Skip to main content
Topic: Travel Newfoundland from Mike Coachman (Read 13 times) previous topic - next topic
Travel Newfoundland from Mike Coachman
Yahoo Message Number: 111207
To all interested in travel to Newfoundland,
 note: [I have posted a photo album "Newfoundland Travels" on the group site illustrating some of the locations described below]
 First, the best time to travel there. Forget May and sometimes, June.
Depends on each year's weather. We have been there starting early June and it was, as they say there, "It's a mauzy RDF (rain, drizzle, fog) time on the 'Rock!'" (what the island is called by the Newfies).
By early July the weather is better most days and one can usually see icebergs along the northern shore until mid-July. The whales are also feeding on Caplin (small fish) all around the island. There are many whale watch & iceberg boat tours available. Late July the cod fishing period (3-weeks) opens and one can talk just about anyone in the small costal outports (villages) into a "Day on the Bay" getting your fish.
The blackflies are usually gone by mid-July. Mosquitoes gone by late July. Repellant works on these pest.
August is beautiful and the wild berries ripen later in the month.
The berries are: blueberry, partridgeberry, bakeapple, cranberry, strawberry and an occasional blackberry. Spectacular hiking is available everywhere. Dry camping can be done most anywhere and there are provincial campgrounds available all across the island along with some private ones. Usually just ask anyone in any of the outports where one could park for the night and you will be surprised at the hospitality you will receive. Remember, during the 9/11 event when over 6000 airline passengers were stranded in Newfoundland, most were taken into private homes for the five days of "No Fly." Pippy Park is a city run campground in the capital of St. John's and reservation would be required. St John's is the oldest (1497) European city in North America and is worth spending at least a week there minimum.
While there, go to the Royal Newfoundland Regatta rowing event in early August which is the oldest continuously run sporting event in North America. Take in Folk Music Festival and enjoy music that have roots in early Irish, English, Scottish, & French traditions. Go to Ferryland on the southern shore (1-hour from St. John's) for a Lighthouse Picnic (reservations required) in August and sit on the hill above the Atlantic and watch whales feeding off shore as you have an excellent lunch prepared by the host .
September is also (usually) a good weather month and fall colors begin in the latter days of the month. The colors are spectacular on the western side of 'The Rock'. Winter starts in October. Use June & October to tour Nova Scotia and the other maritimes.
Some of my favorite places:  Gros Morne National Park is beautiful with fjords between the mountains. All of Newfoundland is mountainous.
It is the northern end of the Appalachian Range. At the tip of the Northern Peninsula is L'Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site is where the vikings lived for 25-years in 1000AD. While driving there, look out for the many moose along the way. They can cause a lot of damage if you hit one on the road.  The drive to Trout River passed mountains that look like the surface of Mars. They are pieces of the earth's mantle that got caught on top of the crust and very little grows there. If you like local stone jewelry, Meyers Minerals in Pasadena is the place for you. We stop there every trip. West of Corner Brook is Bottle Cove and Blow-Me_Down campground on the Bay of Islands. Take your camera.
Northern Shore. Baie Verte Peninsula. Coachman's Cove (you know I would check that place out) is a small outport where I have parked overnight then continued to Fleur de Lys for a hike out to Partridge Point to see an iceberg. Along that trail is a 5000-year old soapstone quarry. The road to La Scie passes some gold & copper mines.
Twillingate seems to always have icebergs during the season. Near there is a ferry (can take RV's) to Change Islands and Fogo. It is worth the trip and park where ever you like. Tera Nova National Park has a very large campground. There is a Shriner's Campground with hookups in Eastport just off the Trans Canada Hwy.
Bonavista Peninsula.  Trinity has a history going back to the early 1500's as does Bonavista. The movie "The Shipping News" was filmed in the area.
Burin Peninsula. Want to go to France? At Fortune, take a walk-on (only) ferry to the french owned (not Canada) island of St. Pierre and stay at a Bed & Breakfast (get reservations). Shop for french goods but take your Euros for currency.
Avalon Peninsula. Don't miss Cape St. Mary's sea stacks bird sanctuary and lighthouse. This is part of the "Irish Loop" around the southern Avalon. You may see a large Caribou herd in the Trepassey area. Several years ago we watched an eclipse of the sun just after sunrise at Cape Race. The radio station there was the first to receive the SOS from the Titanic.
Baccalieu Peninsula loop drive.  You pass through Heart's Delight, Heart's Desire, Hearts Content and Dildo (Portuguese word meaning "Safe harbor or waters). There is the original trans-ocean cable telegraph station museum(1858) in Heart's Content. The airstrip outside Harbor Grace is where Amelia Earhart  departed for Europe.
Brigis is another town with lots of history and a weekend long Blueberry Festival.
NE Avalon Peninsula. Bell Island Iron Mine tour goes out under the bay in the town of Wabana (means "First Light").
You may find us in Portugal Cove parked in a friend's yard as you pass through driving the loop past Bauline, Pouch Cove, Flat Rock, Torbay, Middle Cove, or Logy Bay. Don't miss Signal Hill, Cape Spear, Petty Harbor, Witless Bay, Bay Bulls and stay at the La Manche Provincial Park Campground. While there take the 45-minute walk to La Manche cove. Have your camera! Further down the coast is Renews where the Mayflower took on provisions before continuing on to Plymouth Rock.
Getting there. 24-hour ferry service runs year round with 3-4 large vehicle ferries in service. The newest is the Atlantic Vision (see photo in album), a cruise ship size vessel that can carry 531 vehicles on four auto decks. The other ferries carry 300+ vehicles each. The ferries depart North Sidney, Nova Scotia and arrive in Port aux Basques Newfoundland. The trip is about 100-miles long and takes about
6-hours. Day crossings are the best with entertainment on the ship.
 Cost one way for our 27' motorhome and CRV attached auto was about $280 +/-(Canadian$$$) last year. The longer you stay on the island the better your return on what it cost to use the ferry. The ferries also go to Argentia (Avalon Peninsula) during the summer (only) but the additional cost is more than what the fuel would cost returning to Port Aux basque for the return trip.
Remember, the people are generally VERY friendly and helpful. Don't be afraid to join in.
If anyone has any further questions, let me know.
Mike Coachman
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Re: Travel Newfoundland from Mike Coachman
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111217
"If anyone has any further questions, let me know"

Mike

Thanks for the detailed trip description.
A copy has been placed in my "Bucket List" file.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: Travel Newfoundland from Mike Coachman
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111239
"If anyone has any further questions, let me know"

Mike

Thanks for the detailed trip description.
A copy has been placed in my "Bucket List" file.

Larry
I'll second the thanks to Mike; let's go! -- Jon
(Former) ‘06 TK “Albatross.” And (former) Vespa 250.   Alas, no more; both are gone.😕 Great memories remain! 😄

Travel Newfoundland
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 111249
Don, Sometimes getting there is half the fun, particularly if you have time to do the back roads.
Mike
2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Re: Travel Newfoundland
Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 111259
You gotta take courage, Don!
 Sherry and I spent July 2004 on the Rock, and I'm hoping to return.  We started