Skip to main content
Topic: North, to Alaska -- by the calendar? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
North, to Alaska -- by the calendar?
Yahoo Message Number: 111031
This looks like the year for Sherry and me to take Truck to AK.  I'm puzzled on how to set a departure date.
 We'd like to go north from Colorado.  Enter Canada using what Milepost calls the East Access Route (Calgary, Edmonton), then on toward Fairbanks.
 It will be pleasant if we travel northward in company with the onset of spring.
 Can someone suggest a way to predict when the cherries will be ripe? How do I get hints from an almanac?

John

Re: North, to Alaska -- by the calendar?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 111047
John,
 You can get average temperature data at weather.com and other sites.

For example,
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Re: North, to Alaska -- by the calendar?
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 111051
John,
 Having lived in Alaska, and mostly in Fairbanks (Golden Heart of the North) for the last 55 years, we've traveled The Highway numerous times.  I would not plan to arrive in Alaska much before 1 June--otherwise you can run into mud and the messy residue from breakup.  Also, by June the trees will have pretty well leafed out, and skeeters will have started to come out in force, and you surely do not want to miss them!!!  June and July are the warm months in the Interior of Alaska.  By August you may expect some rain, and then September is a glorious time with golden leaves, warm days, blue skys, and crisp nights.  Really, any time from June to Oct will be fine.
 I had friends who were overly anxious one year and while trying to camp in the Valdez area Memorial Day, were sorry not to have a snow scoop to open the camp area!

Happy trails,

Carl