Skip to main content
Topic: 1995 22' no generator (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
1995 22' no generator
Yahoo Message Number: 111120
i was wondering if anyone has permanently installed a portable generator. I have a 3000 Yamaha portable and it would save me a bunch of $$ to install this in the generator space. i can get a remote to turn it on and it would work for my purposes.
any info and help would be greatly appreciated.if you can send me an email directly to my email address that would be great. thanks.

Re: 1995 22' no generator
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111125
"I was wondering if anyone has permanently installed a portable generator. I have a 3000 Yamaha portable"

Arlene

Have you measure to see if it will fit? The Onan Emerald 4000 generator, used in the older LDs, stands 14" high.
http://www.cumminsbridgeway.com/Products/Used/UsedSpecSheets/Emerald4000.pdf> The Yamaha 3000 generator stands 22" high.
http://salestores.com/yamaha16.html> The 8" difference in height probably means it will not fit in the Factory generator compartment.
If it fits, you will need to have a frame built to support it, install an electric fuel pump, the plumbing needed to connect the generator to the LD's fuel tank and a remote start panel, if one is made for this model generator.
Unless you can do this yourself, it will not be cheap

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: 1995 22' no generator
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111126
"I was wondering if anyone has permanently installed a portable generator. I have a 3000 Yamaha portable"
 I should have added that Yamaha was designed to be in the open. Its cooling system was not made for a confined space.
What it comes down to is a Yamaha 3000 or any 3000-watt generator is not practical for use in or with a LD. For most, it is too big and heavy to carry and it was not made to be mounted nor is there room to store it and the fuel cans.
If you mount it on the back bumper, someone will steal it.
If you have a toad, it could be carried in it. The problem is that it is a heavy lift at 148lbs.
How about selling the Yamaha and applying the money toward an Onan Microquiet?

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)