Skip to main content
Topic: Gini's roof saga (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Gini's roof saga
Yahoo Message Number: 110907
Well, it's done, for better or ? It just didn't want to stop raining....the mold was growing out of the strangest places...! So I took her to Affordable RV and Rus, their head tech guy and a long time friends [since '84], and had him take a look at it.

I was going to go down to the factory and have both Tim and Vince look at it...but Vince said it'd be three plus weeks  or more, and Tim doesn't have a roofed bay to work in so the continuing rain was the deciding factor.

Rus checked out the whole roof, and said that the small areas of damage weren't that bad as far as he could tell. He applied some temp. sealant and said to go home and crank up the heat and the fans and dry it out as best I could. The weather cooperated a bit, and for four days, it was over 80 degrees in here! Took it to him last Monday...there they put it in an enclosed bay and ran heaters and fans on it as they worked.

They took everything off the roof, scrapped, sanded, and chemically prepped it...put down three coats of DYCO roof sealant-[instead of Kool coat as I am traveling, not parking and he has had trouble with really mobile RVs and Kool coat]--put down EPDM Lap sealant, installed a new fantastic fan, re-installed all the fixtures --[none needed replacing due to brittleness or cracking/dryness]....checked out the generator gas supple line--[it was fine-had already been replaced by some previous owner...whew!]...and had her back to me by Friday.

He said the whole top looked fine--no dry rot, moisture, mold--roof was firm, solid, no weak spots, all fixtures were in excellent shape including the sky light in the shower stall--he said that all in all it was in really good shape...go figure!
 Taking a shake down cruise to AZ on the 17th to care for my Mom for a few days while the family takes a Disney vacation, then off to Nagco to get the cracked window fixed.
 I was kind of hoping I might still be able to make the NW GTG.....if the timing works out...?
 I have to come back to Cal. to finish up if this darned weather ever cooperates....he wants to see it for a check up on the return leg, and recommends at least a once a yr. checkup--every 6 mo. even better.

I wish I could have afforded the more permanent solution, but there was just no way to have my "home" out of order for so long, and of course, the cost was mind boggling. All I can do is hope that this will do the trick and that I can keep her dry and protected for as long as we are traveling around.

And, saved for another post, let me tell you about other "SOB"s compared to our beloved LDs....they gave me a half price rental to stay in.....arrgghhhh!!!! I absolutely, totally, completely, HATED it....hatehatehate.....!!!

I was so glad to get my little red girl back...I felt like Dorothy, after clicking me red heels together...grin! There's no place like home.....there's no place like home....there's no place like home!!!
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "Kooch" our little red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."