Skip to main content
Topic: responding to electrolysis posts (Read 12 times) previous topic - next topic
responding to electrolysis posts
Yahoo Message Number: 110235
Thanks all...greatly appreciate input and thoughts.
 First, my rig is a 1998 IBed....bought it second hand [two previous owners] in S. Carolina almost four years ago...I hadn't had it long when Kate and Terry came by while taking the driving course. That's when we both smelled the mustiness in the upper overhead driver's side compartment. We both prodded, pushed, etc. and didn't FEEL anything...but...
 The FYI was an article I pulled up off the net...will go back and see what the source is. I read your link and see what you meant....not sure which is going on--galvanic or electrolysis---both seem possible.
 To Huge and Yuli...what you describe is nearly identical to my roof.
I miss-spelled cab--typed cap--on this rig the roof is one sheet of aluminum as far as I know...?? Vince said they'd have to remove it from the front cab window all the way to the back, and that it is a real bear to do...his words, not mine.

Steve H., what did you do to repair yours? And did you mean on the side/rear panels?

Don't know what part you are referring to as plastic...? At any rate, the areas are spread about on the roof, with the majority over the driver side roof/sheet metal, some back towards the first vent.
There are also some spots on the side wall cab panel, again, on the driver's side.

He didn't see anything from the fantastic fan back. Doesn't mean there isn't tho. And no, I haven't gone up there to look for myself...I totally trust this man, he's an old friend as well as the "Mobile Repairman"...grin...so if he says it's so, I don't feel the need to go up there and make myself ill looking at the evidence.

What I can HOPE for, is that there is some way to stop the electrolysis/galvanic action, and then just do some sort of seal with another material...rubber, elastomer, koolcoate, ??, that would most certainly be the most economical.

But for me at least, I don't want there to be continuing deterioration...I'm sort of anal about doing the right fix. But, that said, this IS a 1998....maybe just 'making do' would serve just fine. Sigh.

The Progressive Ins. adjuster is coming tomorrow to look it over.
Let's see what he says, then it's off to LD Factory and Vince, to get his take on what I can and can't reasonably do. I can hope for a less drastic solution!
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire "Kooch" our little red home on wheels "Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gini Free and Junah, canine xtrodinaire
"CHERRYOTTE" our little red home on wheels
"Growing old is mandatory. Growing wise is optional."