Skip to main content
Topic: Kindle (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
Kindle
Yahoo Message Number: 109540
I know many of you have Kindles.  Bert and I are thinking of buying one, but we have a question.  I see that you download books through Sprint.  Do you have to purchase an account with Sprint?  How does the download process work and what sort of internet connection allows you to download the books?  Any information would be appreciated.

Re: Kindle
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 109541
On Jan 28, 2010, at 4:51 PM, BertS wrote:

I know many of you have Kindles. Bert and I are thinking of buying one, but we have a question. I see that you download books through Sprint. Do you have to purchase an account with Sprint? How does the download process work and what sort of internet connection allows you to download the books? Any information would be appreciated.
Amazon's Kindle downloads via Sprint, but you do NOT have to be a Sprint subscriber. The download charge is included in the cost of the material you purchase. (Bernie and I each have a Kindle, and our phone cell service is with Verizon, not Sprint.)

You can download a book or magazine from any computer with an Internet connection... but you can also do it directly through your Kindle. All you need for that is to be in an area with Sprint. No computer is needed... although it is easier to hunt for a book if you've got a computer. If you know which book you want, it's easy to get just with the Kindle.
 I've provided many volunteer (ie, unpaid, no commission from Amazon) demos of my Kindle to people in Albuquerque and Santa Fe. If you're anywhere near those cities and want a demo, let me know. If you'd like to discuss the Kindle, send me a private email and I'll gladly talk to you on the phone.

Full disclosure: I published a novel on Kindle last spring... but I was a big Kindle fan before that happened. It's a wonderful alternative to carrying a whole lot of heavy, bulky books on a trip.

Martha in Santa Fe

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 109542
I know many of you have Kindles.  Bert and I are thinking of buying one, but we have a question.  I see that you download books through Sprint.  Do you have to purchase an account with Sprint?  How does the download process work and what sort of internet connection allows you to download the books?  Any information would be appreciated.
We have a Kindle and the Sprint service for downloading books is a feature that comes with the reader.  Nothing else to buy or subscribe to.  Works great, in seconds.
 There's an item on the home page Menu of the Kindle Reader that allows you to turn on or turn off the Sprint service.  Since the Sprint service uses a lot of battery, I leave it off until I want to buy a book. Whithout the Sprint service on I can go weeks without a battery charge.
 I've not used the service in other locations, so I don't know what happens (or doesn't happen) in areas where Sprint service isn't the best, but I've always bought/loaded whatever books I want to take with me from a location that had good service.
 It's a great way to take lots of books without the weight!  Some people prefer the Sony reader....and others are now going to buy the new Apple iPad.

Clarkie

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 109543
If you would like to try the Kindle concept for free, go to the Amazon site, in the search box enter Kindle for PC, then download it, for free, onto your computer.  Then search through the available books until you find the free ones. Download a free book and give it a try.
We did, but after trying it, decided the Kindle concept, while very interesting, just didn't appeal to us. Many others feel differently, of course.

Take care:

Ed

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 109545
If you would like to try the Kindle concept for free, go to the Amazon site, in the search box enter Kindle for PC,

We did, but after trying it, decided the Kindle concept, while very interesting, just didn't appeal to us.

Certainly ebooks aren't for everyone, but trying to compare reading a book on a computer to reading one on an ereader is like comparing apples and oranges.
 For one thing, with an ebook, you can sit in a comfortable recliner or lay in bed and read...not so easy to do with a computer.  Secondly, ereaders (at least all that I know about) don't have a back lit screen, so reading is much easier on your eyes than trying to read long text on a computer screen.
 If you really want to find out whether or not an ereader is for you, find someone who has one and see if you can try it out.
 Both of us have the Sony Touch eReader (yes, we have two because we both read).  We've been able to get rid of all our heavy books (with the exception, of course, of our atlases and directories) and are reading a lot of interesting books that we would never had read, or even known about, had we not had the readers.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 109546
On Jan 28, 2010, at 5:16 PM, etdcaw wrote:

If you would like to try the Kindle concept for free, go to the Amazon site, in the search box enter Kindle for PC, then download it, for free, onto your computer. Then search through the available books until you find the free ones. Download a free book and give it a try.
We did, but after trying it, decided the Kindle concept, while very interesting, just didn't appeal to us. Many others feel differently, of course.
Ed, if I read correctly what you're saying... you're suggesting that somebody download a book *to a computer and read it on screen.* Is that what you meant to say?

If so... then I'm not at all surprised that you found it didn't appeal to you.

The Kindle screen reads just like a book... without a backlight.
Books aren't backlit; they require an external light; they are very easy on the eyes. Not true with text on a computer screen. Can anybody imagine reading an entire book on a computer monitor??? Wow, I surely can't.

There's really no way to simulate the Kindle reading experience without actually seeing or using one.

Here's what I believe is a better suggestion... Go to the following web site:
 http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000230941

Click on your state and see if somebody living near you is willing to demonstrate a Kindle to you. That's how people in New Mexico find me.
I bet you'll find somebody near you, too.

Martha

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 109548
On Jan 28, 2010, at 6:46 PM, Martha Marks wrote:

Can anybody imagine reading an entire book on a computer monitor??? Wow, I surely can't.
Martha, I think I could do it on a Mac. The screen is very easy on my eyes.
However, I am remaining a dinosaur. No ebooks for me.
 Try the adventure of used books stores. We find some great buys at small libraries while traveling.

Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 109550
Read about the new Apple Tablet (iPad) today and it sounds like it could be used like a Kindle AND can do a lot more tasks such as internet and email.  However, price starts at around $500 for a basic 16 gig wi-fi model and goes up to around $800.     Might look at some reviews.

Bob/Barbara Hughes

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 109553
On Jan 28, 2010, at 6:00 PM, Don Malpas wrote:

Martha, I think I could do it on a Mac. The screen is very easy on my eyes.
However, I am remaining a dinosaur. No ebooks for me.

Try the adventure of used books stores. We find some great buys at small libraries while traveling.
That's fine, Don. If you prefer traditional books, read 'em. Nobody is forcing anybody to go high tech. However, some folks (like my husband) really, really, really do like their e-books... and when somebody seeks an opinion from those of us who use 'em, we're happy to give it.
 As Linda Hylton pointed out, there are considerations other than than just how easy it is on the eyes. Sorta hard to snuggle up in bed with a good computer screen. :-)

BTW... I enjoy paper books, too, and my very own is about to come out, as you and Dorothy already know.

Martha

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 109557
Amongst Apple fans, there was a huge sense of letdown over the specs for the iPad. It simply does not live up to all the hype that was out there in advance of its formal announcement yesterday.
 BUT... it seems that the only thing about it getting universal approval is its function as a reader, and the application iBook for that purpose. The general consensus is that it is far superior to, and has a more attractive interface than, Amazon't Kindle... and goes for about the same amount of money. Several reviews I read made the prediction that this was a death-knell for the Kindle. Who knows? It sure is prettier... and will do more things.
 Like most everyone else, however, I'd expected so much more and am hugely disappointed in the product... to say nothing of the stupid choice of its name. Would I buy it just as an eReader? Probably.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 109559
"lazydazer@..."  wrote:

We noticed a (I think a Sony) book reader at Target yesterday for $199. Is that a good price?

Anne Johnson Lovely (and sunny and WARM) La Verne, CA
That is probably the Sony PRS-505. My wife and I each have one of these and love them. They are popular because they will accept Ebooks in open formats that are readily available, such as pdf, from free online sources. Virtually any HTML, pdf or other formatted Ebook can be converted to the Sony .lrf format with a free library program (http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net).
Sony has thier own online store but you have to download the books to your computer then transfer them to the Sony reader. They are also keyed to a specific device and cannot be shared. However, we have owned our readers for over a year and have never purchased a single book from the Sony store since there are so many other resources readily available.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 109560
"Certainly ebooks aren't for everyone, but trying to compare reading a book on a computer to reading one on an ereader is like comparing apples and oranges."
 Agreed--it's a *very* different experience reading a book on a 170 dpi E-ink screen such as the Kindle or my Sony reader compared to reading it on a 90 dpi LCD. And it's a very different experience reading a book on a 9- or 10-ounce 1/4" thick handheld device compared to reading it on a 2- to 4-pound laptop computer. Don't judge one by the other.
 I'm with those who say you need to get your hands on a Kindle or Sony Reader (avoid the Nook; it's buggy and feature-poor) and try it. Downloading ebooks to your computer really tells you next to nothing about the e-reader experience.
 "We noticed a (I think a Sony) book reader at Target yesterday for $199. Is that a good price?"
 Impossible to say without knowing what model it was; Sony has at least four currently in stores, plus a couple like my PRS-505 that are only recently discontinued. Write down the model number and look it up on Amazon; their prices are usually lower than Target's. Here's a link to all the Sony Readers at Amazon:

http://tinyurl.com/yjyb5ws>
 Prices start at $175 for the Pocket Edition. If I had to guess, I'd bet that's what Target is selling for $199. ;-) For the record, the Sony Readers use exactly the same E-ink screens as the Kindles.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 109561
"Amongst Apple fans, there was a huge sense of letdown over the specs for the iPad. It simply does not live up to all the hype that was out there in advance of its formal announcement yesterday."
 I don't want to start an iPad thread here, but based on the hundreds of comments I've read in the past two days, I strongly disagree with your assessment. I suggest reading this page, and tempering your expectations accordingly:

http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/001592.html#001592>

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 109562
On Jan 28, 2010, at 9:51 PM, Andy wrote:

I don't want to start an iPad thread here, but based on the hundreds of comments I've read in the past two days, I strongly disagree with your assessment. I suggest reading this page, and tempering your expectations accordingly:
This article is priceless, Andy. Thanks for sharing it!

Martha

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 109563
I love my Sony E-Reader 505, but when I want to hike down to the creek it would be nice to have my field guides (bird books, insect book, reptile and amphibian book, rock and mineral book, edible wild plants book, native plants of the Cumberland Plateau book, etc.)handy AND in color.  My E-Reader is a good size, but it's not in color. The iPad (stupid name!) can't do it, either, because it's too big and bulky.  An iTouch, loaded with the field guides mentioned above, would fit in my pocket and might do the trick.  I don't have one, but I have seen a couple of field guide apps that look interesting.
 Have any of you used an iTouch for field guides? By the way, we never considered an iPhone, since we don't even have decent AT&T service here...let alone 3G!

Sharon N.
Crossville, TN

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 109564
Quote from: Andy"

I suggest reading this page, and tempering your expectations accordingly
 I too have read, and viewed, many evaluations of the iPad since Wednesday morning... including Cruft's testy response to those who are left disappointed. Much of what he says is frequently of value.
 (And I don't think it would be stretching a point *too* much to relate all this to the similar way we LD devotees are so frequently disappointed in the things that could have been done differently in the product that we nevertheless know to be the best RV out there.)
 It is *because* of our love for the "insanely great" products that Apple is best known for that we feel so let down when hype has built up (perhaps unrealistic) expectations, and the reality is a dull thud. It's happened a few times in the past twenty-five years. Nobody's perfect. Nevertheless, this is a company with vision, and we hold onto them for their vision in spite of their occasional flops. I'm not convinced the iPad is a flop... just not all that it could have been. A lack of multi-tasking doesn't bother me... there's a Mac for that. But no camera for Skype video phone calls? Continuing to be stuck with AT&T's limitations? Just two of the more obvious omissions that would have been a no-brainer to correct... and probably will be in a future iteration.
 But I remain steadfast in considering the name, "iPad," a totally stupid misnomer. If that needs further clarification, there is a hilarious YouTube video I could reference.
 As I mentioned in my previous post (the one with untempered expectations), I'll probably buy one in a Round Two... if for no other reason than as a superior eReader in spite of the other limitations. I remain a committed Mac-fan as I've been since 1984, and will unapologetically continue to hold out high expectations for Apple products.

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 109565
In the early days of the Internet back in 1984, a company name eSoft, eSoft.com , created a unique server called an IPAD (Internet Protocol Adapter). It was unhackable. eSoft offered $10,000 to anyone that could hack it. They never had to pay. I bought two of them.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/eSoft+Signs+Telecom+Industry+Distribution+Agreements;+Boulder,+Colo.+...-a053019544>
 I'm surprised "IPAD" is not Trademarked by eSoft - perhaps it is.....

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon) - See our website at www. LazyDazers.com

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 109566
I'm surprised "IPAD" is not Trademarked by eSoft - perhaps it is.....
Ah... but it *is* copyrighted by Fujitsu... who now has threatened a lawsuit against Apple for infringement. It has been remarked by others that this could play out in a few different ways:
1) Apple could walk into Fujitsu with mucho bucks and convince them to make the lawsuit go away (although why two corporate giants who make superior products would fight over this ridiculous name... which I really hope I don't have to spell out... is beyond fathoming).
 OR
2) Apple could "intentionally" lose the lawsuit as a face-saving way of getting out of their mistake.

Interesting.

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 109568
There's really no way to simulate the Kindle reading experience without actually seeing or using one.

Martha
Hello Martha; We spent last week camping with a group of friends. One of the women let us use her Kindle for a day. It was nice, but we decided it wasn't for us. Then again we have never found a use for Blu-Ray, Blackberries, Bluetooth, Texting, Twitter, Face Book, etc.
 In our LD, a few extra pounds of books and the space they consume has never been an issue. A lot of campgrounds have a "leave one, take one" book exchange. We use those sometimes. We also enjoy rummaging around in used book stores, at flea markets, etc. during our travels.

Take care: Ed & Carol. Still enjoying the 60's.

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 109572
We noticed a (I think a Sony) book reader at Target yesterday for $199. Is that a good price?

That sounds like the Sony Pocket eReader which has a smaller screen than the Sony Touch eReader.  The Sony Touch is around $299.  If you can live with the smaller screen, the Pocket would be OK...I don't know if there are any other differences between the two besides the size of the screen.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 109573
it would be nice to have my field guides (bird books, insect book, reptile and amphibian book, rock and mineral book, edible wild plants book, native plants of the Cumberland Plateau book, etc.)handy AND in color.   ...  An iTouch, loaded with the field guides mentioned above, would fit in my pocket and might do the trick.  I don't have one, but I have seen a couple of field guide apps that look interesting.

This is the main reason I'd like to get an iTouch...just that many more books to get rid of!  Do they have a wild flower ap, too?
 I haven't bought one yet, but may do so one of these days.  The iPad sounded interesting from the news program I saw on it, but it's considerably bigger in size...you certainly couldn't slip it in your pocket when you go on a hike!

Linda Hylton