Skip to main content
Topic: How much Eternabond? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
How much Eternabond?
Yahoo Message Number: 110926
I'm planning doing my rooftop seams with Eternabond tape.  Before getting up there with a tape measure (wet, cold and windy today) and measuring every seam and around vents and other areas with sealant, I figured I'd ask here.  How much 4" Eternabond tape will I need for a 26.5' MB?  This would be the roof edges, all vents, ladder mounts and other roof penetrations. It seems that one 50' roll might not be quite enough.

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Re: How much Eternabond?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110927
It seems that one 50' roll might not be quite enough.

Art

It isn't enough for a short 23'5' model. You will need two rolls.
Extra Eternabond tape is a good thing to carry in your repair box.
It can be used to fix a wide variety of broken things including punctured holding tanks.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 110936
"Larry"  wrote: It isn't enough for a short 23'5' model. You will need two rolls.
--- I just bought two 50' 4" rolls of Eternabond to seal the seams and vents of my 23.5'; from my "rough" measurements (about 17' each for the side seams, and about 8.5' each for the front and rear seams), it will take 50' just to do the front, rear, and side seams. I figured at least 5' for each of the vents with overlapping corners; whatever is left over goes into a zip lock, then into the tool bag.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 110937
See "Article26.pdf" in the "Files" Section on "Techsnoz". On my 26.5 RB I used one 50 foot roll of 4 inch for the seams and 1 roll of 2 inch for the vents.
Any downside (beside cost) in using 4" tape on vents and other roof penetrations?

Art
Art and Barbara
Settled in Atterdag Village of Solvang
2015-2022 fulltime in a 2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP
2002-2015 2002 LD MB
Art's blog

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 110939
I did it a little differently on my '02 MB. I am not yet finished, I have used up one 50' roll.  It wasn't enough so I bought a 25' roll and a 50' roll of 6" wide for the roof rack.(6" doesn't come any shorter)  I figured that it would be neater to make squares with the 6" stuff and cut a "keyhole".  That way it would be one piece and only have a half seam.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 110940
Go with 2 50' rolls.  I also have a MB and was left with maybe a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a roll left.  I doubled up on the front seam (nose to roof), as the width of the factory sealant was fairly wide and didn't leave much contact with non-sealant area.  So I biased my first pass to the rear, the second pass overlaping the first, but biased to the front.  Doing it that way only exposes one seam/edge to oncoming elements/wind, etc.

I did use the 4" stuff for all roof seals (vents, hatches, storage rails) and didn't have to many problems.  When I needed a thinner piece, I just cut the 4" stuff in half.

It helps to have a piece of scrap wood with you on the roof while doing the job to use as a cutting board.  Some other things to keep in mind when doing round seals like tank vents and rails.  I had to use multiple pieces to get a good seal, so use the same logic as roofing a house.  Start from the bottom and work your way up.  Also keep the direction of travel in mind.  So when doing the square vents, my first piece of Eternabond went on the rear seam, then sides, front seam last.  Again to help protect the leading edge.

If I had one problem area that made me scratch my head, it was the emergency hatch.  Because of the hinge used and the amount of sealant the factory used, I could not get the Eternabond under the hinge.  I ended up going over the hinge and attaching to the hatch cover. I also had to accomodate the hatch opening up, so it made for a not so tidy job.  But it works.

Hope that helps,

-Victor

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 110944
"Any downside (beside cost) in using 4" tape on vents and other roof penetrations?"

Art

None at all.
I have seen some LD Factory roof seams where the sealant is spread so wide that the 6" wide tape would be preferred for more overlap.
I like a minimum of 1" of overlap on the edges. I have doubled up the tape in spots, similar to what Victor suggested, to span wider joints.
You might want to take a look at your roof seams before ordering.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 110954
Hi Joan, The one piece aluminum roof wraps over the rear way down to mid height of the rear window on my 26 Rear Bath.  I did find a "rear" seam to use Eternabond on.

Terry Tanner
Terry Apple
2013 RB 27 Baby Blue Bentley