Skip to main content
Topic: the Couch Project (Read 9 times) previous topic - next topic
the Couch Project
Yahoo Message Number: 109622
I know that others have done this before, but it hasn't been mentioned in a while so here goes.

As most of you know, we full time in a 30 foot Twin Bed.

We are a retired couple with no children.
 In the almost five years we've been doing this, we have only used the couch as a bed one time, and that was while we were in someone's driveway.  Their 10 year old wanted to sleep in a motor home, so we pulled the bed out so she could play.  She would have fit just fine on the couch as a twin, but we humored her.

The other day I was walking around the rig barefoot and my toes happened under the front flip down part of the couch.  YUCK, what was that?  I pulled the bed and realized that there was a tremendous amount of dust and dirt under that front flap of the couch.  I looked around and asked a friend who has done a lot of mods to his 92, and he said, "Oh Yeah, you can just pull that whole thing out of there.
 So we tore the couch apart, and sure enough, we were able to get rid of a piece of plywood the size of the couch as well as the front upholstered bolster that covers from the bottom of the couch to the floor.

Yeah, I know, now we don't have that second full size bed, but you know what?  We don't care!  We still have a twin size bed and a whole lot less weight (I"ll get to that in an moment).  Also, we have gained about 4-5 inches width up under the couch.  It doesn't sound like a big deal, but now I can get my feet closer to that side of the rig and getting stuff out of the upper cabinet is a whole lot easier.

Now about that wood . . .
 We've been talking about making shallow bookcases between the flip up table and the stove on one side and the front wall on the other.  We figure we have near enough wood from the couch to make this work and we won't be adding any extra weight to the rig.  And all the stuff we've been storing on the floor in that space will now have a place to go.

What will I do without that ugly box of computer cables between my chair and the wall?

Life is good!

Kate
 http://cholulared.blogspot.com http://www.cholulared.com

Want to find us? Click below, we're #3096 http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=3096

..."I live in a very small house, but my window looks out on a very large world."-Thoreau..

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: the Couch Project
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 109629
Yeah, I know, now we don't have that second full size bed, but you know what?  We don't care!  We still have a twin size bed and a whole lot less weight (I"ll get to that in an moment).  Also, we have gained about 4-5 inches width up under the couch.  It doesn't sound like a big deal, but now I can get my feet closer to that side of the rig and getting stuff out of the upper cabinet is a whole lot easier.
Kate
Boy, I sure wish we had known about that mod when we had our 30'TB! Good information!

Sharon N.
Crossville, TN

Re: the Couch Project
Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 109647
Kate, please take pictures of whatever you construct. Looking forward to seeing them.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]