Skip to main content
Topic: Bought a GPS recently? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Bought a GPS recently?
Yahoo Message Number: 111304
I've been doing my homework in the search for that "perfect" gps.  Before we make the jump I'll take any advice from a recent buyer, or from someone who would buy if they were in the market.  No way to get away from the bells and whistles but I'll probably end up buying a mid range unit.  Leaning to Garmin but I am not locked in.

Help me out!

Thanks,

Bill
Bill and Linda Hicks
2008 MB

Re: Bought a GPS recently?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111305
The laptop you already have, plus:

Microsoft Streets & Trips (used on ebay for $5) GlobalSat ND-100 USB GPS Receiver (Amazon for $25 ) 10 minute setup and it works like a champ.
I don't think it will talk, but I consider that a plus.

Good luck GP

__

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111306
Bill, been doing lots of comparison shopping and urge you to do the same. One nice feature about Garmin's web site is you can click on the features you want on the left side, and it eliminates all their products that don't have what you want. What you are left with, you can do a comparison on. Do try that.
 In my case, I wanted to know the proper lane to get into, I wanted voice notification by street name (IOW, turn left in 400 ft on Lincoln, not turn left in 400 feet), and I wanted the feature (for my wife) that when you take it out of the car, like to go shopping, it will return you to your car. I also wanted the lifetime traffic included feature (no additional cost, IOW). Those requirements left me with 2 choices, the 755t and the 765t, the only difference in the 2 being the second has Bluetooth (for making phone calls through your GPS, not a feature I require).

Try it, you'll like it!

Lee
2000 TK
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111307
Bought the Garmin 855 because of voice recognition.  Then bought another for brother-in-law as a gift.  Last one was $180 or thereabouts from Amazon.
They are now $174.54 with free shipping.  Didn't opt for the 855T because I wasn't interested in Bluetooth.  Folks on the board here discussed this at length a couple of months ago and voice recognition was one thing folks liked.  I agree.  If you want the bean bag mount, and are a Costco member, buy the mount from Costco.  Free shipping and cheaper than Amazon.com

John Chug 1994 TK

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111317
Hi Bill, We have had our Garmin Nuvi 660 for three years. Used a friend's TomTom a few weeks ago for comparison. So these are a few comments based on what works for me as a full timer.
 First...there are no perfect GPS systems. Met a guy in LL Bean's one day in Maine and he came back to the store where he bought it to complain that on his first run with his 40 foot Class A, the GPS directed him to a residential cul-de-sac where he couldn't turn around. A lot of fuming and cussing before he had help to extricate himself from a difficult situation. Turns out he had the GPS tuned to "auto" rather than "truck". So...first lesson...make sure it is in "truck" mode.
 Second...it really is helpful to preview your routing first with a map, state/country atlas, or the Microsoft Streets and Trips software. We start there depending on the situation. Love the Streets and Trip software as it makes everything so easy!
 Third...make sure you have voice commands as well as visual. The voice on the TomTom was locked out for some reason and I felt handicapped since I depended on visual only. Not a good situation.
 Fourth...search for units that include life long maps updated annually as part of the price. I believe that Costco has some Garmins on sale now with these benefits. I recently paid an extra $100 to get this feature separate from the original cost of the Garmin unit.
 Fifth...override your unit with common sense if you feel it doesn't line-up with your original map plans.
 We love our Garmin GPS system and use it also for auto, biking, and urban walking.

Best of luck in your search. David (Eugene, OR) 1998 LD MB