Skip to main content
Topic: Fastening onto the roof (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Fastening onto the roof
Yahoo Message Number: 111330
Here's a preliminary plan.  I want to hear if I'm about to make a big mistake about the roof on Truck.  What suggestions do I need?

I want to transport a bicycle (a lightweight 10-speed) on a single trip - I'll deliver it for Daughter to ride in some triathlon.

I'll strip it down some and carry it flat: wheels separate, maybe remove a pedal.  I think to put it on the roof and tie it to the railing.  But even so, it seems to need a tie-down somewhere in the middle of the roof, where only a mad person would make a hole.

So maybe I'll glue a wooden pad onto the roof, then tie onto an eye-screw or cleat or something on the pad.

I think gorilla glue would stick a 6x6 pad to the aluminum.

It seems like this is maybe a general solution to tie-downs on the roof.  What do y'all think?

John

Re: Fastening onto the roof
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111333
Here's a preliminary plan.  I want to hear if I'm about to make a big mistake about the roof on Truck.  What suggestions do I need?

I want to transport a bicycle (a lightweight 10-speed) on a single trip - I'll deliver it for Daughter to ride in some triathlon.

I'll strip it down some and carry it flat: wheels separate, maybe remove a pedal.  I think to put it on the roof and tie it to the railing.  But even so, it seems to need a tie-down somewhere in the middle of the roof, where only a mad person would make a hole.

So maybe I'll glue a wooden pad onto the roof, then tie onto an eye-screw or cleat or something on the pad.

I think gorilla glue would stick a 6x6 pad to the aluminum.

It seems like this is maybe a general solution to tie-downs on the roof.  What do y'all think?

John
I would avoid ANYTHING that put point pressure on the roof; point pressure like the ends of axles or pedals.  Don't want any dents or holes in the aluminum. The wood pad you mentioned would work but for an one shot deal seems like a lot of trouble.  Especially in that if I glued it, it would always be there because I would not dare try to remove it for fear of harming the .... aluminum roof (again).
 I have seen light weight bikes successfully strapped to the ladder.  I think I would do that.  I probably would go to a hardware store and buy some of the thick foam rubber tubes sold as hot water pipe insulation and use them to pad either the bike or the ladder (or both?) to keep from marring things.  Then it would be bungee straps and safety ropes to tie it to the ladder.

Just a thought

Linley

Fastening onto the roof
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111337
John, I recently installed a Wineguard Carry Out Satellite antenna on my 30' IB.
I did not want to penetrate the roof. I mounted the antenna  on the cargo rack by installing a !"" aluminum cross bar. The wiring I ran across the roof in  a conduit made of 1/2 " PVC from the antenna to the refrigerator vent a distance  of about 11'. I use wood blocks to screw into for the clamps to hold down for  the round conduit. To attach the blocks to the roof I used 3M VHB (very high  bond) tape. I've driven about 1500 miles and so far the tape is holding. Might  work for your bike tie down.

Jim  McGreal

98  30 IB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Fastening onto the roof
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111345
I carry a bike or two on almost every trip I make. Always inside. Especially a good triathalon bike. You don't say how much room you will have inside your rig. If you're not taking more than two people along, there's usually room to carry a bike inside: on the sofa, in the galley, the dinette with the table down, etc. The shower in some rigs is perfect. At night you can put it across the front seats.