Skip to main content
Topic: New TV for Deja Blue, installation surprises (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
New TV for Deja Blue, installation surprises
Yahoo Message Number: 110941
I purchased a new 19" Visio TV to replace the old 15" Sharp factory unit in Deja Blue 26.5' MB.  I plan to use the existing mount and run the cables inside the square tube that slides in and out.
I unscrewed the panel covering behind the TV to get at the cables and what do I find?   A box that is labeled "Ignition and Ground input and 5A +12V, shield, and ground output.  I did not know it was there.  Is this a 12VDC power conditioner for the old TV?  Is there any reason why I should not connect the new TV to this box? The Viso has a 115VAC wall wart with 12 VDC 4.58 Amp power out cable to a 12VDC input plug on the back of the TV.  What a good surprise these two things are.  With not a lot of effort and mount modification I wlll be able to use the old mount and run hidden cables much the same as the original Sharp TV.  The new Visio is only a little bit larger than the old Sharp TV as the speakers are on the rear not on each side.  Any comments? Deja Blue's Driver

Gary G

Re: New TV for Deja Blue, installation surprises
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110942
Gary,
 I did the very same thing recently on my '05 MB.  My 19" Vizio (I got the LED version which uses less power) is actually a bit smaller than the original Sharp.  The box you found (and I've never uncovered mine) is a "regulated" 12 volt power supply.   In other words, it puts out 12 volts even if the house batteries are putting out 14 volts or 11 volts.  You can use that power supply as is to power the TV *instead* of the "brick" that comes with Vizio TV.  You will need to replace the power plug that used to power the Sharp TV with the one that comes with the Vizio.  They are quite similar, but unfortunately not the same.  The inside hole in the Sharp power plug is larger than the one on Vizio's plug.  Cut both the power cables and solder the Vizio cable to the cable attached to the regulated power supply OBSERVING POLARITIES.  As I recall, and please double check this, the positive wire goes to the inside contact of the plug.
 My Sharp TV, besides the VESA (Video Equipment Standards Association) standard 10 centimeter square array of bolts that screw into the back of the TV, had what I've called "fingers" clamping the top and bottom of the TV.  I've tossed away the top fingers assembly.  It's just screwed on with nuts and bolts.  The bottom part is a horse of another color.  I took off the plate that is in contact with the TV and hacksawed off the bottom of it horizontally about a half inch below the the VESA mounting holes.  You have to do this otherwise the plate will be blocking some of the umpteen input and output connectors on the back of the TV.  Of course this surgery will cut off the bottom "fingers" as well.  They don't match up to support the TV anyway.  As bumper had mentioned the support arm and other parts are steel despite the look of aluminum.  Power tools are quite useful in the surgery.
 Remember to put some "Threadlocker Blue" (by Permatex and available at Walmart), or equivalent, on the VESA bolts.  They are the only thing holding up the TV and you don't want them to work themselves out.

Works for me.

Alex Rutchka
'05 MB

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110943
"The Visio has a 115-VAC wall wart with 12 VDC 4.58 Amp power out cable to a 12VDC input plug on the back of the TV"

Gary

Do you know what models have a 12-volt brick? Visio's website does not indicate the TV's actual input voltage; instead it lists the brick's wall-voltage.
I wish this set had been around a couple of years ago, there were few 12-volt, 19" sets to choose from.
Good find.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110966
Could you advise the specific model number?...   I'd love to get rid of my Sharp also.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 110987
For those that do not shop at Costco,  I purchased my 19" VISIO at my local "Sams" store.  It is a "Razor LED", Model No. VM190XVT, UPC   8 45226  00291  5     The TV W/O Stand is 19.0"(W) X 12.5"(H) X 1.7"(D).  I removed the stand bracket from the bottom of the TV.  I also had to cut the bottom from the old Lazy Daze Factory bracket and I plan to use the permatex blue screw lock on the 4 screws on the back of the new VISIO.  There is also a 22 inch unit available, however I think that you would run into an oversize issue.
Deja Blue's Driver

Gary G

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 111016
Looked at mine today. No power regulator provided on my '06. House battery is applied directly to the 12V plug to the TV (13.8 if shore power is plugged in).  But I ripped the old Sharp LCD TV off the mount