Skip to main content
Topic: Travel Question: Trip to Midwest from Seattle area (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic
Travel Question: Trip to Midwest from Seattle area
Yahoo Message Number: 109805
I have a couple questions for those who have travelled much more in their motorhomes than I - I hope you can give me some advice.
 In a couple months, I will be heading to Iowa (3 week trip to and from).
This is my first extended roadtrip (what fun!) -

I would like to know which is an easier drive?
 I-90 thru Idaho & Montana mountain ranges or taking heading thru Oregon and Utah

I've been thru to Missoula before, but it's been many years and in a little car.  Any tips on driving either route would be appreciated.

Cheers, and thank you -

Helen (yes: the sob has new brakes all around, new banks system, and new, larger tranny cooler and larger diameter hoses).

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Travel Question: Trip to Midwest from Seattle area
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 109808
I would like to know which is an easier drive?
 I-90 thru Idaho & Montana mountain ranges or taking heading thru Oregon and Utah

Either way, you'll go through mountain ranges...there's no way to avoid going over the Rocky Mountains unless you drop down all the way to I-10.

Personally, I'd take which ever one brought me closest to my final destination.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 109810
"I would like to know which is an easier drive?"

Helen
Helen
 While I can't say, off the top of my head, which is the "easier" drive, I would say this...
 If it were my personal choice I'd go by way of Salt Lake (UT) and Cheyenne (WY) if only for the chance to stop off at the Cabela's home store in Sidney, Nebraska (just east of Cheyenne). They even have their own RV park on site.
 Secondly, I would not miss the opportunity to have a good steak dinner in Omaha, the beef center of the universe.
 And finally, I would pay a visit to the Amana Colonies in Iowa to learn about the local culture (think Amana appliances) and eat in the good German restaurant there.

You can see that I travel on my stomach!

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 109816
Thank you, John & Linda!

Pretty will make it a much nicer drive.  :-)
 Is either route steeper than the other?   That is my biggest concern.   I've not driven the m/h down the backside on 90 (Idaho/Montana); but have gone S. from 90 to Arlington, OR, and it didn't seem bad.

How about the mountain area in Utah?

Thanks for the insights!

Helen

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 109818
Helen,
 Having made the trip between Seattle and Chicago more times than I care to count, we have gone many different ways to put some variety into the trip.
(US 2, I-94, US-12, US-20, I-90, I-84/I-80 for example) If you want to stick to the interstates, I prefer I-90 over I-84/I-80.  Nicer scenery and for the most part road seems to be in better shape.  You can head south to I-80 on I-25 at Buffalo, WY or I-29 at Sioux Falls, SD.  How about going one way there and the other back.

Rich Gort 2000 MB - Birch Bay, WA
Former 2000 MB- Now Bullet Crossfire 1800RB trailer pulled by a Chevy 2500HD

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 109820
Hi Rich,
 Great idea on going one way and back another....thanks for the road info, too!

Helen

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 109847
Helen:
 Having made the South Dakota/Nebraska/Iowa portions of this route several times

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 109850
Thank you!    Your description is making me wish I had an extra week!

Helen