Skip to main content
Topic: Maintenance in San Diego (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
Maintenance in San Diego
Yahoo Message Number: 110289
Rollins wrote "Do you have any suggestions as to where one can  get our Ford Engine and 450 chassis maintenance done at a reasonable cost in  the San Diego area? Thanks Sorry I'm unable to help out  there. I've got a 350 chassis, and so far I have done my own maintenance. I  still have less than 30k miles. A lot depends on what type of maintenance is  wanted.
There are a lot of us LD owners in San Diego, maybe someone  else can answer that question. Ron in rainy San  Diego.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
RonB (Bostick) living in San Diego
Original owner of "Bluebelle" a '99 TKB

Re: Maintenance in San Diego
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110327
Hi Ron, Thanks for the recommendation. My wife uses Bob Bowen for maintenance on her Toyota Highlander.  We pass his business on a daily basis and we have never seen an RV

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110352
Rollins,

Someone stated that Miramar Ford Truck Sales may be the ticket.
I have always taken my 2005 MB LD to Heller Ford in Escondido for service, however, I thought they were expensive.
 About 3 years ago I spent an afternoon calling the service departments of every Ford dealer in San Diego County (except the 1 closest to the Mexican border) and asking about service for my vehicle.  If they could not do it I asked for recommendations.  The net of this excercise is:

1.  Most places would not service the E-450 chassis at all.

2.  A couple places would service the E-450 chassis if the vehicle was not over twenty (?) feet long but would not do motorhomes.

3.  A couple of places recommended the Ford Commercial Truck place on Miramar Road.

4.  The Ford Commercial Truck place on Miramar Road would only do mid-range and larger Ford trucks;  no motorhomes.

5.  A couple places recommended Heller Ford in Escondido.
   As a result of this exercise, I am still taking the LD to Heller.  It is the only place in San Diego where I have had service work done.  My LD is 5 years old and has gone 62K miles. I take it in for service (LOF, etc.) about every 6 months.  I get the transmission serviced at least once each year as I tow all the time.  Heller has done a major brake overhaul for me after I "cooked" things a bit.
   I don't mean to promote Heller here, by any means, but my thoughts and recommendations on them are as follows:  
1.  I have been happy with the service provided even though I think that it is expensive. (However, I don't have any other motorhome service experience for comparison.)  
2.  They have always checked for "recalls" and other service bulletins that applicable when I have the rig there.

3.  They have always followed up after the service to see whether I was satisfied.  Generally with a phone call and sometimes with a business reply "survey" card.

4.  They have limited facilities for handling motorhomes. (Once they had a transmission replacement job on their single lift and it wasn't going well.  It tied work on motorhomes for several days.)  
5.  Call ahead and make an appointment, even for a simple LOF.  Plan to leave your rig there for at least a day.

6.  During the summer call for the appointment far ahead.  I have had to wait a couple of weeks for an appointment.

7.  Get to know a specific service writer.  Call him for the appointment and make sure he receives your vehicle when you take it in.

I find it interesting the Heller seems to be the "only Ford game" in town.  I go to Traverse City, MI in the summer where the Ford dealer has an "Express LOF Service" facility (i.e. like a Jiffy Lube) that is large enough for my LD.  He also has serveral indoor bays that will accept motorhomes.

Doug

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 110375
Hi Doug, Your post is excellent. I really appreciate your attention to details. I understand there are two other places

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 110388
Rollins,
 I appreciate knowing of some other Ford places to get service, even if they are not local.
 I tow a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)and have been doing so for about 7 years and 70K miles; part of the time behind the pickup truck/slide

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 110407
A fast check in the Database (on list located on the left) shows several recommended shops in the area. We have had excellent service from Sako's Automotive 512 W. Route 66 (previously Alosta) 626.914.3309 Fax 626.914.5709.

Anne Johnson

Lovely (Rainy and a Chilly 64°) La Verne, CA

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 110413
When we got our new 2003 MB I thought Ford listed an 800 number to find Ford service shops for E-450s

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - "All of us have cancer cells in our bodies. But not all of us will develop cancer." from ANTI CANCER - A NEW WAY OF LIFE, by David Servan-Schreiber, MD, PhD - See our website at www. LazyDazers.com

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 110415
Paul Smith  wrote:
 When we got our new 2003 MB I thought Ford listed an 800 number to find Ford service shops for E-450s --- They do; Ford's "Motorhome Customer Assistance Center" number is 1-800-444-3311.
 I've called the customer service number a couple of times; the rep was pleasant, professional, and offered information on "local" service locations that handled Ford-chassis motorhomes.  I *do* suggest using the Ford-provided service location list as a guide, not as gospel, and checking out the list options before committing to service; shop quality and service can change, and Ford's database might not reflect the current status.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home