Skip to main content
Topic: Rear bath (Read 40 times) previous topic - next topic
Re: grades
Reply #50
Yahoo Message Number: 110601
Gee, Sherry, that's one of favorite drives.
 We never tire of it or fail to appreciate its beauty. And we drive it fairly often.
 And as far as grades go, it's on;y 6%, and then only to 4,000ft plus at most only 181 ft more to San Diego.
 From what you've said your concern is going UP. Going DOWN that first grade (that is, going East from Jacumba to Ocotillo) always reminds me of CA-120 out of Yosemite East to Nevada, where CA-120 is much more dramatic than I-8 out of Jacumba.
 When Kathleen did her coast-to-coast bike ride in 1999, they rode East on I-8 out of Jacumba (there were no alternate roads for bicycles) down to below sea level Ocotillo, and Kathleen does not like heights and long grades like that, especially on a bicycle. She'll never forget THAT ONE, especially since we drive it so often in a car.
 Bottom line: If Ocotillo to Jacumba is not your cup of tea you might want to avoid CA-120 West out of Lee Vining, CA

best, paul ___ 'Thriving not Surviving' See our websites at
www. LazyDazers.com
www. Bike70th.net
www. SMARTERyellowpages.com &
www. ReformUSCongress.org

Thanks Paul,  I am sure that you are familiar with the grade that I am

speaking of and that is the one from Ocotillo to San Diego......Oh, how I hate that one.  Sherry
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #51
Yahoo Message Number: 110603
Thanks Paul, I am soooo familiar with that grade because we also lived in Jacumba and I have seen the motorhomes crawl up it so since we will most likely be traveling that grade a few times, I just wanted to know what LD would do on it? You Lady Kathleen is quite a gal and would love to meet you two. Sherry

Re: Rear bath
Reply #52
Yahoo Message Number: 110604
My guess is the factory's pressure is more along the lines of economics these days.

www. LazyDazers.com
www. Bike70th.net

The pressure they're under (and I suspect this happens at the beginning of

any new year) is to be filling the orders for eager customers (like me and a few others here) and yet still finding time to build some showroom models.

Reply #53
Yahoo Message Number: 110606
You got that right!  Like everyone else I fell in love with Kathleen at first sight - some 52 years ago now....

best, paul
 PS> Stop by some time. We'll be at Sunbeam Lake RV Resort, Space 147 - http://www.sunbeamlake.com/ - most of April and May. Call to confirm 510-386-7849 ___ 'Thriving not Surviving' See our websites at
www. LazyDazers.com
www. Bike70th.net

You Lady Kathleen is quite a gal and would love to meet you two

Reply #55
Yahoo Message Number: 110614
"I have seen the motorhomes crawl up it so since we will most likely be traveling that grade a few times..."
 So you'll crawl where necessary. What's the big deal? RVing isn't about getting from "A" to "B" as fast as possible... it's about enjoying the trip. The slower you go, the more you can enjoy the scenery! :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

RPMs was --> grades
Reply #57
Yahoo Message Number: 110616
The following statement made me think to ask this.
 Is there any mention in the V-8 or V-10 manuals about the range of RPM to maintain?

So I wonder what the RPM would be for the following? ---> "On steeper grades while towing where I have to drop to 2nd gear I go at most 35 mph to limit RPMs (even though I could go faster)."

In my Toyota Tacoma manual it says to keep the RPM between 2,000 and 3,000.  When I go up the Octillio to Jacumba grade I go up with overdrive off (auto)  at about 55 mph (empty) to keep the RPMs at 3,000.
A lot of Tacomas zoom by me and I always wonder what their RPMs are.

Reply #58
Yahoo Message Number: 110617
" The slower you go, the more you can enjoy the scenery! :-)"

"Or be rear ended? "

I was thinking the same thing, then I wonder does this really happen?  I think there are min speeds on freeways in CA (I think 45 mph) but going up a mountain with posted signs? What if you were hit while going 10 mph??  (I once went this slow with a bad engine).  Would you be at fault? (because you're too poor to own a good V-10 ha ha)

Reply #59
Yahoo Message Number: 110618
"do you have to use 1st gear? in order to get over a 6 percent grade?"
 I said that I needed to use first gear to go over 9% and 10% grades when overloaded and towing a car. On a 6% grade, if your rig is heavily loaded, or you're towing, you'll probably have to use *second* gear.
 If you're willing to spend $3,000 on a Banks engine upgrade, you may not need second gear going up a 6% grade, but you'll probably still want to use it coming down, in order to avoid losing your brakes.
 A motorhome--any motorhome, not just a Lazy Daze--is not a car. It doesn't accelerate like a car, handle like a car, or brake like a car. If you want to be a safe driver, you'll learn to deal with its unique characteristics.

Andy Baird

Re: RPMs was --> grades
Reply #60
Yahoo Message Number: 110619
Last time this question came up, I believe the answer was "keep it below 4,000 rpm." That's what I do. If it gets close to that speed, I tap the brakes to slow down.

Andy Baird

Reply #64
Yahoo Message Number: 110623
What if you were hit while going 10 mph??  (I once went this slow with a
bad engine).  Would you be at fault?

Most likely not...the person who rear ends you is usually the one cited.
 When commercial trucks go up a grade, they get over as far to the right as possible and turn on their flashers.  We do the same thing when we're going up a grade at a slower pace than the rest of the traffic.
 Anyone who is driving any kind of vehicle *should* be alert enough to the traffic around them to realize when approaching another vehicle from the rear whether or not they're going slower.  Unless there's some really unusual circumstances, there's really no reason to rear-end someone going slower.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #65
Yahoo Message Number: 110624
"Is there any mention in the V-8 or V-10 manuals about the range of RPM to maintain?'

The V-10 will spin faster than what most feel comfortable with.
The computer will allow RPMs in the mid 4000 range when climbing steep grades. Second gear (4R100 transmission) will hold up to 50-55 MPH.
The short engine stroke and overhead cams allow this high RPM usage with risk of damage.
If the engine's computer is good with high RPMS, so am I.

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #66
Yahoo Message Number: 110625
It's not my recollection I needed to drop to 2nd on a 6% grade while towing.
 But then, I'm at the age where I remember things before they happen and forget those that did happen ;o)
 Next time I get out of below sea level country around El Centro, CA and into the mountains I'll be sure and check (and write it down so I don't have to remember ;o)

www. LazyDazers.com
www. Bike70th.net

"do you have to use 1st gear? in order to get over a 6 percent grade?"

Reply #67
Yahoo Message Number: 110626
That's why I limit 2nd gear to 35 mph.  I'm not comfortable with the sound.
I know I'm not near redline.
___ 'Thriving not Surviving' See our websites at
www. LazyDazers.com
www. Bike70th.net

The V-10 will spin faster than what most feel comfortable with.

Reply #68
Yahoo Message Number: 110628
This thread was really started about 6% grade on an Interstate. There's no minimum speed up a mountain in California in that case.
 CA DMV does say "When you drive a slow-moving vehicle on a two-lane highway or road where passing is unsafe, and five or more vehicles are following you, pull to the side of the road wherever you can safely do so to let the vehicles pass."
 I've done a lot of mountain driving in the West and slow speed has rarely been a problem. Emergency flashers are used by trucks in extreme cases and so do I.
 If someone hit me in the rear while I was going 10 mph they clearly did not have control of their vehicle and was the last one that could have avoided the accident - in other words, they are at fault.

www. LazyDazers.com
www. Bike70th.net

I was thinking the same thing, then I wonder does this really happen? I

think there are min speeds on freeways in CA (I think 45 mph) but going up a mountain with posted signs? What if you were hit while going 10 mph??

Reply #69
Yahoo Message Number: 110629
Remember when going slow on mountain roads to watch for cars coming up behind you and pull off to let them pass at the first safe spot.  The best spot to do this is where you can see for a ways what is coming up behind you and preferably in a flat spot so you can safely pull out.  In some states it is the law that you cannot let a line of cars accumulate behind you if there are turnouts, but it is just common courtesy, anywhere.
Patti PS Might be able to tell that we live between two parks in the Colorado Rockies.

__

Reply #70
Yahoo Message Number: 110630
The advice to pull over when possible, and to use emergency flashers, is important. I should have mentioned that I did these things on my recent trip. I always use flashers when below 40 mph on a road with a higher speed limit.

Andy Baird

Re: Rear bath
Reply #72
Yahoo Message Number: 110646
"Wondering if it would be safer to discuss coffee makers."

...or maybe aroma therapy.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #73
Yahoo Message Number: 110648
"That's why I limit 2nd gear to 35 mph. I'm not comfortable with the sound. I know I'm not near redline."

Paul

That depends on what transmission you have.
I specified the 4R100, which is only turning 2800 RPM @35 MPH
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #74
Yahoo Message Number: 110654
No, it doesn't depend on the transmission. The "sound" I'm referring to is roughly related to the RPM I'm familiar with for my engine and transmission based on my experience driving our 2003 MB and 1997 RB, both with a 4 speed transmissions.  Perhaps a better word would have been engine "whine."
 In my case for my four speed as you note below the RPMs are 2800 at 35mph. I did not know that value until you told me below. But I did know I was not close to redline at 35 mph in 2nd with my 4 speed - which your other info below confirms.
 That I'm more conservative than driving 4000 rpm in 2nd is just how I drive.
 I also don't like to drop to 3rd at 60 mph (I usually drop to 3rd manually and 55 mph when I approach a hill steep enough that I feel I'll eventually have to go to 3rd anyway). The links below appear to be broken so I don't know the RPMs at 55 mph in 3rd in a 4R100. But I'm sure it's below redline.

www. LazyDazers.com
www. Bike70th.net

"That's why I limit 2nd gear to 35 mph. I'm not comfortable with the sound.

I know I'm not near redline."

Paul

That depends on what transmission you have.
I specified the 4R100, which is only turning 2800 RPM @35 MPH in second gear.
The 5R110 transmission (2005 and newer) is geared differently.
At 35 MPH, it will run at 4000 RPM, 1200 RPM faster than the 4R100.
 Terry has an informative set of charts on his Technoz site, showing the gear, speed and RPM range for the 4R100 and newer 5R110 transmissions.
http://tinyurl.com/ylj2cvn http://tinyurl.com/yj4srp5 Since the 2003 LDs do not have tachometers, I found the 4R100 chart to be extremely useful until the ScanGauge was installed.
 4000 RPM is safe, conservative RPM limit for the V-10. It is designed to turn even faster, if desired, the major downside being increased oil consumption.
BTW, the E450's V10's power peak occurs at 4200 RPM.