Skip to main content
Topic: Removing stove plate (Read 5 times) previous topic - next topic
Removing stove plate
Yahoo Message Number: 109747
We are trying to clean under the stove plate (the one under the burners).  The instruction booklet says to press back with "thumb or palm of hand", and lift up on the front.  Neither my husband nor I can budge these springs with all of our force, and even using rubber gloves to prevent slippage.  We can pull the springs out a little bit from the back using a screwdriver, so we know that they are not rusted shut.  We have found no evidence of rust or corrosion anywhere on the rig.  It had spent its entire life in California, until we brought it to Arizona about a year ago.
 The stove looked like it had never been used when we got the unit, so I don't think there is "crud" back there holding it.  We can see in there, and it looks pristine.

Any ideas?

Virtual hugs,

Judie Not quite so grounded in Sierra Vista, Arizona

Re: Removing stove plate
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 109750
wrote:

We are trying to clean under the stove plate (the one under the burners).  The instruction booklet says to press back with "thumb or palm of hand", and lift up on the front.  Neither my husband nor I can  budge these springs with all of our force, and even using rubber gloves to prevent slippage.
--- Judie, this may sound like an odd question, but are you pressing the stove top back from the *front* edge/corners?  Pushing the back edge near the springs won't work; you may have found that out!  ;-)  There's a small "tab" in the middle of the front underside of the stove top that slips under the metal edge above the burner controls and is supposed to keep the stove top from sliding forward; the stove top has to be pushed back enough for this to clear before lifting the stove top up and off (from the front).
 BTW, the little tab is super-cheesy; it's attached to the stove top with the wimpiest of welds!  The tab on the stovetop in my rig broke off soon after I took delivery.

Good luck!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home