Skip to main content
Topic: phone and data limits on roaming... (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic
phone and data limits on roaming...
Yahoo Message Number: 109107
Ok, no LD yet! still saving pennies.... sigh!

But a questions for those who primarily boondock.
I need phone, email and internet service while I'm traveling.
It seems there's some limits on the amount of roaming... AT&T does not even want people to roam "because it costs the company money" One of my friends was cut off by AT&T because of too much roaming. This person lives in south Texas where there is NO cell service, so everything is roaming. He was told to find another carrier.

Yes, the Iphone is wonderful, but is there any other alternative? I have Verizon, and a PDA phone, but posting to a blog, answering email and calling people while traveling by motorcycle, frequently in very out of the way places... I can't afford to be cut off, in case of an emergency. Couldn't even find the fine print on Verizon's website, so...
Any suggestions? And yes, I am online a lot! Uploading photos takes a lot of time...
Many thanks Mary aka Krashdragon

Re: phone and data limits on roaming...
Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 109111
"Yes, the iPhone is wonderful, but is there any other alternative [to AT&T]? I have Verizon, and a PDA phone, but posting to a blog, answering email and calling people while traveling by motorcycle, frequently in very out of the way places... I can't afford to be cut off"
 AT&T's service is bad, and seems to be getting worse. They are the sole reason I don't have an iPhone instead of an iPod Touch.
 Most RVers use Verizon because overall, their coverage is better than anybody else's. So you're already on the right network... all you need is a Verizon USB cell modem (sometimes referred to as an "aircard," though it isn't really a card) and a $60-a-month Verizon NationalAccess/BroadbandAccess account added onto your existing account. You will then be able to access the internet in most places. The cell modem is generally free with a two year commitment.
 You might even be able to "tether" your current phone to your computer, effectively using the phone itself as a cell modem. Check with Verizon to see whether this is doable with your particular phone model. You'll still need the $60-a-month data account, though.
 There's no limit on roaming within the US with Verizon, but there is a limit of 5 GB per month (combined upload and download data). Most people can live within that as long as they're not trying to download HD movies, but do keep an eye on your usage--if you exceed the five gigs in a given month, they start charging you by the megabyte, and that can add up fast.
 Verizon's coverage is good, but not perfect. There are places, especially in the west, where you won't be able to get a signal--even a roaming signal. Many of us who travel in RVs use a Wilson cell antenna on the roof and a Wilson cellular booster amp inside. Together, they will get you about two more bars of signal strength in most situations, which is often enough to make the difference between "NO SERVICE" and a usable connection. These accessories are small enough that you could carry them in your motorcycle's saddlebags.
 However, there are places out on the boonies where even with a cell antenna and booster amp, you won't be able to get a usable signal. If you absolutely MUST be connected to the internet every day (like me ;-), a HughesNet or similar satellite internet setup is the only way to be assured of a connection. But there's no way you could carry that on a bike--even with a sidecar! It's way too bulky. And the initial investment is about $1,700 minimum. And it's another $60 a month. In short, even for an RVer, it's a last resort.

Andy Baird http://www.andybaird.com/travels/
Andy Baird
2021 Ford Ranger towing 2019 Airstream 19CB
Previously: 1985 LD Twin/King "Gertie"; 2003 LD Midbath "Skylark"

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 109112
To coin a phrase, there's a map for that.  Check the maps on each provider's web site. They are reasonably accurate and updated frequently (make sure you are looking for the correct service though)

It seems there's some limits on the amount of roaming... AT&T does not even want people to roam "because it costs the company money" One of my friends was cut off by AT&T because of too much roaming. This person lives in south Texas where there is NO cell service, so everything is roaming.
If there is NO cell service, there is no roaming .  ATT and Verizon do not have a billing concept of roaming, (at least domestically)  in other words they do not charge a premium to use it, in fact it is all but impossible to tell when your phone is on a "partner" network. But they all support it.  But if you primarily use the phone (or data service) where the carrier does not provide service, you may get shut off.

Yes, the Iphone is wonderful, but is there any other alternative?
Of course there is. The s are correct. Verizon has the most robust 3G data network of  all the carriers (check the maps).  Where AT&T has 3G service, it is the fastest, probably four times the performance of the CDMA (Verizon, Sprint). But their 3G service territory is limited, although the phone (non-3G) will work most places just fine.

Any suggestions?  And yes, I am online a lot! Uploading photos takes a lot of time...
We have two iPhones, and a Verizon USB dongle on a router. AT&T has excellent service in the area we live/operate. But 3G is non-existent outside the cities.  Pricing is such that there is little difference getting data from one company and voice from another.  Also keep in mind you cannot tether an iPhone today. Presumably coming someday from AT&T, but they seem to keep putting it off.  (actually it did work for a short time with version 3.0 of iPhone OS, but was short lived).  I also have a Sprint USB dongle (employer provided), but I have never found a place where Sprint worked and Verizon did not (I am sure there are some, but I have never been there).
 ALL carriers seem to run with a monthly 5GB limit on data services, with punitive over limit charges, but with website usage monitoring, and judicious use of the service, most folks can stay within that limit. (the iPhone data plan is the notable exception with no limit, but that is likely why they do not support tethering).
 Beware of Windows automatic updates.  Technically optional, but Windows updates can be huge, and suck enormous amounts of data over your wireless link clandestinely in the background. At least with MacOS, you are always informed in advance and can postpone the activity until your next lunch at Panera Bread or some other place with free Wifi  :)
 There is a lot of churn in the industry today with new wireless technology. Whatever next generation technology is chosen, it will be years before the existing networks will be universally replaced.

-Dave '06 MB, Indianapolis

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 109114
I switched from AT&T to Verizon because of the monthly cost and the fear of the roaming charges when I finally do get to travel. I read of one chap being charged $800 by AT&T for roaming!

I haven't used it yet, but the clerk at Verizon said I could sign up for a tether (I picked a phone that supported it) while I was traveling, then cancel it when I was back at home base and using the local WiFi. She said I would only pay for tethering on the days I was signed up. She didn't say anything about needing an extra data account, so I guess I need to ask more questions too.....

However, we've found the coverage doesn't seem to be as good as AT&T, at least in the UP of Michigan, according to our side-by-side limited sample testing....

Good luck!

pat
The Pearl - 2000 31'
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 109116
I haven't used it yet, but the clerk at Verizon said I could sign up for a tether (I picked a phone that supported it) while I was traveling, then cancel it when I was back at home base and using the local WiFi. She said I would only pay for tethering on the days I was signed up. She didn't say anything about needing an extra data account, so I guess I need to ask more questions too.....

That's what you'll be paying for on the days that you use your phone tethered to your laptop for Internet access...the data account.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 109117
I can't afford to be cut off, in case of an emergency.

I you get far enough out in the boonies, there is not going to be any cell service.  Period.  While an external antenna and an amplifier helps to boost a marginal signal, it will not make one magically appear where there is none.
 If you are often going to be in areas with no cell service, you might want to consider the Spot Messenger, http://www.findmespot.com/en/.

Linda Hylton http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=1167 http://earl-linda.blogspot.com
Linda Hylton

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 109119
Ok, no LD yet! still saving pennies.... sigh!

But a questions for those who primarily boondock.
It seems there's some limits on the amount of roaming... AT&T does not even want people to roam "because it costs the company money" One of my friends was cut off by AT&T because of too much roaming. This person lives in south Texas where there is NO cell service, so everything is roaming. He was told to find another carrier.

Yes, the Iphone is wonderful, but is there any other alternative? I have Verizon, and a PDA phone, but posting to a blog, answering email and calling people while traveling by motorcycle, frequently in very out of the way places... I can't afford to be cut off, in case of an emergency. Couldn't even find the fine print on Verizon's website, so...
Any suggestions? And yes, I am online a lot! Uploading photos takes a lot of time...
Many thanks Mary aka Krashdragon
Mary, you received some good advice already.  I suggest you join the Yahoo group Internet by Cell Phone (IBCP) which specializes in the issues you have asked about.  I think to handle your needs you should choose between the USB 760 modem (aircard - $60 per month and cannot be shut off) or the Mobile Broadband Connect plan which, if you can tether your phone to your computer, would cost you about $50 per month (in addition to your voice plan) and can be shut off and thus prorated when not in use.  If you do need to use an external antenna for reception in some areas and your phone does not accept an external antenna, the USB 760 modem does.  You can find info about the USB760 and Mobile Broadband Connect on the Vzn website under "Plans".  I just did a lot of research into these plans.  Feel free to contact me off line if you have specific questions.

Chris
Formerly: 2002 30' IB

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 109121
Hi Andy, AT&T's customer service doesn't seem to be getting any better, either.
The AT&T "customer service" lady was literally yelling at my friend Saturday telling him he shouldn't use roaming so much...if there was no signal it was his fault for being where was was none!
 I have the pc air card (the USB one is better from what I've read here). I did get coverage in some out of the way places, but boondocking.... just cant' count on that.
 The 5 G limit might be ok.... IF people would stop forwarding me all those "Forward this now or the world would will end" messages with 5 or 6 really cute to the point of nauseating pics! Fortunately Yahoo keeps the email on their server, but in some cases it's better to download everything and then go thru the mail, as when watching that 5 G limit or in a place with a limited/dropping off signal.
 And uploading pics to my SmugMug and Webshots accts... that 5 g's gets eaten up very fast. (I already have a plan with my phone for internet (another $40 a month) but where I'm living now in south Texas, even in a real house, the signal is so low that I cannot download any apps for the phone!) The only way to upload hi-res photos or videos on the computer even with the DSL WiFi here is to use a patch cord. The WiFi just doesn't work.
 I will check on the Wilson antenna and booster... the pc aircard I have has an external antenna, cable is about 7 feet long. It worked ok when I used it, but I was still within Verizon's "corridors" for cell service. Yeah, I do realize I'm talking about two different services at once!
 Thanks, even tho  I don't have a LD, you folks here have way more hard earned knowledge than any other rv forum I've run across. The only other one that even comes close is MotorhomesP-30GM@yahoogroups.com Those guys have the P30 chassis with it's many faults and flukes (I had a 1977 Holiday Rambler). If nothing else, the LD is built WAY better than anything else out there for anything even close to the price... Yes, I'd like a Travelodge or a Prevost, but that's right up with winning the lottery!

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Mary aka Krashdragon

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 109123
"The 5 G limit might be ok.... IF people would stop forwarding me all those 'Forward this now or the world would will end' messages with 5 or 6 really cute to the point of nauseating pics!"
 And including the entire text of previous posts when they post a reply to this group. ;-)
 If you're using Apple's Mail.app, try this: Go to Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Advanced and use option "Prompt me to skip messages over ___ KB." I set it to 100KB, which blocks most of the kind of stuff you're talking about. When a bigger message shows up, *before downloading it* Mail asks you for permission. If you say no, it will never be downloaded, so bandwidth isn't wasted.

Andy Baird

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 109127
I said "You might even be able to 'tether' your current phone to your computer, effectively using the phone itself as a cell modem... You'll still need the $60-a-month data account, though."

I was wrong: tethering is $50 a month with Verizon.

Andy Baird

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 109131
"I only pay $15 per month with Verizon to tether my Blackberry."
 Different plan, Jim. Check your bandwidth cap--I'm betting it's way lower than the 5 GB a month we've been talking about. Either that, or the $50 broadband fee is already built into your plan's base price.

Andy Baird

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 109135
I said "You might even be able to 'tether' your current phone to your computer, effectively using the phone itself as a cell modem... You'll still need the $60-a-month data account, though."

I was wrong: tethering is $50 a month with Verizon.

This is exactly what we do Andy. Since we only need access periodically, I call Verizon and get the 5gb/month access turned on when we plan to hit the road. When we get back home, we call again and get it turned off.
This worked quite well when we were out last summer for about 6 weeks. I do have a phone that can be tethered and the VZaccess software can be downloaded for free. Ithink it is currently $50.00/month but they supposedly prorate it if you turn it off in midmonth.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 109138
Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions...
I guess I'm spoiled form living in big cities... I just want the same service in the middle of nowhere! I do think it's very unfair that AT&T advertises "roaming" availabiliy, but has a hissy fit when someone actually has to use it....

Thanks again to everyone.
Mary aka Krahsdragon

Verizon "Droid" and the internet
Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 109186
Does anyone in this group have any experience with using the Verizon "Droid" as a cell phone modem? What plan would be best to sign up for? Where does one get the necessary connection cables?

We recently completed our two year plan using the Verizon USB device for mobile broadband and decided not to renew because we only used it about 3 months a year.
Under the old plan, we had to pay for at least nine months each year.
 Previous posts on this site indicate that when using the cell phone as a modem, we could activate and deactivate the 5G monthly limit as needed.
This seems like a better and less expensive way to go.
 The "Droid" comes with the features of sending and receiving emails and viewing the Internet.
These features are nice for limited use.
The reason for the above questions is that we will occasionally be needing more than limited use while traveling.

David and Verna 2004 MB

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Re: Verizon "Droid" and the internet
Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 109188
"Does anyone in this group have any experience with using the Verizon "Droid" as a cell phone modem? What plan would be best to sign up for? Where does one get the necessary connection cables?"

David and Verna 2004 MB
David and Verna, if you have not joined/visited the Internet By Cell Phone Yahoo group, you should because posters there can answer your questions.  There have been recent discussions about the Droid and the suspendable Mobile Broadband Connect plan that would best serve you.  Googling "computer connection cables for Motorola Droid" will get you a long list of suppliers.

Chris

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 109189

"Does anyone in this group have any experience with using the Verizon "Droid" as a cell phone modem? What plan would be best to sign up for? Where does one get the necessary connection cables?"

David and Verna 2004 MB
 "David and Verna, if you have not joined/visited the Internet By Cell Phone Yahoo group, you should because posters there can answer your questions.  There have been recent discussions about the Droid and the suspendable Mobile Broadband Connect plan that would best serve you.  Googling "computer connection cables for Motorola Droid" will get you a long list of suppliers.
"

Chris
PS:  I forgot when posting the message above that the Motorola Droid is not yet tetherable to a computer.  Rumors say that it will have that capacity soon.  The Verizon site will tell you which phones can be tethered to your computer. Just log in and click on "upgrade my phone" and follow the prompts.

Chris

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 109193
PS:  I forgot when posting the message above that the Motorola Droid is not yet tetherable to a computer.
David,
 There's an article in Lifehacker  that describes 3 methods of tethering an Android phone.  PLEASE don't attempt methods 1 or 2.  Method 3 uses an application called PDAnet that you can download to your phone.  According to the article, the free version supports bluetooth so there's no need for a cable.  The $30 pay version enables https (ssl) support.  I don't know enough about Verizon data plans to comment on that.

Good luck...

Dave