Skip to main content
Topic: Maiden Voyage Complete! (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic
Maiden Voyage Complete!
Yahoo Message Number: 111184
Our long-awaited, and longed for, purchase of a 24 ft. FD Lazy Daze has finally come to pass and the silver beauty is finally up here in Northern Nevada in its spacious RV barn.  Yahooo!  After parking her in her den and plugging in the shore power (making sure to close the propane valve as required by the manager of the storage lot), I stood back and gazed upon her shiny chrome front grille, faux front windows, and the Lazy Daze logo, and said to myself, "I can't believe it.  Finally!"
 First of all, I want to thank all the folks on this forum who gave me some splendid ideas as to where to stop once we started our trip from Las Vegas up to Carson City.  After riding along with Colin (the ICC driver, who is a very nice guy) to Vegas, we stayed two nights at the Oasis RV resort.  We found this place to be very nice and they gave us a "locals" discount so we were able to stay with full hookups for about 25 bucks a night.  With full hookups, we took the opportunity to check all the appliances out (A/C, microwave, etc.) and enjoyed the learning experience.  While we were relaxing at the Oasis, a man who was driving an older Chinook came up and just raved about the LD and how he was going to get one in the next year or so. We made sure to top off the propane tank (it was 1/3 full upon delivery) and gas up before leaving Vegas for Tonopah.
 Not wanting to brave the crazy downtown freeway traffic through Vegas, we decided to head out Hwy 160 through Pahrump and pick up Hwy 95 further north.  This plan worked out very well and gave me a chance to get used to driving the rig without a lot of hectic traffic. The drive up 95 from the 160 junction was very windy and I learned a lot about driving the rig in the wind; both headwinds and crosswinds.  Whew!  I was tired and a little shakey after that experience.  Gassed up and bought some food and headed for Miller's Rest Stop.  There was one other rig (a giant 5th wheel) parked in the overnight parking.  They had their side and we had ours.  Wonderful.  Ran the gennie to nuke some dinner and a bag of popcorn.  We blocked off the cab with a thick blanket and turned on the furnace when it got in the low 60s inside.  Woke up to 32 degrees outside and 65 degrees inside.  Brewed some coffee and soon we were on our way.
 Stopped at the first campground on the south shore of Walker Lake for lunch and treated ourselves to a relaxing meal with a view of the lake on one side and the snowcapped mountains on the other.  Wind was not an issue from this point on and we rolled into our home town via Hwy 50.  What a delight the dry camping experience was!
 Looking forward to many trips in the future.  Now to find a shop to install some base plates on our Jeep for towing.  Again, thanks to all for the encouragement from this group.  You all were on our minds last week.

Cindy Silver 09 FD