Skip to main content
Topic: Comment on the Kodiak (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic
Comment on the Kodiak
Yahoo Message Number: 109338
I saw pictures of the kitchen counter in the Kodiak for the first time today. While the counter folds down over the range, with the counter up, the space looks to be the same as smaller rigs.
 http://www.lazydazers.com/index.cfm?fa=ShowItem&ID=2944

Steve is a fine engineer, but I don't he has ever cooked a meal or washed a dish in an LD.

The layout looks a lot like a 30IB.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Comment on the Kodiak
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 109341
"Steve is a fine engineer, but I don't he has ever cooked a meal or washed a dish in an LD."
 I must admit that in unkind moments I've had similar thoughts. But to be fair, people's priorities differ.
 If I had my druthers, I've want an RV with a generously sized kitchen and a generously sized office... the rest doesn't matter so much to me. Hey, who needs a living room? Don't most family-and-friends activities gravitate to the kitchen anyway, even in a stick house? To me, the multiple sofas and barrel chairs in most RVs are about as useful as an old-fashioned parlor--you know, the kind that got used once a year when the parson came to call. ;-)

But that's just me.
 I know people who eat most of their meals in restaurants... like Charles "On the Road" Kuralt and his camera crew, who traveled in a huge motorhome supplied by CBS, but almost never ate in it. (Apparently it was too much trouble to wash the dishes.) I know people who do most of their cooking on outdoor grilles, instead of on their stoves. Heck, I know people who've never, ever used their ovens!
 Judging by the layouts of today's RVs, most people do a lot more entertaining, and a lot less serious cooking and office work, than I do. Steve knows his customers by now, and one has to assume that he caters to their needs.
 Just the same, what bothers me about the Lazy Daze floorplans is that for a given coach length, all the variations have the same balance of furnishings: pretty much the same number of seating positions (a lot), kitchen space (minimal), and office space (none). The parts are rearranged from layout to layout, but they're always the same parts.
 What I'd really like to see is a Chef's model... and a Home Office model... and a Party model... and so on. The Chef's model might have only two barrel chairs and a dinette for seating--no couches--but there'd be twice as much counter space as normal, including a large butcher-block cutting board. Plentiful counter-level 120V outlets would make it easy to use kitchen appliances without cords hanging down in front of the windows. An oversized fridge and plenty of pantry closet space would complete the picture.
 Similarly, the office model might look... well something like what I've done with Skylark, perhaps (http://www.andybaird.com/travels/skylarking/new-home/upgrade-frenzy.htm>), with an L-shaped desk and a comfortable office chair replacing one of the couches... a built-in filing cabinet... a cubbyhole for a shredder... you get the idea.
 And the party model would look pretty much like today's standard floorplans, such as the Rear Bath, with lots of open space and seating for guests. The kitchen would be minimal, with the oven replaced by a storage cabinet and the microwave doing double duty as a convection oven.
 In short, I'd like to see Lazy Daze offer layouts that are really optimized for differing lifestyles, rather than just taking the same pieces of furniture and shuffling them around into different arrangements.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 109342
Actually, I was in the Kodiak again this past Monday and the range/oven is deeper and thus the entire countertop is deeper. And because the sink is a rectangle one-bowl which as I sit looking at my mid-bath kitchen sink, appears to have a smaller footprint. I would be thrilled to cook in the Kodiak kitchen!

TinaP 2006 MB "Wild Thing"...currently an extremely "Wet Thing" at the KOA/Fairplex
2006 MB

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 109344
"If I had my druthers, I've want an RV with a generously sized kitchen and a generously sized office... the rest doesn't matter..."

Andy Baird
Andy
 If I owned a Kodiak the very first thing I'd do is remove that stove cover and install the range with the bigger oven such as you have. Looks like it would come just about flush with the counter top.

Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Jiggs
Steve S.
Lazy Bones & Cedar
2004 30'IB (Island Bed)
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery
Live for the day!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 109348
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 22:46:14 -0000, "Andy" andybaird@...> wrote:

"Steve is a fine engineer, but I don't think he has ever cooked a meal or washed a dish in an LD."
 I must admit that in unkind moments I've had similar thoughts. But to be fair, people's priorities differ.
 What I'd really like to see is a Chef's model... and a Home Office model... and a Party model... and so on. The Chef's model might have only two barrel chairs and a dinette for seating--no couches--but there'd be twice as much counter space as normal, including a large butcher-block cutting board. Plentiful counter-level 120V outlets would make it easy to use kitchen appliances without cords hanging down in front of the windows. An oversized fridge and plenty of pantry closet space would complete the picture.
I think of myself as kind, but anywho, I just expected to see more counter space in the Kodiak than in the MB, given it's longer length.
But you are right, our priorities are way different from most owners.
We use the kitchen - daily - often three meals. No outdoor cooking. So all those items you name in a Chef's model have appeal to us. The counter is really cramped for cooking and even more so for washing up.
Definitely a case where mileage varies. That said, we have not seen another rig that comes close to having what the LD offers.
Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid John Wayne
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Re: Kodiaks
Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 109351
"Has LD said what they plan to do once their current inventory of Kodiak frames is used up?"
 As we've mentioned here a number of times (search the archives on the word 'kodiak' for details), there will be no more Kodiak-based Lazy Dazes once the remaining two chassis are sold.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Kodiaks
Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 109352
We were at the Mothership on Monday (1/18/10) and had the opportunity to speak with Steve. Unfortunately, once the existing Kodiaks are sold, there won't be any more.
 Steve feels that too much engineering effort would be required to update the LD Kodiak design to accommodate any year to year chassis changes that might be found while trying to use legacy Kodiak chassis. Sales volume would not justify the costs.

Bill Wild Thing (06 MB) NE 59 Caravan 2967