Skip to main content
Topic: Newfoundland links (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Newfoundland links
Yahoo Message Number: 111210
To all, I have added two links on travel to Newfoundland. One is for Marine Atlantic ferry service and the other is Newfoundland Tourism.
Mike

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Re: Newfoundland links
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111279
Having been in Newfoundland in the 60's thanks to our rich Uncle's Navy I can say that the country is beautiful, the people are friendly(with the exception of a few RCMP's) , and the weather "Interesting". When the flounder are running you can catch them on a bare treble hook at times. Some said that if you missed the 4th of July you missed summer but you really usually had a couple more weeks to enjoy it. There was a lot of gravel over where we were and little pavement but that can all change in 40 years.
 I am just glad I didn't meet any of the RCMP's when I was in the wrong, so even those guys were friendly.

Garry

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111289
Garry, Now you will find most of the roads paved and plenty of fuel stops.
There is still an occasional gravel road in some of the more remote locations. While stationed there, was it in Argentia? That base has been closed since 1994 and leveled. All that left are the ammo bunkers in the woods to the north. The wharf there is now the eastern ferry terminal.
If anyone is interested in international road racing, about the first of September they have the Targa Newfoundland race that is about a week long occurring in several areas across the island. Teams come from many different countries to compete. See: http://www.targanewfoundland.com/

>
Many don't know just how large the  island of Newfoundland is (16th largest island in the world). From Port aux Basques  on the SW tip to St. John's on the eastern end is about 600-miles+/- via the Trans Canada Hwy (TCH). There are several tourist chalets along the way, the first is just on the edge of Port aux Basques which has a very large parking area where one can do an overnight stay if necessary. Just down the road from there is Cheeseman Prov. Park right on the shore of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. No hookups, but the scenery is great. A little further up the TCH in Codroy Valley is a good private campground with full hookups.
One sure thing about the Newfoundland weather is "It Will Change!" Patience is the rule.
As a retired Florida deputy sheriff, I have gotten to know many RCMP and Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (RNC) constables (officers). They are all very friendly helpful people. A little known fact: the RNC is the oldest continually operating law enforcement agency in North America! I have several close friends on that force. While there, don't hesitate in seeking out a constable for assistance or just a friendly conversation. Tell them "You know a Florida deputy." (Me) :-) Mike Coachman
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111290
Gary, You need to go back some day. You won't be disappointed. Another side note and place to visit in the Gander area: The "Silent Witness" Arrow Air Flight 1285 memorial just off of the TCH where the airport runway approach crosses the road. This is the crash site memorial to the 248 US servicemen of the 101st Airborne Division that perished there in 1985. It is a worthwhile visit.
Mike
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111291
Another side

note and place to visit in the Gander area: The "Silent Witness" Arrow Air Flight 1285 memorial just off of the TCH where the airport runway approach crosses the road. This is the crash site memorial to the 248 US servicemen of the 101st Airborne Division that perished there in 1985. It is a worthwhile visit.

Gander is also the place where 39 planes coming from Europe landed when U.S. airspace was closed on 9/11.  Tom Brokaw did a piece on Gander and 9/11 during the recent Winter Olympics. The people of Gander clothed and fed some 6,500 passengers for the next four days.  What the people of Gander did for these stranded passengers speaks to the better nature of people.
 You can read about it at http://www.ganderairport.com/911.htm.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 111299
Linda, Not only did Gander take passengers into their homes, but the same thing occurred in St. John's and other Newfoundland communities. Many lasting friendships were created there by this unfortunate event.
Mike
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'