Skip to main content
Topic: Garmin GPS POI Loader Problem (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Garmin GPS POI Loader Problem
Yahoo Message Number: 109729
While trying to download my POI folder (which contains all my POIs) to my Garmin 2720 GPS via the Garmin POI loader, I kept getting an error message, and it would not allow the download.  I emailed Garmin tech svcs and they requested I send them the compressed (zipped) POI folder for analysis.  Turns out a rogue BMP POI icon caused the problem.  Here's what they said:
 "...To clarify: many POI providers will put a BMP in with the files they give you so that it will show up as the icon for anything in a similarly named file (i.e: anything in POIs.csv will use POIs.bmp as its icon).  There appears to be a bug in the current version of POI Loader which causes this to crash in many cases.  Deleting the BMP will fix the issue, but the POIs will no longer have a custom icon..."
 I deleted the POI with the BMP icon and that cured the problem.  I'm posting this just in case anyone else may have the same problem.  Interestingly, the last time I used the POI Loader a year ago I had no problems.  I downloaded the newest version last week and then had the problem.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB