Skip to main content
Topic: Towing ability (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Towing ability
Yahoo Message Number: 110323
If this has been asked/answered and debated please give me a hint on how to search for it.
 In the opinion of the experts, what would be the minimum length of LD/engine one could use for long but infrequent trips towing something like a Jeep Cherokee (although am willing to sell it and go smaller)?  Input on best age of LD to look at is good too. (older/cheaper is good)
 I have visions of me and the dog taking jaunts for a weeks of fishing and weeks of hunting in the west.  A small LD will work but ability to haul a 4X4/kayak is needed.
 Also, are there ever any LD gatherings planned in OR/WA area?  Y'all have me pretty much sold the LD is great but I have yet to be in one.
Thanks Mike Mc Cathlamet, WA

Re: Towing ability
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110324
"In the opinion of the experts, what would be the minimum length of LD/engine one could use for long but infrequent trips towing something like a Jeep Cherokee"

Mike
 I have towed a Cherokee for several years behind our 2003 23.5' LD, equipped with the V-10, with good success. Many members of this group tow Wranglers and Cherokees.
I tried towing with our previous 1983 22' LD (350 V-8) and immediately gave it up due to the lack of power. Even a small trailer over-taxed the Chevy V-8.
Stick with a late model Ford, with a V-10 or an older Chevy-based LD, equipped with the 454 cu.in. big block. Forget about the Chevy 350 V-8

Larry
2001 MB
* Not to be confused with Larry W (3000 of my posts are actually from expert Larry W due to Yahoo transition mis-step)

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110331
"what would be the minimum length of LD/engine one could use for long but infrequent trips towing something like a Jeep Cherokee?"
 "Minimum" is the wrong word. All things being equal, the smaller LDs have more towing power than the larger ones, because they weigh less. (Of course that's only true if you don't load them up to the maximum CCC, in which case all three lengths weigh the same: 14,500 pounds for current models, 14,050 pounds for Ford-based models of the past decade or so.)
 The Cherokee is a relatively heavy car, so I agree with Larry: stick with the larger engines, preferably the Ford V-10.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110350
Mike,

...something like a Jeep Cherokee ...........
I assume that by "Cherokee" you mean a Jeep XJ with 4WD and not a "Grand Cherokee" (Jeep ZJ, WJ, or WK).  Since Jeep stopped making the "real Cherokee" in 2001 many people omit the "Grand" in "Grand Cherokee."
 Like Larry I have towed a Cherokee (XJ) for a number of years, both behind my 2005 MB LD and a previous pickup/slide-in camper.  The stock Ford V-10 in the LD does OK with towing, however, I installed a Banks Power Kit that makes it go up mountains faster. I have towed the XJ more miles than I have driven it. Tows beautifully!
 If you want to "off road" and have a vehicle for general transportation, I don't think that there is a better toad than the XJ. It may weigh a little more than the Suzuki's, Tracker's, etc., but makes up for it in other ways.

Doug

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 110355
"Banks," eh?  How much for a 1997 V-10? And how much improvement would there be for our 1997 RB towing a 2005 Element?  What is involved in the installation?

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - "All of us have cancer cells in our bodies. But not all of us will develop cancer." from ANTI CANCER - A NEW WAY OF LIFE, by David Servan-Schreiber, MD, PhD - See our website at www. LazyDazers.com

Like Larry I have towed a Cherokee (XJ) for a number of years, both behind my 2005 MB LD and a previous pickup/slide-in camper. The stock Ford V-10 in the LD does OK with towing, however, I installed a Banks Power Kit that makes it go up mountains faster. I have towed the XJ more miles than I have driven it. Tows beautifully!
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 110368
Hi Paul,
 I've had my Banks kit about 4 years and have no idea of the current prices.  If you contact Banks they will probably give you a quote over the phone; at least the did for me when I bought mine:

Gale Banks Engineering Azusa, CA 800-601-8042 http://www.bankspower.com

They also have a network of dealers that sell and install.
 I don't know how you define "improvement."  I have never done any specific measurements. I was disappointed when I drove my rig home from Banks as I didn't notice any difference.  My first real "test bed" was east-bound I-80 from Salt Lake to Park City, UT, which I have traveled many times.  The difference was obvious.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 110389
I've come to view speed and the power that brings it to be less important than I once thought.
 Ditto to that!  I put 200,000 miles on a 78 VW Bus,  125,000 miles on SOB 23' Class C and now have an '02MB.  55 is fine and on a good day, 11MPG.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 110392
Paul Smith  wrote:
 "Banks," eh?  How much for a 1997 V-10? And how much improvement would there be for our 1997 RB towing a 2005 Element?  What is involved in the installation? --- Paul, Terry Tanner has an article on the Techsnoz website titled "Power.pdf"; it details a Banks system installation that Terry did (the article is dated 2005) on his 2001. This is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/yg5gqf6
 You can get current information on the Banks systems (no prices listed)at the website: www.bankspower.com  You can call or email them for details and installation location information.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 110396
 Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 9:27 AM
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: [LD] Re: Towing ability

Paul Smith  wrote:
 "Banks," eh? How much for a 1997 V-10? And how much improvement would there be for our 1997 RB towing a 2005 Element? What is involved in the installation? --- Paul, Terry Tanner has an article on the Techsnoz website titled "Power.pdf"; it details a Banks system installation that Terry did (the article is dated 2005) on his 2001. This is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/yg5gqf6

When I went down to the Banks campus a couple of years ago, the price for the full system on my '05 was just over $3K as I recall. Took them most of the day. We camped overnight on the street next to their shop. Then waited in their waiting room and wandered around while they were doing the work.

bumper

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer