Skip to main content
Topic: Surge protectors (Read 24 times) previous topic - next topic
Surge protectors
Yahoo Message Number: 111288
I just checked the archives and it appears the Progressive EMS-HW30 is probably the best of the hardwired surge protectors. My question is with the installation. I want to protect both shore power and generator. So, is the best place to assume I have both is to find the 110V "entrance" wire in to the power distribution (brown circuit breaker) panel? Seems logical, but...
Thanks.
Ken
 PS, is there a newer, better surge protector available? The archives is _past_ information :)
Former 2009 MB owner

Re: Surge protectors
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111301
"So, is the best place to assume I have both is to find the 110V "entrance" wire in to the power distribution (brown circuit breaker) panel? Seems logical, but..." Ken
 You need to access the 120-VAC wires coming from the transfer switch to the circuit breaker bus bars. The converter will have to out to run the new wires to the surge converter.
Splice in a piece of 12-2 romex to the transfer switch wires. Connect another piece of romex to the breaker buses. Run both of the pieces of romex through the side of the box, using the knockouts, to where the surge protector box will be mounted. Make the connections inside the EMS-HW30.  Mount the readout in a viewable place.
 BTW, Progressive EMS-HW30, in our DL, has worked flawlessly, kicking out a few times when the voltage is too low or if the power is wired wrong.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

surge protector
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111328
As I wrote a couple of months back, I had the original LD magnatek converter replaced with a standard paralexx/magnatex replacement converter, and it immediately had severe 'buzzing' issues, on top of having a VERY noisy fan motor--almost as loud ad the furnace. I hated that darned thing! Really set my teeth on edge, having an elec. cricket on steroids or acid living in my RV!
 The magnatex  co. failed to replace the unit thru my installer after numerous phone calls, letters, e-mails, etc., soooooo... the GOOD news is I replaced the unit myself with the Progressive dynamics PD4600 unit...what a difference!! My installer is no longer going to offer the magnatek, having seen this unit, and how it installs...took him about 30 minutes yesterday. It was only $213 at Best RV, which was about $80 less than the Paralexx cost thru the installer.

I also had him put in the Progressive Dynamics EMS-HW30C surge protector --[I have the 30ft. IB] and it all installed easily under the sink; lots of room there....the remote mounted perfectly between the bottom drawer and the under-stove cabinet. And it does protect from both external and generator sources...both units arrived within four days, both free shipping....
 I'm actually happy that the first failed--I MUCH prefer these two units!!
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "Kooch" our little red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."

surge protector
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 137681
Larry and Andy: First, Kudos on your efforts and input at the GTG.
 I seem to have missed details on which surge protector your recommend.
Please reiterate one more time.
I have a very "stock" 26.5 midbath if you remember.
Steve

-- Stevan S. Chandler CLPF California Licensed Professional Fiduciary #44

... when only a professional will do.
 Assistance for at risk persons; Bill paying service with home visits; Helping seniors with out-of-state family; Power of Attorney; Executor; Conservatorships; Guardianships; Trustee services P.O. Box 1426, San Mateo, CA 94401 phone 650-344-3233    fax 650-344-3833

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: surge protector
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 137687
I have used a Surge Guard for six years.  At least one time I know it prevented damage from low power at the pedestal.  Several time thunder storms popped up and it was good to know I had my protector

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 137689
Stevan Chandler  wrote: I seem to have missed details on which surge protector your recommend.
--- The specs under each product in the following links list the significant differences between "surge protectors" and "Electrical Management Systems":

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ssp_30.htm
 http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt30c.htm

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_lchw30.htm

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 137700
So, Joan: What would you recommend I purchase?

-- Stevan S. Chandler CLPF California Licensed Professional Fiduciary #44

... when only a professional will do.
 Assistance for at risk persons; Bill paying service with home visits; Helping seniors with out-of-state family; Power of Attorney; Executor; Conservatorships; Guardianships; Trustee services P.O. Box 1426, San Mateo, CA 94401 phone 650-344-3233    fax 650-344-3833

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 137711
"What would you recommend I purchase?"

Steve

This is the one I like, a hardwired model, with a remote display.
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw30c.htm
 Our EMS-HW30C   has found an improperly wired pedestal and kicked out for under-voltage. The display lets you know what is happening.
 Hardwired models require no action from you, they work automatically.
They also protect the RV from a malfunctioning generator, something the portable models cannot do.
Portable models require getting them out and plugging it in and them you get to worry about some lowlife stealing the thing so you need to lock it down. Arriving late on a rainy night will make you appropriate having a hardwired model.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 137714
Steve,
 I will second Larry's recommendation.  I installed the EMS-HW3C in my 2005 MB shortly after I got the rig.  It works great!  We really tested it in 2007 during a two-month trip to Mexico.  Once in a while we see it trip for over/under voltage; usually during hot weather where there are significant swings in the power.  During a recent trip we were in two campgrounds that had wiring problems; "open ground" & "hot-neutral reversed."  The unit would not let power into the rig until I got the maintenance people to fix the problem. (Actually one campground did not have a maintenance person available.  They shutoff the power feed to the site post and I corrected the wiring.)
 Many people wire the unit between the transfer switch and the 30 amp main breaker in the AC  distribution panel.  Mine is wired just into the shore power line so doesn't function if the generator is running.  I intend to change that.
 There is always a question about where to physically mount the box.  I sacrificed some bathroom shelf space in my MB and mounted it there.  I figured that if the unit were going to fail, it would happen on a rainy night when I really didn't  want to be crawling around in outside compartments doing repair work.  I can get the cover off without any problem and I carry an "emergency jumper kit"; several pieces of large wire and some large wire nuts. In a pinch I can electrically bypass the unit.  (Ok, I still have to go out into the rain and turn off the power at the campground post!)
 The people that build the unit are also very helpful and wil give you detailed answers to your questions.

Doug

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 137721
Doug,
 Their website says there is a bypass switch on the remote panel. Would this do the job, so you didn't need to rewire to bypass the unit?

Eric Greenwell
2005 Jayco 24SS

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 137723
"Their website says there is a bypass switch on the remote panel. Would this do the job, so you didn't need to rewire to bypass the unit?"
 Normally, yes. I've used that feature a few times. But this time, the failure I described was such that the bypass switch didn't do me any good. I had to "get out and get under" to wire around the damaged EMS unit.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 137730
Unless they have changed the design, the bypass switch does not create a "true bypass" that routes power around the box.  Instead it tells the box to ignore any errors detected (over voltage, etc.) and keep the power flowing through the box.  Even in the "bypass" mode the actual surge protection circuits are still connected and operational.  I have used the bypass function a few times when the campground voltage kept jumping around the "overvoltage" limit causing the box to cycle the power on and off.  In such cases I have disconnected all AC power devices;  particularly the refrigerator.  Only left the inverter running as it is very tolerant of AC input voltage.
 When I bought my unit, my primary concern was the electronics section of the box.  It detects the absence of problems and energizes a contactor which lets power flow through the box.  Initially I understood that if the electronics failed, the bypass switch didn't work.  Still don't know for sure if this is true as I have not taken the time to play with it.  In any case, I no longer worry about it as the box has not had a problem in 7 years.  (I think that my jumper kit is still in the rig someplace.)

Doug

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 137731
"the [Progressive Industries EMS] bypass switch does not create a 'true bypass' that routes power around the box. Instead it tells the box to ignore any errors detected (over voltage, etc.) and keep the power flowing through the box. Even in the 'bypass' mode the actual surge protection circuits are still connected and operational."

Exactly right.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"