Skip to main content
Topic: Dicor wheel simulator question (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Dicor wheel simulator question
Yahoo Message Number: 110885
Today I had the Valve extenders installed. Per the Tire Man, I also ordered the stud extenders and installed them as well. Well, let's see, 8 extenders, 3 of the fake nuts popped off; at least that's less than 50%. Suggestions on how to reinstall the fake nuts? I did manage to push 1 back on, but that seemed to have been just luck.
Thanks.
Ken
Former 2009 MB owner

Re: Dicor wheel simulator question
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110887
wrote:
 Today I had the Valve extenders installed. Per the Tire Man, I also ordered the stud extenders and installed them as well. Well, let's see, 8 extenders, 3 of the fake nuts popped off; at least that's less than 50%. Suggestions on how to reinstall the fake nuts? --- Are you referring to a long valve kit from "the Tireman", Chuck Carvitto?  I looked at the installation instructions for the #2-6F and #5-6F (Ford) kits, and didn't see any references to "stud extenders" or "fake nuts" mentioned in either kit's installation instructions. What am I missing?
 I'm lost on "stud extenders", but by "fake nuts", do you mean the push-on caps that cover the air-through valve caps in kit #5-6F?  If so, what is the purpose of the "fake nuts"; are they supposed to "protect" the air-through valve caps?  (NB: the German-made V2B Alligator air-through valve caps that I use on my 2003 are "self-sealing".  I bought a box of 50 a while back from Meyer's Tire Supply:  http://tinyurl.com/yj59qqd )
 I'm pretty interested in tire stuff (!), so I'd appreciate any clarification on the terminology used in your post. ;-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110900
Joan,

Are you referring to a long valve kit from "the Tireman", Chuck Carvitto?  I looked at the installation instructions for the #2-6F and #5-6F (Ford) kits, and didn't see any references to "stud extenders" or "fake nuts" mentioned in either kit's installation instructions. What am I missing?
I spoke to Chuck when I order the valve extenders #5-6F. There was no problem with that part of the installation (that I know of, anyway). The installation was done near our home in Georgia. However, the Dicor wheel covers (simulators) that cover the white wheel can, according to Chuck, potentially rotate while driving and cause problems with the valve extenders, since the valve extenders pass thru the holes in the wheel covers. The stud extenders can be envisioned as a hollow bolt that bolts on to the wheel stud (the bolt that holds the tire on). The purpose of the extender, as you can imagine, is to extend into the fake (hollow, non functioning) nut on the wheel cover and prevent it's rotating while driving. It's 3 of those fake nuts that I managed to pop off.

I'm lost on "stud extenders", but by "fake nuts", do you mean the push-on caps that cover the air-through valve caps in kit #5-6F?
More later. Our neighbor's woods are on fire. Time to drag out the hoses.

Ken

If so, what is the purpose of the "fake nuts"; are they supposed to "protect" the air-through valve caps?  (NB: the German-made V2B Alligator air-through valve caps that I use on my 2003 are "self-sealing".  I bought a box of 50 a while back from Meyer's Tire Supply:  http://tinyurl.com/yj59qqd )
Former 2009 MB owner

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110901
wrote: However, the Dicor wheel covers (simulators) that cover the white wheel can, according to Chuck, potentially rotate while driving and cause problems with the valve extenders, since the valve extenders pass thru the holes in the wheel covers. The stud extenders can be envisioned as a hollow bolt that bolts on to the wheel stud (the bolt that holds the tire on). The purpose of the extender, as you can imagine, is to extend into the fake (hollow, non functioning) nut on the wheel cover and prevent it's rotating while driving. It's 3 of those fake nuts that I managed to pop off.
--- OK! I got it; thanks for the explanation. Come to think of it, I do remember hearing about this problem of the new style/four hole wheel cover rotating and contacting (and possibly "sawing") on the long brass valves. I have the old style 8-hole KII wheel covers; they don't fit worth a tiddly -- had to have the holes enlarged by a plasma-cutter to accommodate the long valves -- but at least the wheel covers don't rotate!

Hope you got the fire put out!  8-(

Joan
2003 TK has a new home