Skip to main content
Topic: Running Battery Cable Under Motorhome (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Running Battery Cable Under Motorhome
Yahoo Message Number: 110135
I am upgrading to a larger 90 amp IOTA battery charger and I need to run two 2 AWG battery cables from the converter, which is on the curbside, to the batteries, which are under the rear facing dinette on the streetside. I have a RB.
 The new charger will fit in the same space as the old charger. I do not want to put the charger under the dinette as I need the space. I decided against a charger/inverter because I don't want to give up the space and don't want to spend the money.

Has anyone ever done this and if so, what would you suggest?
 Should use some form of conduit?  Do I need to worry about heat from the exhaust system?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

Re: Running Battery Cable Under Motorhome
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110139
I am upgrading to a larger 90 amp IOTA battery charger and I need to run two 2 AWG battery cables from the converter, which is on the curbside, to the batteries, which are under the rear facing dinette on the streetside. I have a RB.
I did this when we had one coach battery under the hood, and I installed a second on the back bumper, using 0-gauge wire. Most of the distance I ran only a single cable (positive), supporting it with rubber-cushioned metal cable clamps secured with sheet-metal screws into the chassis frame rails. The ground leads only extended to a convenient attachment point to the main frame rail on that side, front and rear, where the metal was scraped bare and the cable connectors bolted to the frame (I drilled and tapped holes). I then painted over the connections. This eliminated a lot of extra expensive cable, but the frame rail must be a continuous section to make a reliable conductor.
 Important - have a sufficient capacity fuse/circuit breaker at least at the battery end, and at the charger end too if not internally accommodated.

Steve
2004 FL
2013 Honda Fit

Running Battery Cable Under Motorhome
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110147
Hi ?

It should be fairly easy to run that wire.  The hardest part will be getting from the rear-facing dinette seat to the front facing seat.  I think you should be able to run it along the floor under that little piece of slanted carpeting along the base of the wheel-well.  From under the forward-facing dinette seat, you can drill a hole into the space under the drawers in the wardrobe.  There's a cable channel under the floor from the forward edge of the wardrobe over to the space where the converter/charger is located.  Be sure to thoroughly seal any holes you may have to drill into the battery box.  Keeping the cable inside eliminates the need to drill any holes between interior and exterior, and thus no need to worry about heat from the exhaust system.

Ted H.

NE-13,  05' RB

@ Destin Army Rec Center, FL

Should I use some form of conduit? Do I need to worry about heat from the exhaust system?

Any suggestions are welcome.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]