Skip to main content
Topic: 2010 changes (Read 48 times) previous topic - next topic
2010 changes
Yahoo Message Number: 109756
I spent this morning with Steve looking at a completed 2010 (presumably the showroom model) and then checking progress on ours.
 Many of the changes are subtle but decided improvements adding up to a more elegant design.

Outside:
1) The first thing you notice is the cab-over. The lines are more aerodynamic and gone are the fake black windows. But he's accomplished this in such a way that it doesn't look as if "something's missing." It looks perfect. And the lines of the nose cone are more modern. I know... words are subjective, and I'm sorry that I didn't take pictures.

2) At the rear end, the tail lights are now LEDs. Hooray! And they're designed differently too. Much nicer.

3) Wheel covers have been re-designed.

4) On top is a new lower-profile AC... and with a more efficient Heat PUMP... not just a heat strip.

5) Increased size of Propane tank on the 24s... making them equal with the 27s.

Inside:
6) Different water pump. It's the new model that some of you have switched to. When Todd first told me about this several months ago, he made me promise not to advertise it yet, so I said nothing. But now it's on the showroom floor, so I guess it's OK to spill the beans.

7) As you already know, the batteries are now AGMs... stored in the same *ventilated* battery compartment with the now-needless slide tray removed.

8) Cooks, you are going to love this: *Bigger* counter space at the sink. And the cutting board, rather than hinging down, now slides out so you can use as much as you need of it.

9) Rearranged the furniture in the 24 Front Dinette: sofa and dinette have switched sides. This accomplished several things too small and detailed to go into. Suffice it to say, it's a good change.

10) And somehow, there is more storage space both inside and out.

Those are the main things that I can remember.
 On ours, we had ordered the FD in silver/gray in the Classic design.
But do you know what those sneaky devils did? On the showroom floor, they have a silver/gray Classic 2009 model sitting right next to the new streamlined 2010 Red/Burgundy in the Modern design... which takes your breath away. You look from one to the other and back again and back again and... you know what? I never realized how... well, I won't get into it. But as soon as we got home, I zipped off an email to Steve with another requested change. Guess!
 This will be our third Lazy Daze over the years. First was a 27 RB. Then a 27 MB. And now a 24 FD. I'm totally convinced this is going to be the best one yet. I can hard-ly wait!

David

Re: 2010 changes
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 109757
"David Walker"  wrote:
 "I spent this morning with Steve looking at a completed 2010 (presumably the showroom model) and then checking progress on ours.

Outside:
1) The first thing you notice is the cab-over. The lines are more aerodynamic and gone are the fake black windows."    The "This is not a bread truck!" painted rectangles/faux windows ARE GONE? ? ? ?   An LD version of a paradigm shift?

"I'm sorry that I didn't take pictures."

So am I!  ;-)    "2) At the rear end, the tail lights are now LEDs. Hooray! And they're designed differently too. Much nicer."

Are the LEDs Peterson's?  How BRIGHT are the LEDs?

"3) Wheel covers have been re-designed."    Can you elaborate on the "re-design"?  Bigger holes?  Better fit?  (They can't be worse than the KIIs!).
   "On top is a new lower-profile AC... and with a more efficient Heat PUMP... not just a heat strip."

Hmmm....too many questions on that to ask here!  ;-)    "5) Increased size of Propane tank on the 24s... making them equal with the 27s."    TA DAAA! At last! Now, if LD would just work on fitting a largeblack tank on the TK.....

"Inside:
6) Different water pump. It's the new model that some of you have switched to."

The Whisper King in my 2003 still works fine, and I hope the new one proves to be as reliable.
 "As you already know, the batteries are now AGMs... stored in the same *ventilated* battery compartment with the now-needless slide tray removed."

Lifelines?  SOB?  Charger still the HPV-22B?

"8) Cooks, you are going to love this: *Bigger* counter space at the sink. And the cutting board, rather than hinging down, now slides out so you can use as much as you need of it."
 More counter space in all models?  Very good, but having dealt with sliding "breadboards" for many years (and cleaning the the board and whatever crumbs and "gubbins" get dumped into the drawer below!) I can't see how this change will be a positive one. I'll have to see it.
 "9) Rearranged the furniture in the 24 Front Dinette: sofa and dinette have switched sides."

Any other floor plan modifications on other models?

"10) And somehow, there is more storage space both inside and out."

More/larger cupboards inside?  Larger exterior compartments?
 Thanks for the report, David; maybe someone will make a factory visit and post photos of the changes?  :-)

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 109758
What a wonderful bonanza of changes! And almost all of them were requested right here.  Who says Steve doesn't listen? :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 109763
 Sent: Saturday, February 06, 2010 6:40 PM
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Subject: [LD] Re: 2010 changes

What a wonderful bonanza of changes! And almost all of them were requested right here. Who says Steve doesn't listen? :-)

Andy,
 I would never say that. Steve does listen, albeit slooooowly (grin).

bumper

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 109764
Quote from: bumperm"

Steve does listen, albeit slooooowly (grin).
 I've always had the impression that it was Ed who was the one opposed to "fancy innovations," and, out of respect, Steve honored his father's wishes. As you all know, Ed is now out of the picture (although he's still in this world), so Steve is released to pursue a different vision... while maintaining his dad's model of quality construction.

I think we're all grateful for both of them.

David

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 109770
Elizabeth & I are VERY happy about the changes described by David.
When we were there in November ordering our 27' RB, we had asked Todd if there was anyway possible to get the heat pump. We had one in our '04 Born Free and was always pleased with it's heating ability. Todd couldn't say at the time, but he did say he thought we would be pleased when we come to pick up our coach in late March, '10. I also agree with the addition of the AGM batteries coupled with the two solar panels as most of our camping is without hookups.
The addition of LED tail lights are the way to go. While attending the Florida RV Super Show in Tampa last month I spent most of my time in the two large vender show areas. Because we do so much dry camping and are always aware of power consumption, I was pleased to see two venders selling replacement LED interior lighting. You just remove the incandescent (and florescent) bulbs and replace them with bright LED inserts. They advertise a 90% reduction of lighting power consumption.
For your information the venders are:

http://www.eclairagevr.com/Accueil_fichiers/english/menu%20anglais.htm>

http://www.starlightsinc.com/>

Once we return to Florida from picking up our new coach, I will be making more additions, some of which I saw on Ted's "Toad Hall" web site:
http://www.wxtoad.com/index.asp?page=mainframe.htm> I was glad to see his addition of the "Surge Guard" RV power protection.
(http://www.surgeguard.com/34520.html>) The units protect coach AC appliances & electronics from over/under voltage and surges. Ted did it the right way where shore AND generator power is monitored. You can get an "In line" model, but that only covers shore power and it is subject to theft being used at the outside power receptacle. Surge Guard is available at Camping World and other RV stores. At one time Surge Guard also made a protector with the added feature of "Ground Fault" protection. I had that on our '98 Beaver, but it tripped almost any time AC was used. Surge Guard.
They took it back and I don't think it is available anymore.
A very convenient addition I have ready for installing is the Camco "Quickie Flush" for the black holding tank. It allows you hook a hose to the connector on the side of the coach by the drain and flush ALL the solids from the black during the dump procedure. This eliminates the need to drag a hose inside the bathroom for this purpose.
I also spoke with the manager of the "Big Foot Levelers" company at the RV show and he was willing to extend the 'Show Discount' until May. They can do the installation at their Lakeland, FL facility. I liked their new "EZE" model with one hydraulic pump unit instead of four. Saves weight  & $$$.
We already have the "Max-Air" vent covers for all the 14 X 14" openings. They are great for rainy days.  They also have vertical window vents that allow the side windows to be partially open during rain. They work well.
While visiting with the SE Lazydazers at their Oct.'09 GTG in Georgia, they showed me the SMI 'Toad' braking unit. I was impressed.
Never used any systems before, but since so many states require them, it probably is a good idea for our CRV.  Spoke with the SMI rep at the RV show who showed me their newest unit, the "Stay-In-Play Duo." It is the simplest system (and easiest to install) I have seen yet. The only thing that goes inside the car is the miniature (about the size of a large fountain pen) actuator that attaches to the brake pedal arm  and the firewall! The rest is in the engine compartment.
By the way, David, when you go to pick up your new coach, let me know how our RB is doing. Photos would be great if you have a camera.
Cheers, MIKE COACHMAN

2010 RB "Monty"  & currently: 2021 RB "Villa Verde"
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Fleetwood Jamboree 23'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 109772
wrote:
 I was glad to see his addition of the "Surge Guard" RV power protection (http://www.surgeguard.com/34520.html>) The units protect coach AC appliances & electronics from over/under  voltage and surges. Ted did it the right way where shore AND generator  power is monitored. You can get an "In line" model, but that only covers shore power and it is subject to theft being used at the outside power receptacle. Surge Guard is available at Camping World and other RV stores.
--- You might want to look at the EMS systems from Progressive Industries:
 http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_hw30c.htm

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_pt30c.htm

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 109774
On Feb 6, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Andy wrote:

What a wonderful bonanza of changes! And almost all of them were requested right here. Who says Steve doesn't listen? :-)
Yes, many were my want list. Now I will have to expand my want list.
 If they start using Eternabond, I guess I will have to order a new one.

Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 109775
On Feb 7, 2010, at 7:34 AM, MIKE COACHMAN31 wrote:

A very convenient addition I have ready for installing is the Camco "Quickie Flush" for the black holding tank. It allows you hook a hose to the connector on the side of the coach by the drain and flush ALL the solids from the black during the dump procedure. This eliminates the need to drag a hose inside the bathroom for this purpose.
Hi Mike!  Congratulations to you and Elizabeth.  You will *love* your rear bath.  I wouldn't have any other model.

Just a word of caution though on the Quickie Flush gadget. I installed one on my RB, but its trouble-free effectiveness lasted about two years at best.  The spray holes are tiny and any little thing can get caught in them, solidify and clog them even if you don't put TP in the tank.  And since the spray head is inside your tank, there's nothing you can do about it when it clogs.  Just losing one or two of those spray holes, and the "spray" water just dribbles into your tank.

I have since replaced the Quickie Flush with a Flush King "reverse flush valve"  and would strongly recommend you revisit CW to exchange systems.  (You may need to buy an adapter so the hose connection fits the diameter of the hose LD supplies.)

http://tinyurl.com/ygxkb3m

Have fun plotting and planning.

Lorna
 http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com/
2003 RB

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 109776
Lorna, I used to have the flush King, but because of the turn in the drain pipe it won't spray directly into the bottom of the tank where buildup occurs. I have used the Camco unit (fixed sprayer, not the rotating style) on my last four motorhomes. I was familiar with the hole plugging problem and solved it by drilling out the spray holes slightly larger and mount the nozzle lower on the tank instead of at the near top. This gives the spray more of a chance of sweeping the tank bottom where it is most needed. After making these modifications, I have had no other problems with the spray head or solids build up in the tank. What is nice about the LD rear bath black tank is that it is long and narrow. Placing the sprayer at the opposite end of the drain end will further assist in the sprayer function.
Thank you for reply and at least there is another method for tank flushing if needed.
Mike

2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 109777
Joan, Thank you for the the information. Sounds like a more sophisticated unit. I like the idea of the remote display. and the additional protection parameters.
Mike

2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 109778
On Feb 7, 2010, at 11:03 AM, MIKE COACHMAN31 wrote:

Lorna, I used to have the flush King, but because of the turn in the drain pipe it won't spray directly into the bottom of the tank where buildup occurs.
~~~~~~~~~ Mike, I'm not sure if we're talking about the same model Flush King.
The one I'm referring to doesn't spray.  You hook up the hose, close the flushing mechanism, back-fill the tank, then open the valve to release a tankful of fresh water.  Repeat until water runs clear.

However, it sounds like you certainly have a handle on flushing strategies.  Good luck!

Lorna
 http://uppity-woman.blogspot.com/
2003 RB

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 109779
Joan, Thank you for the the information. Sounds like a more sophisticated unit. I like the idea of the remote display. and the additional protection parameters.
Mike

Mike
 Be aware, that if you choose the Progressive unit, and if you select the 136 second delay (depending on what your A/C requires) you WILL experience that 2½ minute delay every time power is applied, be it by plugging into the power tower when hooking up or by a temperary loss of line voltage. That caught me by surprise the 1st time it happened. I couldn't figure out why my fridge and microwave did not power up by the time I walked around the rig. I'ts surprising how long 136 seconds can be. But if you have the same A/C that I have, with no built in delay, it's an important function to have.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 109780

On Feb 6, 2010, at 6:40 PM, Andy wrote:
 Yes, many were my want list. Now I will have to expand my want list.
 If they start using Eternabond, I guess I will have to order a new one.

Don,
Are you talking about Eternabond for sealing the roof seems and other cut outs up top?

What does Lazy Daze currently use?
 I did notice that while at Lazy Daze looking over the floor models; I climbed the ladder and took a look at the roof, all the seals seemed a bit "sloppy" to me. My first thought was that it will be allot of work removing all that when it comes time to reseal. When I resealed my Bluebird a few years ago there was not that much old product to remove, I used masking tape to make nice straight lines and the finished job looked clean…no slop!
 Is the Eternabond a price issue with Lazy dazes or is there some other reasoned they are not using it?

Robert Britton

Hollister, California

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 109783
On Feb 7, 2010, at 1:53 PM, Robert Britton wrote:

Are you talking about Eternabond for sealing the roof seems and other cut outs up top? Yes What does Lazy Daze currently use?
I do not recall the product name. It lasts for over five years. Some people think LD should start with Eternabond.

I did notice that while at Lazy Daze looking over the floor models; I climbed the ladder and took a look at the roof, all the seals seemed a bit "sloppy" to me. My first thought was that it will be allot of work removing all that when it comes time to reseal. When I resealed my Bluebird a few years ago there was not that much old product to remove, I used masking tape to make nice straight lines and the finished job looked clean'no slop!
It does look a but sloppy, but it does the job. There is NO need to remove it when covering with Eternabond. There are EXTENSIVE discussions of Eternabond in the archives.

Is the Eternabond a price issue with Lazy dazes or is there some other reasoned they are not using it?
I have no idea.

I imagine more informed owners will be helpful to you.

Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: tank rinsers
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 109784
"Just a word of caution though on the Quickie Flush gadget. I installed one on my RB, but its trouble-free effectiveness lasted about two years at best. The spray holes are tiny and any little thing can get caught in them, solidify and clog them..."
 I had a similar experience with a "Tornado" in-tank rinser that I installed a couple of years ago. At first it was moderately effective, but after a year or so it apparently clogged, and the spinning nozzle no longer spun. One of these days I'll remove it, take off the nozzle, and just let the water blast straight through a large hole in the fitting. Sometimes a designer can get too clever, and i think this was one of those cases.
 Meanwhile, my trusty HydroFlush external coupling does a fairly good job, despite having to shoot around a corner on my midbath.
 If you do install a tank rinser, Mike's suggestions are good ones: mount the nozzle at the opposite end of the tank from the outlet (which I did)... and mount it low, so that it will sweep the tank's bottom (which I didn't).

Andy Baird

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 109785
"My first thought was that it will be a lot of work removing all that when it comes time to reseal."
 That's why you want to do the job with Eternabond. The 4" wide variety covers the old seam and overlaps an inch onto the bare roof on either side, so aside from cleaning the roof first, there is no need to remove any old sealant. That saves a tremendous amount of labor. And once the Eternabond is properly applied, it should be good for 30 years or more--no periodic resealing will be needed.
 "Is the Eternabond a price issue with Lazy dazes or is there some other reason they are not using it?"
 Steve Newton has not yet been convinced that it will last decades longer than goop-in-a-tube sealant. But we keep trying... :-)

Andy Baird

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 109786
I would prefer keeping the heat strip.  We use the heat strip at lot more than the a/c actually.  No need for the additional noise of running the compressor and the extra control valves, etc. as far as I am concerned.  Also the utility of a heat pump drops pretty rapidly near freezing temps.  I do like the other changes..esp the shift to AGM batteries and led exterior lights.  We were

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 109787
"the utility of a heat pump drops pretty rapidly near freezing temps."

That's a good point, Jack; I wondered about that too.
 I've used the heat strip occasionally, but honestly haven't found it very effective. Perhaps it's because the warm air is discharged near the ceiling, where it does little good. Of course I have the louvers aimed downward, but it doesn't seem to help much.
 Also, the air coming out is only slightly warm--I measured a 21° F. temperature difference between the intake and output when the heat strip is on. The furnace, by contrast, generates *hot* air--I measured a 55° temperature difference between intake and output.
 I'm curious whether my heat strip is uniquely feeble, or others are seeing similar results.

Andy Baird

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 109788
On Feb 7, 2010, at 3:56 PM, Andy wrote:

I've used the heat strip occasionally, but honestly haven't found it very effective. Perhaps it's because the warm air is discharged near the ceiling, where it does little good. Of course I have the louvers aimed downward, but it doesn't seem to help much.

Also, the air coming out is only slightly warm--I measured a 21° F. temperature difference between the intake and output when the heat strip is on. The furnace, by contrast, generates *hot* air--I measured a 55° temperature difference between intake and output.

I'm curious whether my heat strip is uniquely feeble, or others are seeing similar results.
Andy,

Bernie and I have had exactly the same experience. We don't use the heat strip at all. It's that ineffective... and we were also wondering if our experience was unique. Guess not!
 As you say... the furnace produces much better results. Combined with a small, safe space heater, we've gotten all the comfort we need at night in temps as low as 20.

Martha

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 109789
Andy:
 The heat strip is 1500 watts.  You get the same results as I do.  The furnace, on the other hand, is 20,000 BTU, or 5859 watts.

Gus Weber

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 109790
Steve, The 2+ minute delay I never found as a problem with previous coaches I have had. Having the choice of delay time could be helpful depending on the new AC unit.
Thanks, Mike

2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 109791
I'll need to educate myself on the new units with the heat pumps. I hope they work better than the heat strips as I have found them to be of little use.
It would be nice to have adequate electric heat while hooked to shore power and not have to use up the propane to keep warm.

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 109792
Andy, I had the Dometic heat pump in my last two coaches and yes the efficiency does drop off some near freezing . Below that, the propane furnace will need to help out. However, when the outside temp. is a little higher the unit puts out a ton of warm air making the interior quite comfortable very quickly. I wouldn't have anything else. I am very pleased LD are using them now.
Mike
2004 Born Free 26'
1998 Beaver Patriot 33'
1992 Barth Breakaway 28'
1982 Dolphin/Toyota 22'