Skip to main content
Topic: replacing the fuel filter (Read 18 times) previous topic - next topic
replacing the fuel filter
Yahoo Message Number: 110034
We are trying to replace the fuel filter on our LD, 2000 Ford 450 but can't figure out how to get it off.  We found it, just can't seem to disconnect it.  Any help is appreciated.

Mark Matthews Austin

Re: replacing the fuel filter
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 110037
wrote:
 We are trying to replace the fuel filter on our LD, 2000 Ford 450 but can't figure out how to get it off.  We found it, just can't seem to disconnect it.
--- This file on the Techsnoz message board will explain how to remove (you need a special tool) and replace the fuel filter; the link is:

http://tinyurl.com/yl4ejm8

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 110038
Mark,
 See my message # 50953.  The tool you need is NAPA # 3321. Also be careful of the filter part number.  There seems to be some confusion on some of the charts that give you the replacement numbers.  The filter we needed on our 2000 is NAPA # 3595.

Hope this helps,

Rich Gort - 2000 MB - Birch Bay, WA
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 110039
Thank you Rich, that was what we needed.  We got it off and switched out but it still won't start. Turns over but won't catch.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 110042
Are you sure it's not your fuel PUMP and not filter? Be well. Dale.

__ From: markrach2 markrach2@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Sat, February 13, 2010 2:28:42 PM
 Subject: [LD] Re: replacing the fuel filter

Thank you Rich, that was what we needed. We got it off and switched out but it still won't start. Turns over but won't catch.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 110046
Mark,
 Unfortunately, the fuel pump is inside the gas tank!  The gas tank has to be dropped to get to it.  Big bucks! Sure hope it's something else.

Alex Rutchka, SE #4 '05 MB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 110050
thanks for the info. I was afraid of that.
Mark
 Your symptoms are identical to what mine were last summer. Had driven several miles, pulled into an RV park... next morning the engine would crank but not fire.
 Had it towed and the service facility had the diagnosis within 15 minutes. Took two days to get a pump but once they had it installed, everything was fine and I'm off down the road.
 Pump and strainer cost $194, labor cost $380 + tax so I was out the door for $591 bucks. And that was at a very small shop in a very remote area. Odometer read 41,796 and tech said that was typical for a pump replacement.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 110051
Steve you just saved me a lot of time I think.  I bet you are right. We unhooked the fuel line and the pump is not working.  Thank you Steve.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 110066
If you run out of ideas check out the electrical system.  I had a '93 MB and after many intermittent problems and many mechanics switched out fuel filters, and fuel pump.   I discovered accidentally that shaking one of the fuses that controls the fuel pump temporarily solved the problem.  Then the wiring into the fuse box was repaired, and that solved the problem.  Good luck.  Doug

__ From: markrach2 markrach2@...>
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Sat, February 13, 2010 2:28:42 PM
 Subject: [LD] Re: replacing the fuel filter

Thank you Rich, that was what we needed.  We got it off and switched out but it still won't start. Turns over but won't catch.