Skip to main content
Topic: Touchy Clearance Light Bulbs (Read 11 times) previous topic - next topic
Touchy Clearance Light Bulbs
Yahoo Message Number: 111274
I'm having a problem with the rectangular, red clearance light mounted on the side of my '04 MB just forward of the left rear bumper.
 The two bulbs illuminate intermittently, which I think is caused by oxidation of the contacts inside the sockets. Other owners have suggested I use a file to clean the contacts but the opening is very small. Does anyone have a suggestion of what the best tool or device is to clean these contacts?

Thanks, Paul

Re: Touchy Clearance Light Bulbs
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111277
Paul I find spray silicon works pretty well. Spray the sockets good and then insert and remove the bulbs several times. If ts the little ones with the two folded wires sometimes turning the bulb over so the contacts are reversed helps. never overr look the fact that the filiments can be broken and jiggle in and out of contact inside the bulb. I am not sure what clearance lamps you have but many styles of new ones are less than $5.00 each and some styles are very easy to replace.
I just had to repair an intermittent on the front clearance lamps of my other brand RV and it was a lose ground under the material and wppd over the drivers door and toook a while to find and make room to repair. After I got the working the leftmost still had problems s uch as you are describing and it was the contscts and the silicon fixed it up. There are special contact cleaners available. Craig's DeOXit  is one such brand..

Good Luck Garry

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111278
"Does anyone have a suggestion of what the best tool or device is to clean these contacts?"

Thanks, Paul
I just walked out and popped the cover from mine, an '04 30'IB. My bulbs are the type with the contact wires that slide into the socket. You need to pull the bulbs out and burnish the wires to remove any oxidation. A fine grade of emery cloth should do it!

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111280
 Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2010 6:03 PM
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: [LD] Touchy Clearance Light Bulbs

I'm having a problem with the rectangular, red clearance light mounted on the side of my '04 MB just forward of the left rear bumper.
 The two bulbs illuminate intermittently, which I think is caused by oxidation of the contacts inside the sockets. Other owners have suggested I use a file to clean the contacts but the opening is very small. Does anyone have a suggestion of what the best tool or device is to clean these contacts?

Thanks, Paul

Paul,
 There's been some good responses so far. Mine's slightly different. For cleaning the contact surfaces, Scotch-Brite is ideal. It will remove oxidation or corrosion and little else. You might already have some in the kitchen. If you have an old scissors, you can cut a strip of Scotch-Brite material that will be handy. A needle-nose pliers, tweezers etc can be used to extend your reach if need be. Once the contact surfaces are clean, you can coat them with a small dab of silicone grease and that will prevent future problems - it does this by essentially providing a gas-tight connection at the contacts. Silicone spray will work too, but may not last a long.

all the best,

bumper
Yonder
Minden, NV

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111293
"Does anyone have a suggestion of what the best tool or device is to clean these contacts?"
 For the bulb, a pencil eraser will usually do a good job unless the corrosion is severe. For the socket, which has a very narrow opening, one good strategy is to take a thin piece of card stock and wrap a strip of fine (320 grit) sandpaper or emery cloth around it, so that it can be inserted in place of the bulb.
 A thin layer of silicone lubricant or bulb grease applied afterward will help retard future corrosion. If you have Caig Laboratories' DeOxIt on hand, that's probably the best treatment of all.
 Just as an aside... has anyone else noticed that home audio and video connectors, which are used in a benign environment, are almost universally gold-plated to prevent corrosion... while automotive connectors and bulbs, which are used in an extremely hostile environment, never are? Seems kinda stupid, doesn't it?

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111296
Andy, aside from the cost, gold diffuses rapidly under high current conditions but is great for signal level currents.  Also its very soft and doesn't do well under vibration.  Jack

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 111597
I finally got a chance to visit my rig to work on that intermittent, red, side clearance light.
 I borrowed a pair of (cuticle, I think) scissors from my wife, which are 3 3/4 inches long, with a curved, sharp end. They fit nicely into the socket where I gently scraped the inside contacts. I then opened the scissors and gently scraped the bulb contacts with 1/2 of the open blade. I had to repeat the operation on one of the bulbs but when I tested them with several vigorous finger-flicks they remained steadily illuminated and I have great hope that the fix is permanent.

Paul.