Skip to main content
Topic: Type of gasket & lubrication used on outside storage compartment doo (Read 25 times) previous topic - next topic
Type of gasket & lubrication used on outside storage compartment doo
Yahoo Message Number: 110763
I recently replaced the gaskets on all of my outside storage compartment doors with a small self stick soft rubber type weatherstriping sold by Home Depot.
Here in Florida, we have an abundance of insects that love exploring the interiors of RV's so sealing up points of entry is a major concern.
 Don't like using insect spray regularly since in such a small closed in environment I am concerned about long time exposure to the chemicals contained in the spray. From the rear storage compartments, insects have direct access into the interior through the slide slats provided for the lounge seat belts and allowing for both sofa's to slide open into a bed, hence my reason for wanting to seal the doors properly.
 After having the new gasket material on the storage compartments for a short while, the seem to stick where it is extremely difficult to get a compartment door opened.
 Tried coating the gasket of one door with corn starch to no avail. Has anyone had a similar problem? Would using a silicone spray help the situation? There is a groove on the body around where it looked like a original factory gasket may have been installed into.
 Has anyone found a suitable gasket and a way of lubricating it (without attracting dirt) to prevent sticking doors? I've even added finger pulls to aid in opening the doors but they remain stuck tight!

Re: Type of gasket & lubrication used on outside storage compartment
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110773
"Has anyone found a suitable gasket and a way of lubricating it (without attracting dirt) to prevent sticking doors?"

Mr. Creative
 Spray some silicone on a rag and then wipe the surfaces that the new gaskets contact. It will stop the sticking for a while.
Rain will wash it off so occasional reapplication will be necessary

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: Type of gasket & lubrication used on outside storage compartment
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110803
After having the new gasket material on the storage compartments for a short while, the seem to stick where it is extremely difficult to get a compartment door opened.
Is this gasketing rubber on the contact area or foam rubber? If the latter, I would replace it with the former, or another material gasket designed for surfaces that move in use, and are rated for the exterior.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Type of gasket & lubrication used on outside storage compartment
Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110791
Thanks Larry,

Much appreciate the advice!

Ed 94' LD 26.5' MB Port Richey, FL