Skip to main content
Topic: Hello to all (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Hello to all
Yahoo Message Number: 109515
Hello, We are Ann & Jerry and are someday Lazy Daze owners.  Have been lurking for quite some time and have followed Andys' blog almost from the beginning.
Fulltimed 2001/2 in a 36', 2 slide moterhome. Loved the fulltime life. Stopped due to parent care needs (long story). Now need to sell our California house. Then we want to buy a 2005 or newer 24'T/K or a 26'T/K with the newer, more substantial payload. If you see something available please let us know.  Also, any advise welcomed! Anyway, we enjoy reading all your posts and appreciate how much everyone helps each other.
Be well everyone and happy new decade! A&J

Re: Hello to all
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 109529
"wereoffagain"  wrote: Then we want to buy a 2005 or newer 24'T/K or a 26'T/K with the newer, more substantial payload.
--- You might find the document, "LD Models through the Years", very helpful; it's found in the Files section (See the links at page left on the home page) of the message board.  The document describes the changes made to each Lazy Daze model year since 1969.
 The 26.5' (27') model that shares a similar layout with the 23.5'/24' Twin King is called a "Mid-bath"; see the floor plans and model names (and other information) at www.lazydaze.com.  If you are looking for a used Lazy Daze and want the 14500 pound gvwr chassis, you will need to consider a 2008 or newer model. If you select a 2009 or “2010” *24’* (any floor plan), the V-10 engine option goes with the 14500 pound gvwr chassis; otherwise, the 24’ has a V-8 and the 14050 pound gvwr. (This information *may* apply to the 2008 *24'* also, but I suggest checking with the factory to be sure!)
 You might also want to look at the Files section for “Buying and Selling”; there may be just the right LD there waiting for you!  Good luck in your search!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 109581
Oh, Joan, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!  This is the exact information we needed.
We think the 27' MB 2008 or newer would be perfect for us.
We are so excited to get started when we have no more ties with California.
Now, another question for all you experts.  When we sell our home in California, we will become South Dakota or Texas residents.  If we get a Montana LLC, will go with Texas.  We do not want to pay California sales tax.  How is a used (used would likely be from a private party) or new RV Lazy Daze purchase handled by non-Californians.  Our understanding is that we would have to take delivery OUTSIDE of California.  Anyone with experience with this?  How did it work for you either used from a private party or new from the Lazy Daze company? Ann and Jerry

"wereoffagain"  wrote: Then we want to buy a 2005 or newer 24'T/K or a 26'T/K with the newer, more substantial payload.
--- You might find the document, "LD Models through the Years", very helpful; it's found in the Files section (See the links at page left on the home page) of the message board.  The document describes the changes made to each Lazy Daze model year since 1969.
 The 26.5' (27') model that shares a similar layout with the 23.5'/24' Twin King is called a "Mid-bath"; see the floor plans and model names (and other information) at www.lazydaze.com.  If you are looking for a used Lazy Daze and want the 14500 pound gvwr chassis, you will need to consider a 2008 or newer model. If you select a 2009 or “2010” *24’* (any floor plan), the V-10 engine option goes with the 14500 pound gvwr chassis; otherwise, the 24’ has a V-8 and the 14050 pound gvwr. (This information *may* apply to the 2008 *24'* also, but I suggest checking with the factory to be sure!)
 You might also want to look at the Files section for “Buying and Selling”; there may be just the right LD there waiting for you!  Good luck in your search!

Joan

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 109582
LDs since 1997 have had 14,050 lb chassis. Your horizon is not limited to 2008s.
 Why did you choose a MB? We did when we bought our new MB LD in 2003.
We now have a RB and wonder what we were thinking when we bought a MB (actually, we know what we were thinking but now realize something clouded our mind).

That some call the RB the "party plan" doesn't come close to describing pleasingly how open it is.

Good luck in your quest!

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon) - See our website at www. LazyDazers.com

Oh, Joan, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! This is the exact information we needed.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 109583
Paul Smith  wrote:
 LDs since 1997 have had 14,050 lb chassis. Your horizon is not limited to 2008s.
--- Ford increased the gvwr from 14050 pounds to *14500* pounds on the E-450 cutaway motorhome chassis for the 2008 model year. The OP said that he was interested in the higher gvwr chassis, so if he wants the chassis that has the 450-pound greater gvwr (either a 24' with the optional V-10 and 14500 gvwr or a 27' which comes standard with the V-10 and 14500 gvwr), his choices would be 2008 or later model years.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 109584
Ann and Jerry, I don't know about buying used. I don't know what California laws are, but _suspect_ you wouldn't pay sales tax on a used purchase. However, on a new purchase, per our November '09 experience, you might pay Cal. tax. If you are a resident of Cal. at the time, you probably will pay tax. If you are not, then you probably want to take delivery outside Cal. and not pay the tax. LD does this routinely and will explain it to you. There is an extra cost of around $500 or so to cover the cost of the permit, driver and notary. Note that doing so means you are not supposed to reenter Cal. for 12 months except for repair issues.
Good luck on finding the LD for you.
Ken
Former 2009 MB owner

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 109586
Thanks! I thot 14500 was a typo.

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon) - See our website at www. LazyDazers.com

Ford increased the gvwr from 14050 pounds to *14500* pounds on the E-450

cutaway motorhome chassis for the 2008 model year. The OP said that he was interested in the
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Hello to all - Ann and Jerry
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 109587
"Now, another question for all you experts.  When we sell our home in California, we will become South Dakota or Texas residents.  If we get a Montana LLC, will go with Texas.  We do not want to pay California sales tax.  How is a used (used would likely be from a private party) or new RV Lazy Daze purchase handled by non-Californians.  Our understanding is that we would have to take delivery OUTSIDE of California.  Anyone with experience with this?  How did it work for you either used from a private party or new from the Lazy Daze company? Ann and Jerry"
 Do a search here and using the "searchable archives" on the home page using "California Sales Tax" and you will find numerous discussions on that topic.  Google "California tax on used vehicles", etc.  If you decide to become tax scofflaws and get a Montana, LLC, you'd better be prepared to dodge the vehicle sales tax collecting authorities wherever you domicile.

Chris Horst 2002 30' IB Arvada, CO
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 109588
We are Nevada residents (actually live there) and we purchased a used rv from a private party in CA. We were able to drive it home and register it in Nevada without paying fees/taxes in CA. Just so happens that Nevada does not charge sales tax on private party sales of vehicles, so all we had to pay in Nevada was registration fees, no tax on the sale price. Check with your DMV in the state where you will reside.

Cindy - soon to be '09 Silver FD

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 109589
In Califormia you pay sales tax on everything but used food.

Oh, Joan, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!  This is the exact information we needed.
We are so excited to get started when we have no more ties with California.
Now, another question for all you experts.  When we sell our home in California, we will become South Dakota or Texas residents.  If we get a Montana LLC, will go with Texas.  We do not want to pay California sales tax.  How is a used (used would likely be from a private party) or new RV Lazy Daze purchase handled by non-Californians.  Our understanding is that we would have to take delivery OUTSIDE of California.  Anyone with experience with this?  How did it work for you either used from a private party or new from the Lazy Daze company? Ann and Jerry

Joan

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 109592
"If we get a Montana LLC..."
 Chris is right: that scam has outlived its viability, and the crackdown is in full swing. My advice: don't even think about trying to evade taxes that way. You won't like it one bit when they catch up with you and slap you with  a massive bill, including back taxes and penalties.
 "In the MB 27' there are two 'ground floor' living spaces so the one up during the night could work on the computer, read, etc without waking the other. This is a very BIG deal for us."
 Many couples prefer the midbath for exactly that reason... especially those who have differing day/night schedules (e.g., he's a night owl who likes to sleep late, while she's an early riser). There's no question that the rear bath model has a more open layout, but in your situation that's actually a drawback rather than an advantage. That's why Lazy Daze makes both kinds. :-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 109605
Quote from: lazydazer@..."

"In Califormia you pay sales tax on everything but used food."
 I'll assume that is a statement of fact, and not a political opinion. ;^)

Sharon N.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 109613
wrote: We think the 27' MB 2008 or newer would be perfect for us.
--- If you haven't already done so, spending a few hours hanging out in the floor models at the factory can go a *long way* towards focusing your choice(s) of which floor plan will work best for your lifestyle. "Going through the motions" of living in a particular model is a lot different from just comparing one-dimensional floor plan layouts on paper; quite a few people have been set on one model/floor plan, but have changed their minds when they actually "experienced" another layout at the factory.  (I did.)  And, even after owning a LD for over 6 years, if I were going to get another LD (a 27'), I'd *still* head for the factory and compare the liveability (for me) of the floor plans - and exterior compartment sizes, configurations, and layouts and crawl under the rig to look at tank placements - just to be sure that I wasn't missing anything! ;-) As ever, YMMV.

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 109620
Re:  Montana LLCs

There is a difference between tax evasion and tax avoicdance and despite the groanings and moanings of those states losing revenue, one preeminent expert on state tax law, Prof. Walter Hellerstein, maintains Montana's laws are perfectly valid.  To paraphrase a late Supreme Court justice:  taxes are not voluntary contributions, they are forced exactions.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 109621
"one preeminent expert on state tax law, Prof. Walter Hellerstein, maintains Montana's laws are perfectly valid."
 Oh, that's reassuring--one professor's opinion vs. the governments of several States. Will Hellerstein undertake to defend me in tax court at no cost? 'Cause if not, I don't think this is a risk worth taking. ;-)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 109623

wrote: We think the 27' MB 2008 or newer would be perfect for us.
--- If you haven't already done so, spending a few hours hanging out in the floor models at the factory can go a *long way* towards focusing your choice(s) of which floor plan will work best for your lifestyle. "Going through the motions" of living in a particular model is a lot different from just comparing one-dimensional floor plan layouts on paper; quite a few people have been set on one model/floor plan, but have changed their minds when they actually "experienced" another layout at the factory.  (I did.)  And, even after owning a LD for over 6 years, if I were going to get another LD (a 27'), I'd *still* head for the factory and compare the liveability (for me) of the floor plans - and exterior compartment sizes, configurations, and layouts and crawl under the rig to look at tank placements - just to be sure that I wasn't missing anything! ;-) As ever, YMMV.

Joan
That's good advice Joan….The only problem is that I have been to the factory twice in the last few months and they only have one 27 foot model to look at, the 27RK. Both times I was there I was told they are transitioning from 2009 to 2010 models. They could not give me an estimated time as to when they will have other models to view.
 They did take me into the shop to see some that where under construction but it's hard to get a feel for them like that. For such an important decision, it's a little frustrating.

Robert Britton Hollister, California

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 109624
wrote: The only problem is that I have been to the factory twice in the last few months and they only have one 27 foot model to look at, the 27RK. Both times I was there I was told they are transitioning from 2009 to 2010 models. They could not give me an estimated time as to when they will have other models to view.
 They did take me into the shop to see some that where under construction but it's hard to get a feel for them like that. For such an important decision, it's a little frustrating.
--- I certainly agree, Robert; I hadn't thought about the factory not having at least a few models on the floor! :-( It would probably be a good idea for those wanting to visit the factory to compare models to call first and find out just what's available for viewing.  I do hope there's a larger complement of floor models soon!

Joan
2003 TK has a new home

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 109625

"I certainly agree, Robert; I hadn't thought about the factory not having at least a few models on the floor!"

Joan
Joan
 That was also the case when I visited three weeks ago, only 3 models on display and one of those was a Kodiac. It was locked and so I got to see the outside only. Either they don't want to sell it or perhaps it was already sold, although there was no indication of that. There was no one in the office outside of the receptionist and I wasn't interested enough to inquire. Sort of a 'pig in a poke' situation.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 109627
I second Andy's reply...I read in our paper, sometime back about that very same thing...people getting snagged by the law and the fines they HAD TO PAY.. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it..  Gene in wet Sanford

__

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 109628
I'm hoping to go down this fall for a day trip to see the models on the floor.  Probably Sept-October timeframe....hopefully they will have several models then to view.

Cheers,

Helen