Skip to main content
Topic: Keeping Engine Battery Charged??? (Read 30 times) previous topic - next topic
Keeping Engine Battery Charged???
Yahoo Message Number: 109252
Is the engine battery kept charged via a trickle charge when the coach is plugged into electrical outlet? If not then would it be advisable to have a plug installed to the engine battery for charging when rig is stored? Or can a disconnect switch be installed as have on the coach batteries? I really don't want to get into disconnecting the engine battery cables if can have an easier way to deal with it This is kinda important to get a solid answer soon 'o)

Thanks very much, Virginia Starr - '07 Red 26.5RB

Re: Keeping Engine Battery Charged???
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 109253
 To: lifewithalazydazerv@yahoogroups.com
 Sent: Sunday, January 17, 2010 10:25 PM
 Subject: [LD] Keeping Engine Battery Charged???

Is the engine battery kept charged via a trickle charge when the coach is plugged into electrical outlet? If not then would it be advisable to have a plug installed to the engine battery for charging when rig is stored? Or can a disconnect switch be installed as have on the coach batteries? I really don't want to get into disconnecting the engine battery cables if can have an easier way to deal with it This is kinda important to get a solid answer soon 'o)

Thanks very much, Virginia Starr - '07 Red 26.5RB

Virginia,
 The engine battery is not charged when the coach is plugged in to shore power. It is only charged when the engine is running, via the alternator unless some other aftermarket arrangement has been installed.
 Probably the easiest way to deal with this is to add a small smart charger (modern version of a trickle charger) like this one:
 http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-D2A-Battery-Maintainer-Charger/dp/B000U0JCPO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1263797750&sr=8-4

$26 bucks and even comes with both battery ring connectors and alligator clips for using on other batteries etc.

bumper Yonder Minden, NV
As an Amazon Associate Lazy Daze Owners' Group earns from qualifying purchases.
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 109257
Or you could just drive it. Yeah I am pretty sure that's what the wheels are on the rig for.

Departing Saturday for south Texas.

Cheers, Don
Don & Dorothy
Sold our LD in June of 2023

Our boring always non-PC travel blog
Traveling Dorothy

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 109259
For many years now I have used Deltran Battery Tenders. They are 4 stage charger/maintainers. I currently have 5 vehicles on these Tenders including the coach and engine batteries on our LD. No worries about overcharging your batteries with these units. Not the cheapest units but I believe the best I have found.

John '04 23.5FL

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 109262
The Duracell 2 amp charger I referred to is a smart 2-stage charger. It will not overcharge a battery. I have several and use them around the hangar etc. They are powered by 110 VAC though, unlike the one Ultra Trik-L-Start Andy suggests.
 Since the Trik-L-Start is powered by 12 volts from the coach batteries, it can be a convenient built-in solution if you'd prefer not to plug in an extra charger for the engine battery.
 On Yonder, I installed a large solenoid to manually connect the engine battery to coach battery banks (it simply connects battery positive to positive and is controlled by a small dash mounted switch). This is mostly for use if a jump start is needed for the engine battery and not intended to long-term connect this battery in parallel with the coach battery system as it's needs are not the same. Still, it can be used to temporarily provide a charging source.

bumper

bumper
bumper
"Yonder" '05 MB
"WLDBLU" glider trailer

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 109263
"One too many 'h' in your 'http:'
 Thanks, Alex and Chris! Not sure how that happened, since I copied and pasted the URL from my browser as I normally do. (To avoid errors, I never manually type URLs.)

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 109264
Thanks for the clarification on the Duracell charger, Bumper. That sounds as if it should be quite safe, and it has the advantage that it uses external power rather than drawing from the house batteries.
 As a fulltimer, of course, I'm not in the market for such a device... but if I were, here's how I'd figure it:

1. SOLAR PANELS BUT NO SHORE POWER: Trik-L-Start (allows solar power to charge both house and starting batteries)  
2. SHORE POWER AVAILABLE: Either Trik-L-Start (allows converter to charge both house and starting batteries) *or* Duracell D2A (allows shore power to charge both starting and--via isolator--house batteries)  
3. NO SOLAR PANELS, NO SHORE POWER: Trik-L-Start, plus driving the rig every month

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 109269
GREAT BIG THANK YOU 'O)to all for your input regarding trickle charging engine battery - I really appreciate your help -
 All this came up when my mechanic said my pick-up truck battery only a year old registered low and he said go drive it - since I don't drive the truck a lot and Starr does set for weeks at a time I got to thinking surely there is a way to trickle charge and was not sure of coach engine battery set up -
 Today I showed my mechanic y'all's posts and he said all were good and added can get a battery tender which will handle multi vehicles - I kinda think that is what John referred to in the Deltran 4 stage/maint battery tender -

Andy, your idea of solar cared - wonderful, please invent it 'o)
 Don we are in south Texas so when you get here just catch up and I'll gladly let ya drive around for me to charge the batteries 'o)

Again, thank you very much to all of you - Our LD group is great Virginia and Jim Starr and Midnight Roadie

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 109274
Good ol Harbor freight has the same thing and a little cheaper, especially if you get an online coupon. John 85fl

Re: HOUSE batteries
Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 109279
David,
 $144 is pretty high.  Check with some golf cart kind of businesses.  I paid $105 per in Montana last summer at such a place.  I did have to put them in myself in their parking lot, but that was not the reason for the price.  There was only one person running the store.

Trojan has dealer locator search on their web site.

Alex Rutchka
'05 MB

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 109280
You might also look at Interstate batteries if you have a dealer around. Local Trojan wanted $155+tax for T105s, the Interstate equivalent was $129. They also had a 255 Amp/Hour (vs 225 for T105s) that they sold me for $155, same price as Trojans, but more capacity. The best part was that they were the same form factor as the Trojans, so fit same way. Even my Profill watering system fit.

YMMV

Lee
2000 TK
2014 Can-Am Spyder RT

Was Re: Keeping Engine Battery Charged???;now winter storage and HOU
Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 109282

Oops, I meant house batteries in the subject of the last message....
 Just FYI, the best price I can find from the dealers in MD are about $144 for Trojan T105s with trade-in;  $306 for 2 w/tax.

David
David, best price I could find for the T-105 back in November 07 was $130.00 + tax in bay area.  List price on the invoice is $144.64.  This was from an equipment company that supplies golf carts.
Joe Hamm- San Jose

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 109289
David,
 I bought new Trojans a few months ago and ran into the same problem you did with difficulty to locate a dealer and price.  When I did find a dealer through the Trojan dealer finder it was 60 miles away, didn't they didn't have them

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 109359
Here's a quick update on batteries after some more surfing and calling places.  Amazingly, I talked to 3 very knowledgeable people on the phone today ( Roger at AMSolar, and 2 battery warehouses ).  They all had very high opinions of the Lifeline AGMs, and have had many RV customers switching.  I still am debating whether the price is worth it.

Here are some prices I have come up with:

Trojan T105s - best price local to Annapolis, MD  -- $129

Interstate equiv ( I think U2200 is closest? )  -- $120 local

Lifeline GPL-4C -- $302 local and $270 not so local, Internet - $260 + ~$20/each shipping from VA to MD, but no sales tax: http://www.batteryout.com/products/4143303
 I did confirm with AMSolar that the RV30s controller can be adjusted for the AGMs.  Of course, it is not the best solution as has been discussed, and is on my list of desired upgrades....

David

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 109360
I switched to Lifeline AGMs in two different RVs (3 8Ds in our Foretravel, 2 8Ds in our RB), both times at AMSolar, and never had a bit of problem with them. I value having one more item I don't have to maintain (except for keeping track of charged state - which I do by a glance as I walk by the monitor AM Solar installed).
 I'm surprised you were amazed. Lifeline AGMs have had a high reputation for quite a while.

best, paul

"Thriving not surviving" - Paul Schaye (at 2008 NYC Marathon) - See our website at www. LazyDazers.com
 Here's a quick update on batteries after some more surfing and calling

places. Amazingly, I talked to 3 very knowledgeable people on the phone today ( Roger at AMSolar, and 2 battery warehouses ). They all had very high opinions of the Lifeline AGMs, and have had many RV customers switching. I still am debating whether the price is worth it.
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]