and resort and repack and delete because of acquisitions (I'll shoulder that blame) and the shenanigans that closets get up to while the doors are closed.
 And I am beginning to consider the merits of just rolling stuff up into a ball and stacking them...might give a new meaning to roulez les bon temps.
 Shoes, and I'll admit to way too many of them, reside in the cabinet under the dinette seat that doesn't raise in the MB...the seat that does raise is additional kitchen pantry and cleaning supplies storage. The exception to that is a pair of Bean boots for exceptionally wet weather...that pair enjoys its freedom in an exterior bin.
 We're on the road about 7 months a year...we leave home in Maine in October (so cool weather clothing is imperative) and ramble across the US and various climates...right now we're sitting in sunny Palm Springs, CA and in shorts...we have to pack for all eventualities...except snow...we no longer "do" snow.

TinaP 2006 Silver MB "Wild Thing" NELD 59  LD 2967

---

2006 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111375
"We are preparing to pack clothes in boxes to ship to LD for our new  unit pick-up next week (April 14th). The metal clothes hanger strip in  the wardrobe closet has holes for the hanger hooks. We normally use  the plastic hangers that have ether 1/4" diameter hooks or 3/8" hooks.
How many hooks can go into each hole of this type hanger. Do these work OK in those holes, or do we need to find a better solution?

Thanks, Mike"

Mike, we generally just take clothes on plastic hangers from the home closet and hang them through the hooks.  On a long trip, we will double up on maybe 5-10 of the hooks.  Sometimes a little tight, but it works out OK.  Give this a try before you waste money on another solution. You'd be surprised what you can stuff in the closet In 8 years the clothes (all of them) have fallen off the hanger strip only once.  I should add, ours is a 30' IB with two narrow closets.  If your closet is a double one, then you can double up even more hangers.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111376
OK, this is going to strike you as radical.

Hangers??? We have found we don't need no stinking hangers.
We have found that "dress" shirts and slacks have fewer wrinkles folded than hanging.
Our best advise is to forget about hangers and fill the wardrobe with plastic bins. You will also have more storage space this way.
Andy, send him a picture of your wardrobe. I think you have even more bins than we do.
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111378
Don took the words out of my mouth. I removed the hanger bar and filled the wardrobe with plastic storage drawers. Everything I own is either folded (shirts and pants) or rolled (jackets, socks, underwear). By actual count, in my wardrobe I currently have:

13 short-sleeved shirts 25 long-sleeved shirts (various weights from light cotton/poly to heavy denim and flannel) 10 pairs of pants (various weights, mostly denim) 5 pairs of shorts 2 microfleece jackets (for winter) 1 microsuede jacket (for spring and fall) 1 nylon windbreaker (can be layered over jackets) 2 sweatshirts 2 vinyl ponchos 2 t-shirts 5 pairs of gloves (from ventilated driving gloves to insulated gloves to welders' gloves) 2 knit hats 2 pairs of earmuffs 1 pair of ski-type pajamas (bottoms and tops) 1 heavy denim jumpsuit (for repair work) 1 pair of bedroom slippers 2 belts ... and enough underwear and socks to last a minimum of three weeks (with daily changes) between washings.
 That's just the clothing. I also have a microfleece blanket, a 12" Macintosh laptop, an attache case full of tools, a Makita cordless drill and flashlight, kits of drill bits and driver bits, a cordless screwdriver, a set of ratcheted English and metric combination wrenches, a 25' tape measure, 10x50 binoculars, an electrician's fishing tape, a 27-ounce dead-blow mallet, an infrared thermometer, a 2' flexible grabbing tool, three brushes for removing pet hair from upholstery, six spare door-mount wire shelves for future enhancements, several canvas carrying bags (stored folded), an electronic stud sensor, a stethoscope and a flyswatter. ;-)
 But that's not all. One of my plastic cabinets has twelve small drawers, in which I store various kinds of first aid and health supplies, straps and bungees of all kinds, small hooks, large hooks, self-adhesive Velcro and Dual Lock, many kinds of glue, and many kinds of tape--all neatly categorized in labeled drawers (as are the clothes).
 All these things are readily accessible without digging (I hate rummaging around in closets and drawers!). And if you're wondering what I do with the four drawers Lazy Daze put beneath the wardrobe in my midbath, the answer is that they're filled with specialized tools of various kinds, plus hardware: nuts, bolts, screws, knobs, hinges, brackets and whatever else I might need to build enhancements to my rig.
 By the way, I do keep half a dozen wire coat hangers on hand. I use them as a source of wire for making custom brackets. :-)
 I don't have a photo of my present wardrobe online, but you can see my previous rig's wardrobe here:

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/wardrobe.jpg>
 That's my approach: make best possible use of all available space. Hanging up clothes doesn't enter the picture. Rolled or folded--those are my watchwords. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111381
Quote from: Andy"

"13 short-sleeved shirts 25 long-sleeved shirts (various weights from light cotton/poly to heavy denim and flannel 10 pairs of pants (various weights, mostly denim)"

That's more than 3 weeks worth ;-)
 How about a compromise in the closet? We fill about a third with plastic containers and use the rest for hanging jackets etc. The containers go on one side from the bottom of the closet  to the hanger bar and the jackets etc. keep the containers from falling sideways. Socks and underwear are kept there and the rest of our clothes are rolled and stored in the overhead cabinets.
 We have an older model but the holes in the bar hold two plastic hangers, unless they're the heavy duty size. I use the velvet covered metal type and nothing has ever fallen off.
 Instead of packing heavy jackets, we have down vests to use for layering. They take up about the same space as a pair of socks ;-)

Karen

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111384
"We normally use the plastic hangers that have ether 1/4" diameter hooks or 3/8" hooks.  How many hooks can go into each hole of this type hanger. Do these work OK in those holes, or do we need to find a better solution?

Thanks, Mike
Mike
 I initially started using ordinary wire type hangers, the kind you get back with your clothing items from the dry cleaners. I found that they would dance on the hanger bar and wind up on the floor of the wardrobe.
 Then, in WallyWorld, I found some plastic types. These are quite fat, at least 1/4", possibly 5/8". the hanger 'hook' is reversable. At first I hung my garments with the open side of the hook facing to the rear. They still danced off the bar. Then I turned the hook so that the open side was forward. Haven't had a problem since.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111386
"...That's my approach: make best possible use of all available space. Hanging up clothes doesn't enter the picture. Rolled or folded--those are my watchwords..."

"...Hangers??? We have found we don't need no stinking hangers..."
 I am crushed!  I was shamed! NO...WIRE...HANGERS!  I feel like Daddy Dearest...(grin)

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 111394
"That's more than 3 weeks worth"
 Depends on the weather. Remember, if it's January and I run out of long-sleeved shirts, I can't just switch to short sleeves. I aim to have three weeks' worth of clothes *for any season.*
 But that's because I'm a fulltimer. If I were just vacationing in the warmer months, I'd need a lot less heavy clothing, obviously.
 Why three weeks? Because that's the maximum stay in New Mexico state parks, and because that's how long I can dry camp before I need to fill and dump my tanks. So if I'm in the middle of a project, I can sit in one place, without hookups, for three weeks before I need to dump or do laundry. It's a convenient rule of thumb for me.
 Of course it's possible to compromise and use part of the wardrobe for hanging things up. It's less space-efficient, but that's a trade-off some people are willing  to make. For myself, I don't buy clothing that wrinkles easily, just as I don't buy anything that requires dry cleaning. And I'm retired, so I'm not trying to impress anyone with what a snappy dresser I am. I dress for comfort, not style. In short, I don't have any reason to hang up clothes when I can store them more efficiently by folding or rolling them. But your mileage may vary, as they say. ;-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 111402
Quote from: Andy"

"for myself, I don't buy clothing that wrinkles easily,"

Everything wrinkles in a damp climate, including me ;-).
Seriously, when we travel west we don't need to worry about wrinkles either. I keep a few things hanging for when we need to look a little more presentable. You've been out of Jersey too long!! Remember the humidity? The wet, sticky stuff you hate so much?

Karen

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 111406
" How many hooks can go into each hole of this type hanger. Do these work OK in those holes, or do we need to find a better solution?"

Mike
 My wife is short and had a hard time reaching and using the hanger bar with the holes in it. It was replaced with a conventional round bar (PVC pipe) and off-the -shelf bar hangers, both from Home Depot http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/sets/72157602095134236/ She finds it much easier to load the closet up with the round bar.
 I'm do not see and advantage of the Factory bar's compared to a round bar.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 111413
I've learned to fold and/or roll most of my clothes and put them in the overhead storage units. They seldom get wrinkled. My husband's shirts and jackets get hung on those fuzzy covered, thin hangers that Target, Bed and Bath, etc. sells. They are wonderful hangers. Nothing slips off of them while traveling.
 We don't full time but my husband brings more clothes than he could possibly wear if we did full time. I stick with jeans and t-shirts.
 Happy travels...you will change how you pack and store at least 3 or 4 times as you mellow into using your wonderful new Lazy Daze.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 111414
At 11:37 AM 3/29/2010, you wrote:

We don't full time but my husband brings more clothes than he could possibly wear if we did full time. I stick with jeans and t-shirts.
This gave me a good laugh. Isn't it supposed to be the WIFE who overpacks?  :-)
 I confess to bringing more clothes than absolutely necessary on some occasions, especially if the weather is questionable. I'd rather have the right thing and the comfortable thing than have to make do with whatever is available. If I were a full-timer, I would have to be much more careful about my choices.

Sonsie