Skip to main content
Topic: Lazy Daze puts windows in unit before painting? (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Lazy Daze puts windows in unit before painting?
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110655
Probably because the process of fitting and sealing the windows would run too much of a chance of damaging the fresh paint. Preventing over-spray from ruining the interior would require masking every window opening so no labor would be saved doing it that way.

I'm sure Steve has a real good reason why it is done the way it is.
He would probably be willing to explain why if you were to ask him.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110658
When we had our Foretravel get a new full body paint they *removed *the windows to do so.
 http://www.lazydazers.com/foretravelforsale/

best, paul ___ 'Thriving not Surviving' See our websites at www. LazyDazers.com  www. Bike70th.net
www. SMARTERyellowpages.com & www. ReformUSCongress.org

Probably because the process of fitting and sealing the windows would run

too much of a chance of damaging the fresh paint. Preventing over-spray from ruining the interior would require masking every window opening so no labor would be saved doing it that way.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 110659
"Larry"  wrote: Preventing over-spray from ruining the interior would require masking every window opening so no labor would be saved doing it that way.
--- Yes, it's a lot easier to "razor scrape" the exterior surfaces of the windows than the interior of the rig! ;-)
 My 2003 TK was delivered with a significant amount of overspray, especially on the back window. I didn't notice it at the time of delivery, but it was obvious later when the light hit the window at a certain angle.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 110665
"Yes, it's a lot easier to "razor scrape" the exterior surfaces of the windows than the interior of the rig! ;-). My 2003 TK was delivered with a significant amount of over spray, especially on the back window."

Joan
 It takes just the smallest hole in the masking to let a tiny amount of paint through. Imagine the potential mess to the interior.
 Someone at LD should have found the over-spray before it was delivered to you. As you said, it's hard to spot unless the sun or light is right.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 110667
"When we had our Foretravel get a new full body paint they *removed *the windows to do so."

Paul

Any idea if they did the same when it was originally manufactured?

A repaint usually requires extensive metal repairs and preparation.
It's a much different process than the original paint job.
 During the repaint, they may have pulled the windows to replace the old sealant between the windows and the outside walls.
It would be next to impossible to sand the exterior sheet metal with the windows in place.
 BTW, your Foretravel's paint job must have cost a small fortune, being as big as it is and how fancy a paint job it received.
Looks nice....for an SOB.

Larry
2001 MB