Skip to main content
Topic: alternator amps (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
alternator amps
Yahoo Message Number: 110670
Does anyone know the amp rating of the alternator that originally came on the 1987 22' model? Chevy 350.

Re: alternator amps
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110672
"Does anyone know the amp rating of the alternator that originally came on the 1987 22' model? Chevy 350."

G-30s, in 1987, came with either a 78, 85 or 100-amp alternator.
The alternator should have markings indicating which model it is.
It is possible to upgrade to a higher output alternator.
I would find a local auto-electric shop that repairs alternators and see what they can set you up with.
I stuffed a 150-amp alternator in our 1983 G-30 LD.
 Note- The G-30 V8s have small alternator belts and pulleys and can slip easily. Make sure to keep the belt tighten to manufacturers specs and to replace the belt every two or three years.
 These engines have a serious tendency to throw belts. When one goes, it usually will take the rest of the belts with it. BTDT Always carry a full set of replacement belts. Even if you are not able to do it yourself, a Good Samaritan or mechanic will not have to order the belts.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Re: alternator amps
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110683
"These engines have a serious tendency to throw belts. When one goes, it usually will take the rest of the belts with it. Always carry a full set of replacement belts."
 That's good advice for anyone with a Chevy 350-based Lazy Daze. I saw it happen three times in five years with mine.
 Here's another piece of advice: if a belt starts to squeal, adjust it or replace it immediately. And DON'T try to fix it by applying belt dressing--with these engines, that actually makes the problem worse in the long run. Take it from one who learned by painful experience! ;-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"