Skip to main content
Topic: Ultra compact folding electric bike (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic
Ultra compact folding electric bike
Yahoo Message Number: 110161
For you LDers who would like an electric bike, but don't have a good spot to carry it, here is the Yike Bike…an ultra-compact fold-up electric bike, from NZ:

http://www.yikebike.com/site/gallery/video/yikebike-discovery-channel>
 Don't be put off by the under-seat handlebar arrangement.  I have under-seat steering on my recumbent trike, and it's a very natural, comfortable steering method.
 I don't know when or if these will be available here, or what they'll cost, but the concept, for RVers, is appealing.

Sharon N.
Crossville, TN

Re: Ultra compact folding electric bike
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110261
FIVE THOU for a bike? You could get a great toad for that and have money left over.

__ From: ss.twilight ss.twilight@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Thu, February 18, 2010 8:37:30 PM
 Subject: [LD] Re: Ultra compact folding electric bike

I went in and watched a couple of the news programs about the Yike bike. It will cost $5,000.00 and you can order one around the middle of this year.

They look cool.

Sherry

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110262

I went in and watched a couple of the news programs about the Yike bike. It will cost $5,000.00 and you can order one around the middle of this year.
I like the concept, but I won't be running out to buy one at that price! I think they're trying to compete with Segways.

Sharon N.
Crossville, TN

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 110279
Sharon,

Those are cool! Very clever.
 If one is content to pedal I recommend the Brompton, the world's smallest bike when folded. We carry two
Terry
2003 26.5'RB
Gardnerville, NV

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 110281
 Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2010 8:23 AM
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: [LD] Re: Ultra compact folding electric bike

Sharon,

Those are cool! Very clever.
 If one is content to pedal I recommend the Brompton, the world's smallest bike when folded. We carry two in the storage compartment to the rear of the driver's seat in our Rear Bath. Very high quality.

http://www.foldabikes.com/

Terry 2003 26.5'RB Gardnerville, NV

I'm with Terry on this.
 Most people in the USA could use a bit more exercise . . . so why pay for an electric bike unless one is physically incapable of peddling? Besides the Brompton, there are a number of other really good choices if you are willing to spend a little more for quality - -figure a good folder will be >$1000. Check out http://www.bikefriday.com/ for an American made folder (I have one of their very early ones, serial #107 from 1993!). There are a number of good folders out there, some approach the ride quality of a regular road bike. Some are engineered with ease of folding and small folded size as the major design goal, while others have ride quality and performance as the primary objective. So read the reviews on line before deciding.

bumper

Yonder, Minden NV

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 110284
YikeBike is a really slick piece of engineering. That said, it has three fatal defects from my point of view.

1. $5,000 price.

2. 5 mile range.

And worst of all...

3. No human-powered option.

When that little battery runs out of juice after five miles, you can't pedal your Yikebike the way you would with any other electric bike, because there are no pedals. Unless you want to straddle it like a hobbyhorse and walk/ride it, which will look pretty silly, your only option is to fold it up and carry it the rest of the way. And if you do that, the 22-pound weight is going to get tiresome really quickly.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 110287
Thanks to Terry and bumper for the suggestions on the folding bikes. They look like great bikes, but, while I am capable of physically peddling a bike, I'm not physically capable of riding "upright" bikes, peddled or powered. (Neck, back and right leg problems.)  For most people, the folding bikes you mentioned would probably work just fine.  My current recumbent trike works for me, but doesn't fold.  It fit beautifully in the back of the Honda Odyssey we had, but sold the Odyssey to buy our CR-V toad.  So, the bike stayed home.  If I were to get back into RVing, I might consider one of these, but it's almost as expensive as the Yike!

http://www.pbwbikes.com/product_info.php/cPath/3/products_id/33>

Sharon N.
Crossville, TN